Show us your Christmas tree!

morgs

The Freeman
Reaction score
Got our tree up yesterday, decorated it today.

*ninja edit*

fwlksl.jpg

Looking good! I'll have a pic of mine once I'm back home on the 20th or so.

Nice. I don't have one in my apartment and my parents got too lazy to put theirs up anymore. So all they have now is a mini tree.

This is an extremely sick ritual that makes absolutely no sense. Cut down tree, hang trinkets from it, throw it in the trash.

EDIT: Morgs, that tree is ugly. First of all, it's got all these baubles and shit on it. What in the ****? Also, it has no roots. And you have a tree in your house. That looks pretty shoddy. I mean, sometimes I get a little grass growing from the cracks in the sidewalk, but this is just crazy.

Some of us have plastic trees :p
Also, some cities have composting programs, although plastic is more the way to go IF you use the same one for a long time (like 10+ years).

This is an extremely sick ritual that makes absolutely no sense. Cut down tree, hang trinkets from it, throw it in the trash.

EDIT: Morgs, that tree is ugly. First of all, it's got all these baubles and shit on it. What in the ****? Also, it has no roots. And you have a tree in your house. That looks pretty shoddy. I mean, sometimes I get a little grass growing from the cracks in the sidewalk, but this is just crazy.

O HAI

grinch.png

Mine will be up shortly. My mom put it up and bought it so I had no part. It still looks nice!

You guys are really just now getting your trees? We've had ours since the weekend after Thanksgiving. I guess we're just more festive than you.

Of course, my family went out and found the tree, chopped it down, brought it home, and decorated it all while I was asleep, so maybe not.

Pic later, if I remember.

I don't have a tree, since I'm traveling for Christmas. I'll take a picture of mine when I go home. It's an artificial tree, probably 15 years old now, but I think it looks beautiful decorated and in the space where it's put.

If I show you my Christmas tree, will you show me your Christmas balls?

GO AWAY EBENEZERTYPE2.

I know there's a giant tree there, but all I'm thinking is "Awwwww bunny."

but on topic, I don't think I've ever seen a tree topper before that I've actually liked.

Nice tree! I like the nebula of colors and the varying sizes of the lights.

I would, but our tree this year is tiny & kinda crappy. So to save myself social embarrassment I won't be posting a pic.

Merry Christmas e'rybody!

MXbGh.jpg

Let me enlighten you guys on feeling good for the holidays. Instead of contributing to tree genocide, you can foster new life.

q2YhZ.jpg

It doesn't have to be a baby, for example here is a young living tree you could buy

4snSy.jpg

Full adult trees are handy for things like breathing, shade, paper, and home building, and we don't have enough on this planet. Less trees all the time, more people all the time.

Here's where you can learn which tree types are suitable for planting in your area: http://myg.info/index.php/tag/christmas/

For example, the popular Douglas Fir likes these conditions: http://oakmediacreations.com/myg/plants/closeup.mv?PlantID=000187

An interesting start up in Canada has a clever idea:
Instead of selling cut trees, they sell live potted trees decorated for the holidays. The after the festivities are over these tow firms will pick up the trees and take care of them until next year.

Evergrow Christmas Trees and Carbonsync Christmas will drop off a potted tree at your home or business and pick it up three weeks later after all the presents have been opened and Santa has parked his sleigh. Carbonsync plans to donate its trees to habitat restoration groups for replanting after Christmas, while Evergrow says it will return them to a nursery to be cared for until next Christmas when they may be rented out again.
http://naturescrusaders.wordpress.c...es-smiling-and-we-breathe-less-co2-this-year/

You can rent the same one year after year, if you ask.

mg6Mr.jpg

They are delivered and picked up after 3 weeks. They may come already decorated, for a convenience that some may appreciate.

PafaU.jpg

You can call me a weirdo, but look at yourselves. Putting death sentenced trees in your homes with wicked lights and throwing them out, it's just ****ing sick.

Let's all grow up and evolve beyond the lost and muddled traditions and grow stronger.

Think about it. Merry Christmas, friends.

