Team Fortress 2 MANN-conomy Update Details Revealed

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
[br]Team Fortress 2 takes another step into new territory with the upcoming MANN-conomy update which will provide TF2 items for purchase from the Mann Co. Store. Using the new Steam wallet, players can buy new items from the Mann Co. catalogue as well as trade and customise items.[br]All the new items (seen here) are the Polycount competition winners, who will see a % of the revenue made given back to the creator. Further community items are planned later. Wearing all 4 new items for one class also now provides a general bonus for the class! Note: Polycount items can still be crafted using specific crafting recipes.[br]You may have a million questions which is why Robin has provided a detailed FAQ for this update, please read it carefully before getting upset. Aside from all of that there will also be paintable items, name tags, mini-games, gifting items, supply crates, ultra-rare items & more hats. If that isn't enough there is also a new comic with Mann Co. here.[br]Oh and check out this interview with Robin Walker by PC Gamer for an early look at the Mann Co. Store & why they are taking this new direction.

If it means the game continues to be updated, I am all for it.

I just hope they avoid the urge to pull a "World of Warcraft Sparkly Horse Mount" by selling a cosmetic item at a ridiculously bloated price. I mean I know some people will basically buy anything and it must be hard to resist tapping that.. but at the same time.. Sparkly Horses suck.

People will whine a lot, but that is nothing new.

The biggest shock is the bonuses for wearing a set of the polycount items.

I for one welcome our new capitalist overlords. Although capitalist ... I like how the buying items part is balanced with the trading between friends. I say yay for this update.

This update is A-ok. Normally I don't like this micro transaction mumbo jumbo but it's nothing that you can't get just by playing.

Nicely played Valve.

will the new items only be available thru crafting/purchase or will they also randomly drop?

The weapons will drop the same as usual, there are apparently a couple of cosmetic items (eg. certain hats) unique to the store.

There are 65 new items in total, including Name Tags, that let you give a custom name to a weapon, and paint cans, that let you change the color of hats.

There are also item crates that behave a bit like chests in an RPG, you drop keys for them, and they can contain ultra rare items, only available via crates.

The minigame included in this update, allows you to duel an enemy player, your kills versus each other are compared at the end of a round, which grants an item reward.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/30/t...-for-real-money-massive-update-just-launched/

The minigame included in this update, allows you to duel an enemy player, your kills versus each other are compared at the end of a round, which grants an item reward.

I really like this idea. I wonder with what 'mini-games' they come up.

In-game now. Both my backpack and the store are currently unavaiable and the "4 kills as Pyro, give him a shot" thing is missing.

The latest message in the messages thing is still the announcement of the wiki.

Haha Doug Lombardi just released the press release for this update (after the blog I might add, tisk tisk Doug!) and even that has been infected with TF2 humour.
September 30, 2010 - Badlands, New Mexico. Mann Co., the industry leader in selling products and getting in fights, today announced the deployment of the Mann-Conomy initiative to the warring mercenary factions in the ongoing global war between Builders League United (BLU) and Reliable Excavation Demolition (RED). The Mann-Conomy initiative represents the largest introduction of new items in the company's history, available for immediate trading, use, and sale.

"This brutal, endless war between BLU and RED is, of course, lamentable," said C.P. Bidwell, assistant to Mann Co. CEO Saxton Hale. "So if letting mercenaries buy, trade and sell Mann Co. products helps make this ongoing tragedy more enjoyable for both sides, then we've done our part. The Mann-Conomy initiative is, at the end of the day, a humanitarian effort."

The first update in this ongoing initiative will involve 65 new items overall-including the introduction of five new Class Weapon Kits, 18 new hats, and an all-new way to get in an additional fight during an existing one: dueling pistols.

The Mann-Conomy initiative will allow BLU and RED mercenaries to finally trade items with each other, escalating hostilities further through emotionally wrenching haggling sessions over hats.

Mercenaries who purchase items through the Mann Co. Store will not have an advantage over their rivals. "We want to make sure that our customers still have a terrific experience on the battlefield whether they buy anything or not," says Bidwell. "All the existing ways they were able to get their hands on weaponry still exist without them having to spend any money."

"Steam", a revolutionary Mann Co. technology developed in cooperation with Newell & Sons (a small Bellevue, WA based company specializing in hat-themed war simulation), utilizes a global network of pneumatic tubes that will allow mercenaries to equip themselves instantly without leaving the heat of battle. Mann Co. is currently accepting Euros, United States Dollars, and British Pounds, as all of these currencies will fit in the tubes.

