S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 announced.....and its coming to consoles too :P

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
Shame there are no mods to make good on the original big promises, for example seamless environment, terrain that would actually randomly MORPH and DEFORM with each blowout and stuff.

That's all bullshit. X-Ray could never display seamless environments or handle real-time terrain deformation. Ever since Build 1114, the first STALKER build, the Zone was divided into arbitrary levels and no build featured any kind of terrain deformation.

Stop perpetuating what's patently false.

That's all bullshit. X-Ray could never display seamless environments or handle real-time terrain deformation. Ever since Build 1114, the first STALKER build, the Zone was divided into arbitrary levels and no build featured any kind of terrain deformation.

Stop perpetuating what's patently false.
http://web.archive.org/web/20040417...e.com/index.php?t=game&s=gameplay&ss=features

Here you got one of them.

On their OWN official website, so it was THEM who perpetuated what was patently false if that's the case.

I quote.

"Absolute freedom of movement with imperceptible level loading."

Why they do not specficailly say seamless, that was what people interpreted that as back then, including gaming journalists.

And personally, I would surely consider the "level loading" in the STALKER games to be perceptible, wouldn't you?

I don't think Halo is a good example seeing as it was originally a Mac RTS. The final game couldn't really have been more different unless it was a survival horror. It's not just a case of being cut down.

You know which version I'm talking about dude.

I actually don't, I never followed Halo's development.

Ah right, well Halo was originally a PC game that was featured a massive play area that the player would have to traverse to complete his missions, and it actually made sense to have the Warthogs and Pelicans in the game as they were needed to get across the maps. When Microsoft got their hooks into Bungie the game was stripped down and re-designed as a linear shooter with samey building architecture.

Now think about the kind of game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is and how limited the 360's memory is and I think you can see my concern.

I guess it's the same reason why when Crysis 2 was announced as multiplatform it was easy to see why the game's been limited to a city, making it easy to make linear levels and fit them on the consoles. They could have never made the original game on todays consoles.

stemot, that was the first form revealed to the public yes, I have the old trailer of it from a very old PCGamer mag, however, before that, there was an iteration of Halo that was an RTS, same basic setting, but it was an RTS, then they decided to scrap that idea and go for FPS.

Anyway, the latest Halo on the 360, Reach, supposedly incorporates more from the old FPS concept, including some wild-life from what I've gathered, I recall the original Halo PC trailer having dinosaur-like creatures, no?

Also, you mentioning Crysis 2, Far Cry 2 had a fairly large non-linear 'level', and it was an FPS, no? And it was multiplatform too I might add.

You know, I gotta ask, do you own the PS3 or XB360?

Halo looked cool when it had the dinos.

I still like Halo, I know I'm probably in minority here about that but still, they're not OMG BEST FPS EVER, but they're still good IMO, and definitely 7/10 to 8/10 games for me.

stemot, that was the first form revealed to the public yes, I have the old trailer of it from a very old PCGamer mag, however, before that, there was an iteration of Halo that was an RTS, same basic setting, but it was an RTS, then they decided to scrap that idea and go for FPS.

Anyway, the latest Halo on the 360, Reach, supposedly incorporates more from the old FPS concept, including some wild-life from what I've gathered, I recall the original Halo PC trailer having dinosaur-like creatures, no?

Also, you mentioning Crysis 2, Far Cry 2 had a fairly large non-linear 'level', and it was an FPS, no? And it was multiplatform too I might add.

You know, I gotta ask, do you own the PS3 or XB360?

My point still remains though, as soon as Microsoft took hold of the Halo FPS it was reduced from it's free roaming vision.

Far Cry 2 may have had a big map, but be honest, it didn't have that much else going on in it. I own a 360 which I have touched around 4 times to actually play games. I'll use my PC every time if I can.

actually bungie changed it from what it was to what it is now because they thought the 3rd person free roam elements with dinosaurs was terrible. it wasn't working; they premiered it at macworld or some event and it was buggy, unplayable and didn't go down well at all. i think.

listen to any bungie podcasts with members of the old chicago team, they talk about it there

Oh damn, I had totally forgotten that the game demonstrated at MacWorld was actually a third-person game, I thought it was just for trailer!

actually bungie changed it from what it was to what it is now because they thought the 3rd person free roam elements with dinosaurs was terrible. it wasn't working; they premiered it at macworld or some event and it was buggy, unplayable and didn't go down well at all. i think.

listen to any bungie podcasts with members of the old chicago team, they talk about it there

You actually believe this? A complete game redesign happens as soon as they are bought by MS? They didn't just alter the things that didn't work and lets be honest, what they ended up with wasn't very good at all but it was the first real console FPS so it sold like hot cakes.
They did the same with Alan Wake, some of the things that were planned when it was a PC exclusive never made it into the 360 version. I would love to be proven wrong when Stalker 2 is released, simply because I know so many people love it but I have a horrible feeling everyones going to get a considerable case of consolitis.

Oh, while I remember, I know it was a different team, but look at how the multi platform sequel to OpFlash turned out. I'd be worried.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040417...e.com/index.php?t=game&s=gameplay&ss=features

Here you got one of them.

On their OWN official website, so it was THEM who perpetuated what was patently false if that's the case.

I quote.

"Absolute freedom of movement with imperceptible level loading."

Why they do not specficailly say seamless, that was what people interpreted that as back then, including gaming journalists.

And personally, I would surely consider the "level loading" in the STALKER games to be perceptible, wouldn't you?

Yet it is you who want the return of features that were never meant to be in STALKER in the first place. GSC was making a lot of big claims in the past, despite the fact that they would not be able to meet them all, especially not the "seamless zone" feature.

