Stupid unnecessary letters.

Dog--

The Freeman
Reaction score
C

Can be replaced by K or S or SH (for CH, just emphasize it more)

Z

Apparently X can make a Z sound, or a S.

If you don't want to get rid of Z, how about X?

Zylophone, anthraks.

A

Can be replaced by UH or EY.

I'm probably just retarded.

There are subtle differences in phonemes (units of sound) that require written language to be as complicated as it is. Replacing CH with an "emphasized" SH doesn't make sense, they are formed differently in the mouth. And why would you replace "A" with longer things like "uh"?

I'm not going to type up a whole introductory linguistics post, so suffice to say that if you really want to understand why language is how it is take a linguistics course or read about it on wikipedia.

lol, get rid of A? That's one of the basic 5 vowels of any language. How would you say "ahhh"?

"they are formed differently in the mouth."

Eh, no they're not. Ch is just a shh but building up a little pressure by blocking with your tongue and then releasing it.

And that's what she said.

Perhaps you'd like to convert to the Maori alphabet?

a e i o u p t k m n ng wh r h w

Accents across the world pronounce those letters differently, so your perspective on which ones should be "replaced" is worthless to a lot of other people. This is why onomatopoeia doesn't often replicate across different languages; a cat that purrs in English will ronroneur in French.

The units of language aren't signs to be applied freely to pre-existing objects (things signified); those signifieds are constructed in language itself, and by changing the language you will change them too. You can't just switch things around. That is not how language relates to reality.

I'm not going to type up a whole introductory linguistics post, so suffice to say that if you really want to understand why language is how it is take a linguistics course or read about it on wikipedia.
Would Saussure's Course in General Linguistics be alright? D:
I've got a big fat copy with a picture of a man with a moustache on the front (presumably Mr. Saussure himself) but I haven't read it yet.

Perhaps you'd like to convert to the Maori alphabet?

a e i o u p t k m n ng wh r h w

Can still spell whore, penii, tang, and most importantly my name, Tom.

Sounds good.

C is the only one I ever figured I wouldn't miss if it ****ed off back to Greece or wherever it came from. God damn letters, taking our jobs...

I'm pretty sure that it will start with a helicopter crash in Ravenholm. You will be accompanied by a distraught and emotionally bruised Alyx and a vortigaunt named Riley.

Dey tuk urr jewbs.

84794196_1ffc979d41.jpg

I'm pretty sure that it will start with a helicopter crash in Ravenholm. You will be accompanied by a distraught and emotionally bruised Alyx and a vortigaunt named Riley.

And then this post will be taken to the right thread? I'm emotionally scarred by your post. ;(

SH and CH is not the same ****ing sound, and I've got absolutely no idea how the hell you make A make an "uh" sound, is that some Canadian thing...what's that aboot?

The one letter we shold dispose of is .

You bnch of tter fcking cnts. nbelivable.

lol, get rid of A? That's one of the basic 5 vowels of any language. How would you say "ahhh"?

I don't know when it comes to you, but I never use the letter. It's very much possible for me to form every sentence I need without the vowel being involved, while still possessing perfect coherence. You know, it's so simple for me to do this, I wouldn't even consider it to be preeminent in our form of speech or writing. Useless! Completely, utterly useless! Wipe it from your memory, like I did mine!

I suggest you highlight my text with Firefox 'find' so you will see for yourself I didn't use the letter!

There's no way you could construct sentences like these without using the first letter of the english word system.

Sure thing, Rzir!

See, right there is the irony of my unwillingness to use the first letter!

From this point on, I think I will not use it, ever! Let's toss out some bets to determine how long I survive by counting the number of posts I successfully construct with this technique. Including of course my first post using it plus this one.

I will receive points for my inventiveness. Ingenuity counts!

But for now, I will stop editing my post to include more words, choosing to go to sleep!

OK, from now on i will write English in the romanian alphabet...

Ochei, from neau on ai uil ruait inglis in da romenian alfabet...

LOL

See, right there is the irony of my unwillingness to use the first letter!

From this point on, I think I will not use it, ever! Let's toss out some bets to determine how long I survive by counting the number of posts I successfully construct with this technique. Including of course my first post using it plus this one.

I will receive points for my inventiveness. Ingenuity counts!

But for now, I will stop editing my post to include more words, choosing to go to sleep!

Don't ever join the army.

Oh yeah, and retarded idea. And SH and CH are different sounds. And there are other languages on the planet that would miss the A-sound (This is kind of a moot point since english also would miss A a helluva lot, just saying).

Oh for god's sake. A friend and I have had similar debates before. Him arguing that ph should be replaced by f and that all silent letters should be removed. But saying that the letter a should be removed just takes the cake.

Oh for god's seyke. Uh friend uhnd I heyve huhd simileyr debeytes before. Him uhrguing that ph should be repleyced by f uhnd that all silent letters should be removed. But suhying theyt the letter a should be removed just teykes the ceyke.

I read the first sentence, then started the second one and my mind exploded. I thought something wrong was happening.

The entire English language needs a complete reformat. Too many rules, exceptions, and absurd usages.

The entire English language needs a complete reformat. Too many rules, exceptions, and absurd usages.

In its defence, it was raised by the Germans, raped and pillaged by the Vikings and then adopted by French who tried to convince it he was its real daddy. It's to be expected it'd grow up to be a very confused and angry language.

"they are formed differently in the mouth."

Eh, no they're not. Ch is just a shh but building up a little pressure by blocking with your tongue and then releasing it.

So what you're saying is that ch and shh are formed differently in the mouth?

Unfortunatly the language is also under constant assault from the general populace who thanks to the power of the internet are able to publish their terrible ignorance of grammar and punctuation to the masses.

So what you're saying is that ch and shh are formed differently in the mouth?

Err, not as differently as Ennui made it seem... You're mouth has the same form, it's just a little difference in breath/tongue action. Like, obviously they are a little different, otherwise they'd be the exact same. But because Ennui actually said it's formed differently, it makes it seem like it's an actual major difference.

Qqqqq! Q qqq qq qqqqqq q qq qqqq. Qqqq qqq qq q qqq.

qqq

Well I just realized I made a post with the letter 'A' in it... so I'm giving up my crusade.

Back