Study: Violent games DO alter brain physiology

Damn yougins shouldn't be playing M rated games anyways..

A new study proves violent games can and do have negative physiological affects on the minds of young players.

http://www.livescience.com/healthday/536261.html

They have been saying it alters the thought process of kids for years. I've played violent games all my life, I'm fine...hell, most people here have. We are living proof of the fact that it's just retarded kids and kids not getting disciplined, or the parents not pointing out that video games are not REALITY.

Or they are buying their kids Doom 3 at the age of 12...

They have been saying it alters the thought process of kids for years. I've played violent games all my life, I'm fine...hell, most people here have. We are living proof of the fact that it's just retarded kids and kids not getting disciplined, or the parents not pointing out that video games are not REALITY.

Or they are buying their kids Doom 3 at the age of 12...

Or are we proof of the opposite?

You are missing the point, CyberPitz. I have played games from an early age aswell, and so far managed to avoid resorting to murder or overt violence

This doesn't implicate terms of being either a psycopathic killer or "just fine", the point is that the act of playing a violent game has a measurable, significant, and not all that positive effect on the way the brain operates on a physical level. You may say your "fine" because you havn't done anything that you think of as incredibly bad, but the fact of the matter is the brain your using to decide wether you have done anything bad as a result of playing games is itself a product of interaction with violent media.

I'm not saying we should stop saying games, just that we should approach the subject with more maturity than groaning and suggesting ignorance everytime someone claims the intake of violent media may have had some impact on the way the mind of a violent child operates.

Perhaps the fact the games that we grew up weren't so close to life has a bearing on the differences between us and the youngsters?

-Angry Lawyer

I guess I'll fail to understand how the brain will ever change through what we are viewing. I understand if we get divulged a little too much into the game itself, and start to day dream about being IN the game, and start to misunderstand reality. How could violence be rated on different levels? Violence is violence when it comes to thought process. I figure nowadays it wouldn't be as bad since when we were growing up it was something new, and we didn't know what do with it. These days it's common. So common place that people are used to it. I figured the jolt of something new thats violent would have more of an impact.

Proof that it's true? I don't know of many of us who go off and kill people or do stupid shit...

THAT I KNOW OF. lol

Just because we don't doesn;t mean we won't

Or that we don't want to.

Personally, there are a few people I'd like to get hold of. Not that it'd do anything, as I'm so weak.

Wait wait... so you guys don't go out killing innocent virgin women?

I don't think anybody has ever argued that violent media doesn't have effects on youth. The argument has instead been one of responsibility.

She was a sacrifice that the gods demanded.

I just killed 6 cops last week because they had the audacity to give me 3 stars! Then I was given 5 stars and so I had evade a few tanks and kill some swat officers.

I really think very litle kids shouldnt play very violent games,anyways games hav the ratings for that

A new study proves violent games can and do have negative physiological affects on the minds of young players.
However these studies don't give you an amount. How much less were the kids self control? Can the results be replicated? Does it wear off over time?

Yes we detected a .001% decrease in self control. OMFG!!! Ahhh all the kids will now have no self control and go shoot police!! nooo!!!

I'm not saying it is .001% but I want a damn number put on it.

btw, look at the controllers in the picture, are they playing an N64? If they are, sweet.

I'd type a response to this ignorance but I have my hands full cleaning my glock and filling the bottles with gas...

I've been playing violent video games since I was 6 - Don't start at that age.

Trust me.

I'm not seeing much conclusive evidence of negative effects in the article. It talks about emotional arousal and loss of inhibition, how does that not apply to any sort stimulating entertainment? You get that from music. I feel a lot more pumped up after listening punk/metal, no doubt more aggressive too. Isn't that actually the whole point of a violent game as opposed to a non-violent one, more emotional stimulation?

And what exactly did this test, test? It speaks of letting the kids play a violent or non-violent game for 30 minutes, and right after they were tested through MRI. Get me a test that tracks kids from birth to adulthood under proper parenting which shows a correlation between permanent behaviour changes and playing games. Thirty minutes of playtime mean dick. Hell, anyone here that didn't act out the tv-shows they watched as a kid? Isn't that a sign of emotional changes in the brain, and a decreased inhibition?

What this study has proven is that entertainment who's entire purpose is to thrill people, does in fact do so!

I don't think anyone disputed that a violent game, movie, comic or song could get emotional responses from you. I still see no reason that shows that violent games alone can turn an otherwise healthy person into a permanently unhealthy, bad/violent person. Did Little Billy change into The Chainsaw Slasher through playing violent games, or did Billy lose it because of being a social outcast or being mentally unstable?

So far, all those school shooters could as well have been avid stamp collectors instead of gamers, but they left little doubt that it was society that pissed them off. But you can't ban teasing, bad parents or mental defects, banning the latest scapegoat, or wanting to, is effective for rallying votes from soccer mums. Perhaps they used games/movies/music as inspiration, but how exactly are you going to prevent people getting inspiration? Thought police?

