Say goodbye to HDTV

Reaction score
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/03/california-tv.html

The California Energy Commission is going ahead with a proposal this summer that promises to ban State shops from selling televisions not considered energy efficient.

The program's 2013 second stage promises to reduce energy use by 49%. If they are enforced, the new standards are expected to save Californians between $18 and $30 a year (per TV set) in energy costs. As noted by the Commission, current LCDs use about .27-watts per square inch and plasmas use 0.36-watts per square inch.

Of all things to regulate... OUR TELEVISION SETS?!?!

If people want to use their energy for televisions, they should be able to.

people shouldn't buy 62" screens and sit 15 feet back. they should buy 32" screens and sit 4 feet back. same picture size, better picture quality, better price. at least thats how i do things round here

Shit man, We have an old fashioned TV and sit like 10 feet back.

... Am I the only one who does not sit as close as 4 or 6 feet to the TV?

Edit: Besides Raz

people shouldn't buy 62" screens and sit 15 feet back. they should buy 32" screens and sit 4 feet back. same picture size, better picture quality, better price. at least thats how i do things round here

Get your communist ass off my internet, damnit

If someone can afford a 100000000000 inch HDTV, go for it.

Woo, an extra 30 dollars to spend on hookers and crack.

I sit 10 ft away from my 61"

There's the option to sit 15-20 ft back too, done it before, not as awesome.
Done it closer, not as awesome. 10ft is optimal.

Woo, an extra 30 dollars to spend on crackers and a hook.

government shouldn't be telling people what kind of TV's it can buy.....jeez

Well, you can only hope this forces quicker development of OLED TVs.

Oh my, a regulation that actually aims to aid the environment?

Television is boring anyways.

Windmills are a scam. It costs far, far more energy to have one up and running than it gives in return. Count how much oil is wasted on parts, fuel, plastics etc. to transport and erect one. Plus, there are very, very few places where windmills are actually feasible.

I sit 10 ft away from my 61"

There's the option to sit 15-20 ft back too, done it before, not as awesome.
Done it closer, not as awesome. 10ft is optimal.

60'' about 8-9 feet away = prime.

Plus if they wanted to clean the environment up there are so many other better ways of doing this. Electricity is the least of our worries.

Windmills are a scam. It costs far, far more energy to have one up and running than it gives in return. Count how much oil is wasted on parts, fuel, plastics etc. to transport and erect one. Plus, there are very, very few places where windmills are actually feasible.

Wind turbines aren't a scam.

There are lots of problems associated with them and various criticisms, but they are a relatively new source of energy all things considered.

I'm not talking windmills here, I'm talking modern wind turbines. With advances in technology and research and development they will be a more viable force.

The wind IS something we need to harness.

Or alternate energy sources.
Maybe it is finally the time to start one. There are dozens of plans and projects (at least in Novosibirsk), but new energy would crash the economics; also, any new plan needs funding and businessmen don't want to start a new market, it's somewhat risky.

One country making regulations isn't going to save our planet.

And therefore its not worth doing right? I could drive a hybrid and stop polluting as much as I currently do, but since it doesnt completely 100% solve the problem, I might as well not do it. Good idea. Let me know when you have more great ideas like this. I'd love to make fun of them more.

And all this is going to do is put California electronics shops out of business. Nothing else, since people will just order their HDTVs online or get them from out of state.

Right now my parents are going through this phase (because of a high electricity bill) where if there's nothing on TV, the TV is not allowed to be on. Now, I think that my parents, AND this government imposing the change, are doing the wrong thing.

Who's to say that it's the televisions that are sapping all the energy? Just.... make sure to turn off lights when you leave a room, etc. The basic crap. Don't ruin television! Nothing is closer to a God than a television.

My uncle, in his house, has always had a policy that all power sources be turned completely off, even the power they consume while being off.

It's a smart idea, as it'll save him money on his bill since a surprising number of things use a lot of energy even though they're 'off'.

I don't have that kind of willpower though. I don't like having to switch my power bars off and back on all the time, for everything when I want to use it and am done using it.

My computer eats up a lot of power and I leave this bitch on all the time. But then, its actually doing something even when im not using it, like downloading or encoding.

I sit about a foot away from my 19".

Am I right.

My brother has a 37'' HDTV in his room.

The room is so small, the couch it about 4 feet away from it.

It's ****ing awesome.

my friend has a 52" in his room and sits about 3 feet away because his room is so small. when his 360 and PC are on its about 90 degrees in there. I told him the reason why your 360 keeps crashing is because you have wayyyy too much heat in the room but he didn't listen much. I hated his TV because it was too hott and too big for where we were seated

Ah more bullshit targetting and blaming the consumer rather then government who pays lip service to the green agenda and big business which continues to do **** all.

If people wanna pay extra bucks for the energy to run a nice big inefficient TV thats their choice.

How about California forces its power stations to switch to other sources, and manufacturers to build more efficient products.

Oh wait, stupid me, that's targeting the real culprits, why bother when you can tax/**** over regular people.

For the record my computer is left on all day, even doing nothing, it saves me having to turn it back on every time.

My TV is also while I am at home even if I am not watching it...why?, because I cant ****ing stand silence, at least not all the time.

Yes, I even turned off the power saving auto-standby mode off on my Sky box, yeah, I did that, behold as I override the new greener Sky broadcasting corporation and decide for myself when I want to turn or turn off my electrical doohickers and decide for myself if I give a shit about saving energy.

Likewise, sometimes I just throw my coke bottles in the bin, why?, because I cant be ****ed taking off the label and cap which go in the bin anyway, and flattening the bottle and sending it to be recycled.

I don't like wind turbines, there, I said it, I know I know, gasp inducing evil, but **** it, I hate them, they are ugly SoB's planted on the very places green politics are supposed to protect, lets save the environment by building more eye sores on it!, yeah...that's smart... all we need to do is build them ****ing everywhere and we'll meet about a smidget of the entire country's energy needs.

I use the cheapo plastic bags available at supermarkets, **** yeah, I am that cool, I don't need to mutha truckin' 50p re-usable bag, I just grab a handful of those there cheapo plastic ones that kill every cute little wild animal that looks at it and stuff my shopping in there.

Get this, I ****ing leave my lights on at night when I need to see and shit, yeah ****ing right man I am a maverick, also I only use energy saving lightbulbs because I got them free, blood betta know like that when they burn out I'm buying cheap, son!.

I admit I like the countryside and the nicer bits of the country just because they are nice and I personally like them instead of just because its fashionable.

**** man, you dunno what I'm gonna do next, I might drop a bit of litter on the street, or break a twig off a tree/bush and play with it on a sunny day, hell, I might even squash a nasty lookin' bug in my house, I'm a ****ing environmental terrorist man.

Or not.

Right now my parents are going through this phase (because of a high electricity bill) where if there's nothing on TV, the TV is not allowed to be on.
Good idea imo.

Back