I have patiently collected twelve STALKER:SHOC builds: 1098, 1114, 1154, 1472, 1475, 1510, 1580, 1717, 1844, 1935, 2205, 2232. Not a single one of them, from the earliest one to the latest, shows any sign of those features.

Furthermore, Call of Pripyat showed that X-Ray cannot work with massive environments without you having an exorbitant gaming rig to run it on max settings.

I just finished Call of Poopy-Rat a few months ago. Eventually going to get around to Clear Sky, but I couldn't find many mods for it, I ain't playin Clear Sky Vanilla.

Yet it is you who want the return of features that were never meant to be in STALKER in the first place. GSC was making a lot of big claims in the past, despite the fact that they would not be able to meet them all, especially not the "seamless zone" feature.

I have patiently collected twelve STALKER:SHOC builds: 1098, 1114, 1154, 1472, 1475, 1510, 1580, 1717, 1844, 1935, 2205, 2232. Not a single one of them, from the earliest one to the latest, shows any sign of those features.

Furthermore, Call of Pripyat showed that X-Ray cannot work with massive environments without you having an exorbitant gaming rig to run it on max settings.
His original comment was, "shame mods can't make good on their original promises." GSC promised it and didn't deliver. Mods can't fix it because of engine shortcomings. Which part of this is Garg spreading things that are "patently false"?

Seriously, tone the fan loyalty down a notch. :|

^Thanks for saving me the trouble.

I think you are getting way too upset Tag, especially when I wasn't wrong from the beginning, they did promise the feature, which was what I claimed.

You need to calm the **** down and accept that STALKER devs made mistakes and promised shit they shouldn't have, which meant they lied to their consumer.

I might add going through the archive.org records, that claim was still on the features list even in 2006. A year and less prior to release.

I'm not defending GSC, I just don't want people to spread false ideas that it was ever possible with X-Ray. In my book, making impossible claims does not constitute a promise of any sort.

Might just be the lawyer brain speaking, though.

Perhaps not a promise but you must certainly be able to see how people grew to expect the feature given that it was listed on the official website for over 3 years.

You actually believe this? A complete game redesign happens as soon as they are bought by MS? They didn't just alter the things that didn't work and lets be honest, what they ended up with wasn't very good at all but it was the first real console FPS so it sold like hot cakes.

i believe what i've heard on podcasts and in interviews, yeah, because i agree with what they are saying - it wasn't/didn't look very good. you might not like halo but i and millions of others do and it's not because it was the ''first real console FPS'' because that isn't true, is it? goldeneye and perfect dark took that market by storm long before. lets be honest, what they could of shipped the game as might not of been very good at all either, but between the two, if the designers of the game who have been with bungie from the start say that the FPS route was what they wanted to do, then i'm going to take their word for it. looks like it worked out just fine for them, too.

Is it easy to mod the steam version? - if so i'll pick up cop.

Easier to than the retail version IMO

How's it easier? I've never modded it but when I actually found out there were mods, I had already grown tired of running 10,000 miles to do anything in the game. I might pick up CoP and reinstall the original and actually beat it or whatever it is you do in it.

I dunno, installing mods for my retail version never worked, also, one day my retail version simply wouldn't install. However installing mods for my Steam version was cake.

Is it easy to mod the steam version? - if so i'll pick up cop.

CoP doesn't have a whole lot of mods for it yet(good complete ones, rather), and it's pretty awesome on its own. SHoC has plenty.

CoP has some great environment mods; I played in a beautiful Chernobyl, overgrown with greenery.

I'm waiting to get a comp good enough to run CoP with decent performance..:(

Anyone care to give me one?:p

Lol how horrible is your machine? I mean even my dated rig can run it on at least minimum and get playable performance.

Oh, I don't run shit on minimum, I can play ASCII games fine but something about running games on low just tend to make modern 3D games look so stale, even moreso than say playing System Shock 1 in DOSBox.:p

Anyway, my comp's from late '06, Core 2 Duo E6600, 2 gigs of some damned RAM, an SB X-Fi, a XFX GeForce 7900GT 256MB :[

You get the idea.

I do have the money to buy a new comp but since I don't build shit myself due to laziness and fear of ****ing up, it costs a bit more too, not to mention Swedish computer part prices to begin with aren't nearly as cheap as say newegg and stuff.

Don't buy brand stuff like Dell etc though, there's a good Scandinavian computer store chain that lets you pick all the individual components yourself, but they put it together for you and gives you a 3 year collected warranty with them for a fairly okay price.

>_>

3800+ X2, 2 gig DDR1, 7950GT.

Game is worth playing bro. 1680x1050, medium/high settings (static lighting).

Don't actually own it, just SoC Collector's Edition and Clear Sky Regular(Both retail.)

I might buy it in the future but I dunno, even Clear Sky ran like shit on my comp on decent-looking settings it felt like, don't expect Call of Pripyat to run much better.

I really should just decide to buy a new comp and do it..

CoP runs better for me than CS, even with CS on minimum...But if you want a better experience go for it. I know that I'll be replaying a shitton of stuff including all these when I get something better.

I have a hard time replaying games these days because I have such a huge backlog and I feel I can't take the time to play through a game I've already finished once, sadly.

Just picked up the Stalker deal yesterday. What are some good mods for SoC?

I'm of the opinion that Complete 2009 is the best big mod for the first game.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

It makes the game look and feel nicer and more detailed, and touches upon many gameplay aspects without overdoing it (like OL does) by introducing buggy and half-baked features like vehicles (which bounce off the map when driven into an anomaly) and badly-realized mutants that were cut for a reason.

Complete 2009 is even good for a first playthrough, because it gives the game a few licks of paint but doesn't mess with the gameplay too much. Oblivion Lost is a bloated and buggy compilation by comparison.

Back