Tags ****ing rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to remove them because a small minority of utter twats spamming the tags across multiple threads.

I had to remove them because a small minority of utter twats spamming the tags across multiple threads.
Ah come on, all you had to do was say stop that. It was just a bit of fun.

Truly sorry, though. Didn't intend for this obviously.

The tags were the best thing to happen to this forum. I laughed my butt off.

I'm devastated.

Hm. At least the old buttons are back.

So are the tags coming back, or is it not worth the effort to police them? Annoying spam tags don't affect the overall effectiveness of the system, because people can just ignore them. Only abusive or spoiler tags need monitoring really.

Don't see the use. Forum search FTW.

They're already filled with so-called "humour" tags. Why not just have them auto-strip the thread name or something.

As long as there are one or two serious tags on the thread, the system should be much more effective than the search function, which has mostly been pretty awkward for me. The search function is good for finding a thread where you remember a specific post from it, but not it's title. Tags would be much better at finding similar threads. Auto-stripping the thread name would mean you might as well use the search function, and thread names are often irrelevant to their content anyway.

It's probably true that I'm an idiot, but I can type a section of a post verbatim, and the search feature gives me like 20 posts to have to search through manually. It's worthless bscly.

Like I could type "search feature worthless" into the search bar

and It couldn't find this post.. perhaps.

/tries it

Ok it found it. ;P

Still it showed a bunch of other posts though. Oh well. Usually though, I won't be able to put an exact phrase though.

wow

I figured the tags were too good to last. They were too funny :|

I'm almost crying here :( There's a lot of terrible threads on this forum regularly, but now at least with those you could read the tags and get a good laugh :( Sometimes that's all I would read!!

Oh how we'll mourn "i'm getting harder" and "pirates are free"

The idea was too much fun. But let me assure you - all of you - that the prohibition on tags will be lifted on the very day that we have mastered ourselves...the day we can prove we no longer need it. And that day of ascension, I have it on good authority, is close at hand.

Oh what a day, where are tags go away!

Let me read a post I recently received. 'Dear halflife2.net. were are mi tags wtf? Sincerely, a concerned member of halflife2.net.'

Thank you for writing, Concerned. Of course your question touches on one of the basic internet based impulses, with all its associated hopes and fears for the future of tags, and your lulz.

I also detect some unspoken questions. Do our moderators really know what's best for us? What gives them the right to make this kind of decision for us? Will they ever reactivate tags and let us have lulz again?

Allow me to address the anxieties underlying your concerns, rather than try to answer every possible question you might have left unvoiced.

First, let us consider the fact that for the first time ever, as an internet forum, excellence is in our reach.

This simple fact has far-reaching implications. It requires radical rethinking and revision of all of our posting behaviours.

It also requires planning and forethought that run in direct opposition to our neural pre-sets.

I find it helpful at times like these to remind myself that our true enemy is Instinct.

Instinct was our mother when we were mere Scanners and Manhacks.

Instinct coddled us and kept us safe in those hardscrabble years when we created out first threads, and recieved our first flamings, marvelling at those posters above us.

But inseparable from Instinct is its dark twin, Superstition.

Instinct is inextricably bound to unreasoning impulses, and today we clearly see its true nature. Instinct has just become aware of its irrelevance, and like a cornered beast, it will not go down without a bloody fight.

Instinct would inflict a fatal injury on our forum.

Instinct creates its own oppressors, and bids us rise up against them.

Instinct tells us that the unknown is a threat, rather than an opportunity.

Instinct slyly and covertly compels us away from change and progress.

Instinct, therefore, must be expunged.

It must be fought tooth and nail, beginning with the basest of internet based urges: The urge to blindly strive for lulz.

We should thank our moderators for giving us respite from this overpowering force.

They have deleted a tool and exorcised our demons in a single stroke.

They have given us the strength we never could have summoned to overcome this compulsion.

They have given us purpose. They have turned our eyes toward the stars.

Let me assure you that the tags will be reinstated on the day that we have mastered ourselves...the day we can prove we can handle them.

And that day of transformation, I have it on good authority, is close at hand.

Thank you.

You should do a letters section. Overly explain things so that the person who asked the question isn't even sure if you answered the question itself at all.

That could so easily be converted to something against our good "friend" Mr. Thompson.

Seriously, do it.

Shame tags are gone, but the new icons are awesome. Was starting to get the hang of tags, as well :p

"Add Quote" and "Quick Reply" are still pending -_-

I liked the tags. It's always the same I suppose, the minority ruin it for the majority. I'll bet there are people who put more effort into pointless or abusive tags than they did to their posts.

I thought the tags were hilarious, especially the pointless abusive ones used to bash me.

repiV hates darkies :LOL:

Bring back the tags!

You did, in fact, compare African people to horses. D:

You did, in fact, compare African people to horses. D:

Not quite. I said that hyper-religious Christian loony Africans are more like docile horses than vicious lions. Which is a good thing. :|

Nevertheless, the echoes and legacies of Victorian attitudes were substantially disturbing!

Nevertheless, the echoes and legacies of Victorian attitudes were substantially disturbing!

Hey, at least the women didn't expect a free ride and the kids were too busy cleaning chimnies and asking "please sir, can I have some more?" to hang around on street corners beating up pensioners and drinking cheap cider.

Aw i miss tags, I'd often enter a thread I wasn't particularly interested in just to see the tags, after reading them I would go back and read the thread.

Tags were good.

Aw i miss tags, I'd often enter a thread I wasn't particularly interested in just to see the tags, after reading them I would go back and read the thread.

Tags were good.

Exactly!

And like I said before, they made even terrible, terrible threads worth reading.

:frown:

tags taken away because of abuse? what? did anybody seriously believe the tags would be used for searching threads? ..we already have a fairly good search anyways, adding tags wouldnt have made that big of a difference ...if anything the tags (as they were, with abuse and all) did far more than they were intended to do: they were an indicator as to how people really felt about the subject matter ..even if it was offtopic or inappropriate

bring tags back

They never really got out of hand either. For instance, the thread in politics with the 'repliv hates darkies' etc, its all just tongue-in-cheek etc. It filtered people's spam too, abuse of tags is a load of polox, I'd rather have tags then social groups and the other stuff. BRING THEM BACK!

Aye - nuts to this. BRING THEM BACK!

We are very cross. CROSS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back