Nobody in my extended family uses a real tree.

Is that an exponential decay or an exponential increase?

Your posts are getting exponentially worse.
Hahaha, does it kill you to see big breasts or marijuana plants? But both are quite useful. You may change your mind one day.

Marijuana must be the safest, most harmless known drug in existence, when administered in a smoke-free way. And unlike over the counter 'pain-killers', marijuana can actually make you feel good, instead of just dulling pain.

Sorry, I'm kind of messing up this thread, I'll admit. I'm just so sick of this world stuck in these ancient, obsolete ideas, misconceptions and ways. I can't stand idle and silent.

EDIT: I can't find my Christmas Avatars. *:(

I've head a real tree every year since I was born and it'll probably stay that way. The place I get mine from grow them especially for Christmas and regrow them in the same spot every year, it's not like we're De-foresting or anything.

Virus you do know that these trees are bred specifically for this purpose, right?

imag0006nx.jpg

You can call me a weirdo, but look at yourselves. Putting death sentenced trees in your homes with wicked lights and throwing them out, it's just ****ing sick.

Let's all grow up and evolve beyond the lost and muddled traditions and grow stronger.

Think about it. Merry Christmas, friends.

It's weird, because I was always a lot more happy using an artificial tree than a real one. I always get this guilty, sad feeling when I see someone's perfect, proud looking live tree that got cut down just to be thrown away after a few weeks, and I'm far from being a tree hugger in most respects. I didn't know there were services to rent live ones, but that sounds really cool. It's like a fun Christmas adventure for the tree, lol.

I've head a real tree every year since I was born and it'll probably stay that way. The place I get mine from grow them especially for Christmas and regrow them in the same spot every year, it's not like we're De-foresting or anything.
I have seen people go out into the woods and cut one down as well. But either way, I'm not judging anyone here, in all seriousness.

I was intentionally sounding militaristic so that I can call attention to this, to throw some ideas out there that I have been thinking about. I am beginning to think this issue might be a very big deal in our lifetimes. So, I'm just offering for your serious consideration: making some changes that could make a significant difference if it became widespread.

The problem is that - on a daily basis - more trees come down than go up. It's a world wide problem. Meanwhile the human population continues to increase. This is completely unsustainable.

I have donated a lot of money to protecting the Amazon rainforest. Loggers were just laying waste to it all.

Scientists know there are extremely important things to be discovered there, many chemical, technological and biological discoveries that would be useful.
the Amazonian rainforests have unparalleled biodiversity. One in ten known species in the world lives in the Amazon Rainforest.[17] This constitutes the largest collection of living plants and animal species in the world.

The region is home to about 2.5 million insect species, tens of thousands of plants, and some 2,000 birds and mammals. To date, at least 40,000 plant species, 3,000 fish, 1,294 birds, 427 mammals, 428 amphibians, and 378 reptiles have been scientifically classified in the region. One in five of all the birds in the world live in the rainforests of the Amazon. Scientists have described between 96,660 and 128,843 invertebrate species in Brazil alone.

The diversity of plant species is the highest on Earth with some experts estimating that one square kilometer may contain more than a thousand types of trees and thousands of species of other higher plants. According to a 2001 study, a quarter square kilometer of Ecuadorian rainforest supports more than 1,100 tree species.
If you read stuff like this, you might become concerned, as I have: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_rainforest

So getting back to my point: It takes moments to cut a tree down, and decades to grow. We need more trees. It's all well that these are raised to be killed, but we need to plant some. I have never planted one. Have you? Our class planted one when I was a kid. I have certainly taken part in the cutting down and accidental stomping on baby trees in my life though.

Fun fact

The world's oldest clonal tree is the Old Tjikko, a Norway Spruce tree to be found on the Fulu Mountain in Dalarna, Sweden. According to scientists at Umeå University the tree is 9550 years old, taking root at the end of the last ice age.

The rainforest issue really is sad. Even sadder that the rainforest actually needs to be kept intact to sustain the remainder of it, as a good deal of the rainy climate there is only made possible by leaf transpiration. So cutting the trees accelerates the problem beyond simply removing the tree.

