Scale of the Universe (****ing cool)

Giant Earthworms? Wut?

2lvek2t.jpg

VERY awesome though.

29lnrdt.jpg

Broke for me, so i reloaded and it worked.

Quite cool, wish they made it easier to scroll, kept flying past shit. xD

It worked the second time I clicked it.

That was pretty cool.

Wroks for me now.

EDIT:THAT IS BIG

Very nice find.

EDIT 2:

This what the Universe looks like for someone REALLY BIG and with dark matter glasses.

Local_galaxy_filaments_2.gif

Works now, thats freaking badass. Too bad teachers cant use this to teach students because schools filter the internets.

How can anyone look at that and not think the universe is just stupid!

Really it makes no ****ing sense.

My internet was filtered in primary (elementary) and high school.

No, I look at that and think soooooooo much reale$tate!

According to one theory, you can't actually leave the Universe. If you leave the Earth and go in a straight line you would eventually encounter the Earth again. One way to think of it would be like in Portal with the character endlessly falling, but never actually leaving the room. So according to this theory it's like that except in all possible directions.

Cool little game, but the scroll bar was extra sensitive, which was a pain.

Giant Earthworms? Wut?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Earthworm

The giant Gippsland earthworm, Megascolides australis, is one of Australia's 1,000 native earthworm species. These Giant earthworms average at 100 cm long and 2 cm in diameter and can reach 3 m in length.
Yeah okay now I'm scared.

Did you even pick your own avatar or did you just bring up google image search and roll your face across the keyboard?

Alternative joke: "the universe" more like YOUR FACE. Swish.

According to one theory, you can't actually leave the Universe. If you leave the Earth and go in a straight line you would eventually encounter the Earth again. One way to think of it would be like in Portal with the character endlessly falling, but never actually leaving the room. So according to this theory it's like that except in all possible directions.

This seems to have to do with dimensions and what not. One could say that our universe is on more than just a 3d plane that lies currently beyond our comprehension, which could explain the loop you described. It's nigh impossible for us to fully understand this concept, as it's the same thing to a 2d being trying to describe the 3d plane as "up, not north." We are unable to see this other dimension, because our eyes lie on the 3d plane. But the thing is, we can see it, in fact, we wouldn't be able to see anything without the next plane. For a 2d being to see something else in its dimension, it must be able to see the thickness of an object. This infers that despite thinking it sees the object in 2d, the being actually sees it on a 3rd dimension. Perhaps some day, humans will be able to recognize the 3d equivalent to "up, not north" and be able to understand the universe, but not for a long time.

Of course, I could be misconceptualizing, since we can actually only see 2d images and I'm too tired to change my post.

/nerd rant

Oh, and shut up jverne.

This seems to have to do with dimensions and what not. One could say that our universe is on more than just a 3d plane that lies currently beyond our comprehension, which could explain the loop you described.
The explanation given is that our universe is the surface of a 4D sphere (3 x space + 1 x time). As such, by moving in a straight line we are actually moving in a circle on the 4-sphere.

But the thing is, we can see it, in fact, we wouldn't be able to see anything without the next plane.
Perhaps some day, humans will be able to recognize the 3d equivalent to "up, not north" and be able to understand the universe, but not for a long time.
Unlikely. Our instruments may detect higher dimensions, but if there are any, they'd certainly be very shallow (~ Planck length). Otherwise particles from our world would move freely in that plane. We'd see particles (including photons) pop in and out of sight all the time.

isnt the universe like infinite and shit?

Someone is misinformed on macrophysics.

Yeah I just made the word up, but it's legit.

Interesting find. There must be other life out there.. i mean come on, look at the freakin size of it!!

Notice how they run out of nameswhen calling a planet, solar system etc... they use Sombrero Universe hahah..

Anyone seen the film K-Pax.. cool film

I rather enjoyed that, considering i never really knew about the absolute smallest and largest things.

We just watched a powerpoint about this in science class. It gave me a headache.

I've always wondered if you were riding on the original photons/particles emitted from the Big Bang, what would you be seeing?

Back