Steam is down! (Now fixed)

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems Steam has gone down for a bit, a rarity indeed.

Users on the Steam powered forum are reporting this and neither me or Evo can get into Steam right now. Its possible people may be on Steam and it is just the log in server which is down. So it seems to be a widespread issues, don't be scared. No one has fiddled with your Steam account!

edit: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/announcement.php?f=17

maybe too many people buying too many games and playing too many games.

Psh... I just bought the weekend deal... 4 games to download... and Steam goes down.

workin' fine for me but I've been logged in for days

Added link to first post, problem is being worked on by Valve as we speak.

If you are logged into Steam, but friends isn't working...don't log out to fix it! You won't get back in till the issues are resolved :)

Oh good, I'm not the only one having problems.

Steam has just come back online from early reports I've just received.

Oh and I'm back in.

Its still down for me.. its now 1:40AM , im in Arizona. when i go to log in it says:

" your purchase is still being processed - Steam will notify you when the transaction has been completed. Until then, this game is not available to play. "

I havent purchased a game on steam since I got the .99 cent copy of half life on its birthday ...

hope this gets fixed soon.. strange its not working now.. i just got done reinstalling xp and running steam after installing it worked but its not working now :/

*edit: Tried it again right after posting.. works now :p *

Still not working for me. This is all I get when I start Steam:
Apr042009.gif

I can't connect to anything at steampowered.com either. Tried Firefox as well as IE.
Thought I had a virus or something. Sort of glad to see others are having the same problems.

Yeah, I had that last night. I panicked and ran 3 virus scans overnight including the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal scan.
Nothing came up.
At least It's not a virus.

Was there any reason why it went down, Or just a system failure?

Steam goes down a bit when they upload more back end stuff for Steam right?

Recent issues with this, Mike posted over at SPUF

At this point, we believe we've remedied the problems with our POP and are back up. Our POP has agreed to stop making changes to their network without our approval, so we hope that we will be stable from now on.

There are a couple of issues in the storefront which we'll be working to remedy.

We apologize for the downtime; particularly for the long duration. We will be meeting with the staff at our POP to review this incident and put safeguards in place to avoid the problem again.

If Steam is ever having trouble view this link first - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9547734

Is it just me or is steam not working again? I can't connect to friends and left 4 dead won't connect to a server (even using the server browser).

I'm all for steam but this is pretty annoying.

The L4D matchmaking is directly connected to the Friends network, so if Friends is down (which at this very moment, it is) L4D gets hit too.

Ironically, this downtime is due to Valve trying to make the friends network more robust so things like L4D don't get affected too much. Friends rarely stays down too long, so hang on in there!

I don't think this is part of an update because updates don't take so long to execute. In the update notification thread on the steam forums at http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784745&page=4 the last post is about these issues, my guess is something went wrong and they're trying to fix it right now.

It just sucks that I wanted to play but couldn't and now I have to go :(

edit: just as I posted this friends came back up.

Yep its back up already, and I checked...it was just maintenance.

It would be nice if Steam would warn us about upcoming maintenance. It could just pop up a warning saying that Steam will be going though maintenance. More people would then know that the fault is with Steam and not their PC's.

My Steam failed to connect all day? What happen now? Is it me or a common problem?

Oh nevermind the above post. Right after I clicked "submit" all the Steam stuffz came back on-line!

Having probs here to, first time in a long time I've seen steam go down

He is really

"Cannot contact the Steam network, please try later." I want to play a SP mod, but I can`t do it because of that fatty communist Gabe Newell. I hate him!

"Cannot contact the Steam network, please try later." I want to play a SP mod, but I can`t do it because of that fatty communist Gabe Newell. I hate him!

YOU TELL HIM, THAT FATTY COMMUNIST GABE NEWELL

Anyway, that's probably because they have been doing a lot of maintenance on the Steam servers today, and also there's a large number of people playing TF2.

Cannot contact the Steam network, please try later. Deleting your client registry blog seems to fix it. Still don`t like Steam and Gabe Newell!

What does Gabe Newell have to do with anything?
He just makes the games.

Back