Anyhow, I used to do campus tree plantings because my university had a really awesome urban forester on the staff who loved student involvement, and I was on "gardening committee" so naturally -- trees, lots of them. It's very fun. Somehow we always ended up scheduling on the nastiest most frozen mornings, but everyone enjoyed it. Pretty diverse mix -- you had your standard "yay Earth!" crowd, but mixed in with engineers, frat guys (wielding pickaxes while hungover, perhaps not the best idea), and sorority girls (always hilarious to watch them dig holes). I had some involvement with ~70 trees I think. Can't claim any credit for it as the forester dude handled all the trees and tools and checking underground pipe layouts. I just sent out the spam emails asking people to volunteer.

Most cities have at least one organization that does community tree planting events. You should look it up for your city. Seriously. They probably even give you free food. I haven't done this in a couple of years now :( although I'm still involved in campus veggie gardens.

Alternatively, if you don't have the time, the Arbor Day Foundation has cards you can buy for something like $5-$10. Birthday cards, greeting cards, holiday cards, etc. The money goes toward them planting a tree, and it says that on the card.

My dad's wife always puts up her Christmas tree and all of her decorations... all of which I have to help remove from the garage and put them back in.

Honestly, I think when I don't have the ability to participate in the creation of an idea for a tree, and instead it's all already planned out the same way every time by somebody else it just completely robs the experience... so I haven't really cared at all about Christmas decorations for years and years now.

I care more about the things I can spontaneously do for myself... like the snowmen I had the opportunity to make last Christmas day which was quite awesome that it snowed on the Eve of and was still there in the morning for me. I felt inspired to do that then... but I don't feel inspired when I'm either forced to decide on decorations or I have to basically create somebody else's vision.

I'm not really blaming her. I don't feel ill will toward her or anything for having her own vision and having the motivation to do it every year... it's just that there's no room for me in it, and I don't want to make room for myself if it can't be done from scratch. There's just too much stuff that goes up in very much the same way every year and I don't want to butt in on that.

Anybody else feel that way?

I had some involvement with ~70 trees I think. Can't claim any credit for it as the forester dude handled all the trees and tools and checking underground pipe layouts. I just sent out the spam emails asking people to volunteer.

Most cities have at least one organization that does community tree planting events. You should look it up for your city.

I saw this about a year ago. I just remembered it and even the title.

The Man Who Planted Trees

The tale of Elzeard Bouffier, a solitary shephard who devotes himself to reforesting a desolate portion of Provence, in southern France. Originally a book by Jean Giono, it was adapted into an animated short by Frederic Back in 1987.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BnmPUCKK0E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DF02_zC7bg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh8q8Febqyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcGV446u3KI
I think most people will like this, so if you have some time, check it out. I think the animation may have been award winning.

Virus you do know that these trees are bred specifically for this purpose, right?

Well good for you. Over here going to the woods and cutting random pine trees (even though it's illegal) is common place. Even the ones that you can buy legally, are not grown specifically for this purpose. Deforestation FTW.

My dad's wife always puts up her Christmas tree and all of her decorations... all of which I have to help remove from the garage and put them back in.

Honestly, I think when I don't have the ability to participate in the creation of an idea for a tree, and instead it's all already planned out the same way every time by somebody else it just completely robs the experience... so I haven't really cared at all about Christmas decorations for years and years now.

I care more about the things I can spontaneously do for myself... like the snowmen I had the opportunity to make last Christmas day which was quite awesome that it snowed on the Eve of and was still there in the morning for me. I felt inspired to do that then... but I don't feel inspired when I'm either forced to decide on decorations or I have to basically create somebody else's vision.

I'm not really blaming her. I don't feel ill will toward her or anything for having her own vision and having the motivation to do it every year... it's just that there's no room for me in it, and I don't want to make room for myself if it can't be done from scratch. There's just too much stuff that goes up in very much the same way every year and I don't want to butt in on that.

Blah blah blah.

This is why we need a real-life HL2.net Christmas.

Back