Steam Summer Getaway Sale Begins - July 11th Through July 22nd

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
The annual Steam Summer Sale has officially begun! This year's sale, dubbed the "Steam Summer Getaway Sale", is set to run from July 11th until July 22nd and once again features impressive daily deals, community choice votes and timely flash sales.
Daily deals function as large price reductions on 9 select game titles for 24 hour cycles, changing every day at 6pm GMT. Flash sales feature similarly sized reductions to the daily deals, but with much shorter duration as the offers are only available for a mere 8 hours. The Community Choice feature once again allows the community to vote on one of three select titles in order to help determine which singular title will receive the set bonuses every 8 hours, as shown below.
Votes.PNG
This year's sale also introduces several new features and an emphasis on the recently released Steam Trading Cards. It appears that each day a daily deal offer will introduce Steam Trading Card support for a select title, with Bioshock Infinite featuring as today's game. The "Mystery" trading cards which have teased the community for the past week have been unveiled as "Summer Getaway Trading Cards", which can be collected and combined to receive the new "Summer Getaway Badge", providing the owner with unique summer themed rewards including postcard emoticons and more. Getaway cards can be received in a number of ways, including crafting game badges, spending over $10 in the Steam Store, and voting in the aforementioned Community Choice feature. Cards can also be collected using the old fashion methods, which include trading and purchasing from the Steam Marketplace. If you would like to find out more information about this year's exciting summer sale, head on over to the Summer Getaway FAQ, or check out the Steam Store page to get spending, voting and collecting.​
Cards.PNG
Have fun, just remember the golden rule - if you're looking to buy a game, wait until the last day to purchase as, while initial price reductions may be tempting, a title may be included in an even larger price drop during a daily deal sometime between now and the end of the sale on July 22nd. If you see the game you want pop up in a daily deal, a flash sale or a community choice vote, be sure to pick it up as that reduction is the lowest you'll see the price drop to!​

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 11,767
  • Mystery_Card4.PNG
    Mystery_Card4.PNG
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,056
  • GetawayCard.PNG
    GetawayCard.PNG
    128.4 KB · Views: 976
can't wait for all the whining about repeating sales
and how GMG and Amazon are totally having better deals
and how game X is not cheap enough
and how the trading cards are a stupid gimmick to trick people into buying games

Enthusiasm is repudiatory.

I know that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but this years summersale looks and feels very bad. I'm also aware of the fact that it's day one and the prices are most likely going to change to the better further on but at the time I'm writing this, the prices aren't very attractive.

I know that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but this years summersale looks and feels very bad. I'm also aware of the fact that it's day one and the prices are most likely going to change to the better further on but at the time I'm writing this, the prices aren't very attractive.

Companies giving me products for significant reductions isn't good enough, I want more!

What.

Companies giving me products for significant reductions isn't good enough, I want more!

What.

Please do me a favor and mention one price that has "significant reductions". Also the games I'm looking for does not have any price reductions at all.

This thread requires downvotes.

look, i use them sparingly. i understand where posting them excessively would turn this into an IMG board, and valvetime is anything but that. i do my best to use them in good taste.

Please do me a favor and mention one price that has "significant reductions". Also the games I'm looking for does not have any price reductions at all.

Read over that post again. You sound retarded.

Essentially: "My specific game didn't get a price reduction. This sale is terrible."

Read over that post again. You sound retarded.

Essentially: "My specific game didn't get a price reduction. This sale is terrible."

I would rather say that you should read my two posts more carefully next time. The thing that I was pointing out was the fact that the Steam summersale wasn't as good as I was expecting, there are a lot of different retailers that offers better prices. Although I DID mention that the situation could possibly change further ahead to the better which WOULD change my overall opinion.

The fact that the games I was going to buy didn't have any price reduction did not affect my overall opinion about the steam summersale, I only mentioned it briefly and I'm sorry if that made you think that it was the reason for my opinions about the sale.

And lastly if my grammar makes me sound like a retard, I'm sorry that my main language isn't English!

No your grammar is fine. It's just that the point you were trying to make seemed ridiculous. But you've elaborated on it so we're good.

I doubt I'll ever change my habit of going to "General Gaming" first for gaming related news.

I doubt I'll ever change my habit of going to "General Gaming" first for gaming related news.

I understand that, but when you have three different threads all on the same topic with virtually the same title, something has to give.

I understand that, but when you have three different threads all on the same topic with virtually the same title, something has to give.
I didn't see any other threads there, unless you deleted them.