For more information about the Mann-Conomy, please visit http://www.teamfortress.com/

About Mann Co. Mann Co. is a global weapons manufacturer that makes square, unsafe products for men and gets in fights. Founded in Australia and based in America, Mann Co. CEO Saxton Hale prides himself on his hands-on customer relations: "If you have a problem with any Mann Co. product, you can take it up with me!"

So, non cosmetic items can still be obtained through the game? What about the hats from the polycount pack? They give you bonuses if you combine them with their respective weapons. Can we got those through drops/crafting or do we have to purchase them? The former, i hope.

So, non cosmetic items can still be obtained through the game? What about the hats from the polycount pack? They give you bonuses if you combine them with their respective weapons. Can we got those through drops/crafting or do we have to purchase them? The former, i hope.

quotechar

PC Gamer: Just to be absolutely clear: everything you can buy with real money is also available to find or craft for free?

Robin Walker: Almost everything. There are a really small number of cosmetic items that you can’t find. On the flip side, there are a few items that aren’t purchasable either. Our main goal was to make sure that all gameplay affecting items are findable, so that no-one can buy an in-game advantage over someone who’s choosing to find their items.

Valve do paid DLC? I guess everyone is okay with the idea when it's Valve.

Payment is optional, it's also free.

I really hope they don't take it any further than this.
Everyone's okay with this, stemot, because you can still get the gear for free just by playing.

That's almost NEVER the case with any other game that has microtransactions.

That said, I'm still completely opposed to the idea of microtransactions as a whole.

Valve do paid DLC? I guess everyone is okay with the idea when it's Valve.
More like microtransations but the point is there isn't exclusive paid-for weapons. All the weapons can still drop or be traded.

Did you guys even bother to read this?

PC Gamer: Just to be absolutely clear: everything you can buy with real money is also available to find or craft for free?

Robin Walker: Almost everything. There are a really small number of cosmetic items that you can’t find.
Yes, there are things (albeit cosmetic) that you CAN'T find. I don't find it to be a big deal but just pointing out that it does exist. Though this has existed for a while now with those Sam and Max promotions and others.

There have been unobtainable cosmetic items for almost a year, the preorder exclusive hats from L4D2, Sam & Max and Worms for instance.

When they first announced item trading, a problem I saw happening, was people selling rare items under the table, like with MMO's, you would get people selling hats for 60 bucks on ebay, and people would buy it. With an online store, valve bypass this problem, and make it significantly cheaper for those players who choose to use such systems.

New spy knife - $4.99.

Combined stuff just now, got for free.

o35v.jpg

Snipers not being able to headshot each other with that item set...

survey says: retarded. 2fort officially dead in the water
emot-downsrim.gif

The RPG elements of TF2 never really excited me--the system of random drops and gimmicky achievements just isn't compelling for someone as a.d.d. as myself.

As people have said, there are far, FAR worse ways microtransactions could have been added. In fact this might be the best way I've seen it implemented. So I'm okay with it.

The only problem I see is that some hats are $17.50. That's way to steep. $3-4 is enough.

Eh, everything seems overpriced to me... no way I'll ever buy anything.

The only problem I see is that some hats are $17.50. That's way to steep. $3-4 is enough.

$17.50 for a hat? That is way too expensive, especially when you can craft it...

Also are Cheater's Laments now available for everyone? I've seen at least 5 drop for people who previously idled.

I haven't looked at this stuff yet but I think the best part of this - no one has mentioned yet. The creators get a percentage. That would be awesome to have been selected and be getting residuals from Valve for having a popular item. The sad part would be to be someone who made something that people can make. Anyways I like new stuff and I'm not sure if I'd buy any but I'd at least check it out.

I am really in the market for buying items and stuff, but 17 euro 50 isn't a micro-transaction imho.

Yeah, all of the hats from the Polycount Pack are priced at $17.49. I guess it's because of the passive buff that's tied to it. As for Cheater's Lament. That appears to be a bug.

Those raised prices are incentives for people to play instead to gain items to craft or receive them from drops. The polycount items are certain to be the most desirable right now, they lose their value if you price them with no value.

I think they will go down after a while but for the time being it seems to be effective in stopping every tom, dick and harry buying them. Read the interview with Robin about costs through money / time to get into their heads.

I just bought every single item and hat with my parents' credit card. Haha you cant headshot me now.

Is it really an economy? Do items raise and lower in price when there are more in circulation or something?

..Nah, can't be.

Operation spy craft succeeded and is now over. I got the new spy knife yesterday but they won't let you craft any of the new crap now.

Back