Steam asking for further machine details in relation to Dota 2 beta?

sixteenth

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Just wondering if this is legitimate. It is from "[email protected]", but the email has a strange format in my client.

Reply-To: <[email protected]>
X-Steam-Message-Type: Survey Request
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Tell us a more about yourself
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="------------060908020109090601040503"
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 15:31:07 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hello lsixteenthl

You recently indicated you want to play Dota2. Before we send the first batch of invites we need to collect a little more information from you about your level of gaming experience and your gaming rig.

To begin the survey go to the machine on which you intend to play Dota2, start Steam and click this link: steam://takesurvey/1/ (if you haven't restarted your Steam client for a few days, you might need to do that before clicking that link).

To install Steam go to http://www.steampowered.com/about

Thank you,

The Dota2 Team

==============
For information on Valve's privacy policy, visit http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.htm.
This email message was auto-generated. Please do not respond.

© Valve Corporation. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective
owners in the US and other countries.

I got it too but it doesn't have that stuff at the top, just banners and images. In any case the links are just to Steam so I don't see how it could be dangerous.

Edit: It's just a hardware survey.

It's fine, after it does the hardware survey it will ask you to complete a Dota 2 specific questionnaire (or quiz) so they can determine your skill level. Only once you've done both will you be considered.

If you get an error submitting your questionnaire, you probably aren't logged into the Dota 2 website (via Steam) - scroll down on this page and click 'log in via Steam' - http://www.dota2.com/tournaments/international/ . Then try and submit your questionnaire again.

Yeah it's fine. I got it too and had to update steam to take the survey. Now I'm just waiting to get in!

I did the questionnaire but it assumes I've actually played Dota before. I have in fact played one game but I don't even remember what hero I used. I just put "idk" for the questions about what level do you usually finish at.

They also released a boring but well-drawn comic.

Like Rimfire I have been honest about my complete lack of experience playing DOTA (or any other action-rpg for that matter). I wonder if they want to test the game on utter noobs like me as well.

Like Rimfire I have been honest about my complete lack of experience playing DOTA (or any other action-rpg for that matter). I wonder if they want to test the game on utter noobs like me as well.
I'm sure they are looking for an entire range of players. They can't just want all "experienced" player data when conducting the beta.

Btw, a lot of these survey questions are... well, odd. How am I supposed to average gold earned? Matches are entirely different, and difficulty usually/always leads to less gold.

Crap. It's asking all of these questions about the original DOTA. I've never played a game of the original, but I've got about 350 games logged into LoL. How should I answer this fekking survey?

edit: So.. guess I wait then. I sincerely doubt that it'll convert me to DotA/LoL type games - they're really not my thing.

Is everyone getting these?

I just got in! I'm pretty excited for it and I'm downloading now!
Who else here is in the beta? We should get some game going on.

I also have two invites to give away. If you're already on my steam friends list you get priority.

You should send me an invite. *waves hand*

I've played Demigod, but never DOTA. Are they pretty much the same?

Yeah I did this survey a while ago and had to make up a bunch of answers... I've only played League of Legends so I just kinda used my numbers from that game. Probably why I haven't been picked yet! :LOL:

nm my request for a key, seems I already have been picked!

How do you find out if you are picked? Is it through the same email?

Yes you will get an email. I also got a news screen pop up in steam telling me I got accepted.

rK7dR.jpg

:O

Back