Should schools have the right to punish for things said on FB?

unozero

Tank
Reaction score
A 13-year-old seventh grader posted a message about her teacher on Facebook, which landed her a school suspension.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2011/05/20/drew.facebook.suspension.hln?hpt=C2

People say things when they're mad (obliviously) .back when I was in School the whole myspace thing was just catching on it was more about ICQ and MSNM so they're were no public walls or whatever like today.
So I can't really relate to kids these days cuz it's all different. I really don't think the School should have handles this the way they did though,they should have called her mom and not make this in to a big public thing,that seemed like the common sense thing to do. I noticed this is happening alot though. Parents aren't even notified when they're Kids **** up some how the go straight to suspension etc.

Also I can't believe that lawyer bitch is asking for the Internet to be more regulated. (ALL MY RAGGGGEEE.)

Should schools have the right to punish for things said on FB?

No they should not. The school's jurisdiction ends when you leave the school grounds.

I think that since these are children that in most cases it's better for the school to deal with it than to have it carry on and become a big problem (I'm also thinking about problems that would otherwise end up with the police). Schools should take some responsibility for the whole of the kids education and if this teaches that you can't just publish crap allover the place then it's a good thing.

Schools should take some responsibility for the whole of the kids education and if this teaches that you can't just publish crap allover the place then it's a good thing.

Parents are responsible for the whole of the kids education. Schools are responsible only for what happens while on school property. And actually you can publish "crap" all over the place.

Wait, shouldn't this be covered by freedom of speech?

What he said.

You can just publish crap all over the place. Sure, there will be consequences, but this isn't one of them. Virtually every teacher I've ever had has been trained to reinforce how permanent and dangerous what you do on the internet is at the ringing of a bell. Kids will listen or they won't. If this wasn't done from a school computer then it's just like punishing someone for talking badly about their teacher with their friends in their own home. This is definitely not a gray area.

If this wasn't done from a school computer this is just like punishing for someone for talking badly about their teacher with their friends in their own home.

That's just the thing, if it was done on a school computer I would agree that they would be well within their rights to punish him, but that's simply not the case here.

OK so you all agree so the question why can't the School see this as well?

Because the man will never see it the way we do.

It's only a matter of time before this spills over into other areas of teaching!

"That bitch didn't like my funny animals video! Let's see if I 'like' her report on zebras."

A good friend of mine got suspended in high-school for making a fake myspace profile of our principal. She pressed charges against him for identity theft and tried to get him expelled from the district. He made a formal apology to her and got most of the charges dropped. The dumbest part about the whole situation? The profile was a picture of her from our past years yearbook, and her name.

Wait, shouldn't this be covered by freedom of speech?

Again, children aren't adults and so don't have full rights. You can't pull freedom of speech when it comes to kids, especially on school grounds.

However that was on the internet and so no the school can't (or, shouldn't) punish you when you're not on school grounds.

The dumbest part about the whole situation? The profile was a picture of her from our past years yearbook, and her name.

I don't get how thats the dumbest part, I don't get how its significant at all in fact. Is the fact that he used her picture and name to make a fake myspace page something we shouldn't have expected or something? At any rate the dumbest part was when he made the profile and pretended to be her. That actually is against the law, unless its deliberately a parody and includes a publicly viewable disclaimer stating it as one.

It seems to me the presumption should still be in favour of minors holding any given right, and rights that they don't posses should be justified exceptions. Raising the blanket excuse that they are not full adults for random concerns like this is fairly corrupt. At least there is a supposed reason for refusing minors the right to drink, vote, smoke, marry and have sex, though the reason may hold up to varying degrees for each of these rights.

In fact, I'd say minors especially should have the right to free speech, considering how much more likely they are than an adult to say something they didn't properly think about.

Whoever thought that one up is ****ed in the head TBH.
Yup. Children should be able to do or say whatever they like and drink and have sex as much as they please and shouldn't need a guardian's permission to do anything.

A similar thing happened in my school after I had left. Some asshole kid made some very nasty comments about my mother - a teacher at the school - on the school's facebook page. Little dickhead got the book thrown at him and ****ing deserved it.

Yup. Children should be able to do or say whatever they like and drink and have sex as much as they please and shouldn't need a guardian's permission to do anything.

Yup.

Disclaimer:

I hate kids

Back