Wow...bought Bastion some 3-4 hours ago for $7.49 only to find out now that it has changed to $2.49...

You showed me Valve/Steam...you sure showed me...fortunately I only spent about $25. Next time I buy will probably be on the 22nd or if something is ridiculously low priced.

Was this kind of whining that Edeslash was talking about? About repeating sales? Guess I'm the first one then...You're very welcome! :D

Live & Learn

What.

Yes, because companies have lowered the prices of their games we should now feel very lucky and obligated to buy games regardless of whether we think their price matches their value to us. Excuse me while I go buy every single game.

This thread is turning into a shit storm as expected. On the other hand, hopefully Skyrim will reduce in price.

It was on flash sale -40% (totaling $34.99). I think it will go lower than that though.

Was this kind of whining that Edeslash was talking about? About repeating sales? Guess I'm the first one then...You're very welcome! :D

Nah, the whining about repeating sales starts when a game appears in daily deals and flash deals and maybe even the community vote. It's just unbearable for the Steam community to have to see the same games up there on multiple occasions...

Though you were warned in the news post itself :p

Have fun, just remember the golden rule - if you're looking to buy a game, wait until the last day to purchase as, while initial price reductions may be tempting, a title may be included in an even larger price drop during a daily deal sometime between now and the end of the sale on July 22nd. If you see the game you want pop up in a daily deal, a flash sale or a community choice vote, be sure to pick it up as that reduction is the lowest you'll see the price drop to!

Where is your daily videos for the summer sale guys, WHERE IS IT! :)

Not happening this year, sorry.

I didn't see any other threads there, unless you deleted them.

It doesn't matter where they were, we had three in different forums all over the site.

Yes, because companies have lowered the prices of their games we should now feel very lucky and obligated to buy games regardless of whether we think their price matches their value to us. Excuse me while I go buy every single game.
I don't even need to respond to this, I'll just post his reply again, it sums it up pretty well.

I don't even need to respond to this, I'll just post his reply again, it sums it up pretty well.

Well, that totally changes nothing. What you said was silly and dumb and you said it before that post was even made. If you wanted to now address the fact that you thought there were some significant reductions and what they were, that probably would be pretty not dumb. But all you have done is make him out to be a whiny baby because he didn't think any of the deals currently there were enough to make him buy anything. And I don't even really know how to further express how silly that is. It's like... having a beef with a dude because he checked out an entire yard sale (not your own, mind you) and didn't want anything.

It's like... having a beef with a dude because he checked out an entire yard sale (not your own, mind you) and didn't want anything.

You obviously missed the point entirely. There is currently very little on sale that I care about, but that doesn't make the sale "very bad", as he described it, it means the sale isn't suited to his taste, which is an entirely different point all together.

im very surprised i didnt start this argument.

but ill add to it!

Gamers love Valve because Valve makes....Wayne Brady look like Malcom X.

In an attempt to steer this topic back on track I have a question for you lot.

I'm currently debating whether I should purchase bioshock infinite or not. The praise has been more or less universal, but I wanted to get some of your opinions on it first. Is it worth picking up at $30?

I'm currently debating whether I should purchase bioshock infinite or not. The praise has been more or less universal, but I wanted to get some of your opinions on it first. Is it worth picking up at $30?
Absolutely.

Yes. Dat price so low even Sheepo can't say it's a bad deal.

I'm quite proud of myself; 25 hours and no massive urge to purchase another game I'll never play.

If you intend to play it soon, yes. You should play it soon.

Totally! I've yet to play it myself but given the quality of the BioShock series I'd expect it to be nothing short of a masterpiece. Plus it's gotten near universal praise from critics, as you've pointed out. So yeah, go for it man. I should too... but I'm probably going to get it on PS3 first.

Also it has a pretty damn good score for a PC game on Amazon. And the Steam sale has a lower price. I would definitely pick it up.

You obviously missed the point entirely. There is currently very little on sale that I care about, but that doesn't make the sale "very bad", as he described it, it means the sale isn't suited to his taste, which is an entirely different point all together.
You do realize that I didn't miss the point so much as you failed to express it, right? That's not what you said at all.

Also, saying a sale is "very bad" infers such individual biases and considerations. He obviously knows he's not talking for everyone. IMO shouldn't be a necessary disclaimer on an internet forum.

Edit: And actually I would say that's a bad deal, but that's just because I would probably never pay more than $10 for any game these days, especially not a <10 hours super over hyped manshoot.

I wouldn't pay more than $10 for Bioshock Infinite either.

Back