For me personally, I take great love in killing my enemies in the bloodiest ways. In games that is, because in real life, I haven't been desensitized to violence at all. I couldn't watch a movie with an actual person dying without becoming physically sick.

I'm not seeing much conclusive evidence of negative effects in the article. It talks about emotional arousal and loss of inhibition, how does that not apply to any sort stimulating entertainment? You get that from music. I feel a lot more pumped up after listening punk/metal, no doubt more aggressive too. Isn't that actually the whole point of a violent game as opposed to a non-violent one, more emotional stimulation?

And what exactly did this test, test? It speaks of letting the kids play a violent or non-violent game for 30 minutes, and right after they were tested through MRI. Get me a test that tracks kids from birth to adulthood under proper parenting which shows a correlation between permanent behaviour changes and playing games. Thirty minutes of playtime mean dick.

What this study has proven is that entertainment who's entire purpose is to thrill people, does in fact do so!

I don't think anyone disputed that a violent game, movie, comic or song could get emotional responses from you. I still see no reason that shows that violent games alone can turn an otherwise healthy person into a permanently unhealthy, bad/violent person. Did Little Billy change into The Chainsaw Slasher through playing violent games, or did Billy lose it because of being a social outcast or being mentally unstable?

So far, all those school shooters could as well have been avid stamp collectors instead of gamers, but they left little doubt that it was society that pissed them off. But you can't ban teasing, bad parents or mental defects, banning the latest scapegoat, or wanting to, is effective for rallying votes from soccer mums. Perhaps they used games/movies/music as inspiration, but how exactly are you going to prevent people getting inspiration? Thought police?

For me personally, I take great love in killing my enemies in the bloodiest ways. In games that is, because in real life, I haven't been desensitized to violence at all. I couldn't watch a movie with an actual person dying without becoming physically sick.

Yeah man, you said it. It's about time we started banning all forms of enjoyment.

I started playing Starcraft and Goldeneye when I was 8.

It may have made me somewhat violent and unstable when I was younger. Then again, that may have been because I had no friends, and was probably somewhat unstable to begin with.

Then again, my lack of friends contributed to my introverted "outsider" lifestyle, which has made me a far more rational and self-aware person than I would have been, had I been more social.

I really balanced out quite well. Hrm.

Just look at Rambler......
Was it the video games?
Society?
Or was he just born that way?

Pvt's correct here.
The same effects come from common sports as well, but you don't see many people blaming basketball for the next bi-annual shooting.

(Gosh, three deaths a year. Call the centre for disease control!)

Also: Dicarus?

Pvt's correct here.
The same effects come from common sports as well, but you don't see many people blaming basketball for the next bi-annual shooting.

(Gosh, three deaths a year. Call the centre for disease control!)

Also: Dicarus?

Sports aren't really that violent, but I wouldn't expect someone on a HL2 board to know that. ;)

We aren't talking about violence. We're talking about:
-Emotional arousal
-Lowered inhibitions

Both are a direct result of playing basketball.

The point is that games are no more violence-inducing than sports are (which, as you said, is not really violent at all).

-Emotional arousal
-Lowered inhibitions

The point is that games are no more violence-inducing than sports are (which, as you said, is not really violent at all).

Beating someone in a game of basketball is a little different than beating someone in Gears of War.

Yep. all sorts of things people do affect emotions. Making a serious mistake in a project you're doing is much more liable to incite violence. Heh.

I just killed 6 cops last week because they had the audacity to give me 3 stars! Then I was given 5 stars and so I had evade a few tanks and kill some swat officers.

Don't you hate it when they pick on you like that?

-Emotional arousal
-Lowered inhibitions

Not like the parents against Video Gaming care about that though.

They will do anything to go against Video Games

Including pulling a Jack Thompson 50 times over

Perhaps the fact the games that we grew up weren't so close to life has a bearing on the differences between us and the youngsters?
No, it doesn't.

I started with Doom, then went to System shock 2 and Half-life. In fact, I played only FPS games for around 3 years.
As of today, I haven't killed/ raped/ bitten anyone. :)

Okay, there was that one incident, but it was a loong time ago...and they fixed her skull pretty fast.

No ecological validity, bad sample and study.

This just in: Every stimulus that can be perceived alters the brain's functioning.
More at 11.

Im a huge gamer and i have never hit anyone or done anything violent or even participated in a chain of reactions causing a violent outcome. My entire life i have done nothing violent at all.

Yes you can call me a pussy now...

Thing that has always made me laugh is when the media pick on games like Battlefield 2, or Full Spectrum Warrior or whatever (basically any modern war game).

They fail to realise that if the government didnt start the war, there wouldnt be any games out there to base them on in the first place surely...

Back