The ending/Episode Three opening (spoilers obviously)

smurfy

Reaction score
You may have noticed that, throughout the entirety of the Half-Life series, there has never been a single moment where Valve has said "TWO MONTHS LATER" or something like that. Even in between games. Half-Life 1 ended with Gordon in stasis, Half-Life 2 ended with Gordon being knocked unconscious or in stasis (or something), Half-Life 2: Episode One ended with Gordon knocked unconscious.

Episode Two is the first Gordon Freeman game in the series that does not end with Gordon frozen or unconscious. This makes me wonder how Episode Three will open. Will it open immediately where Episode Two ended, with Alyx crying over Eli's body, or it may open later on.

What do you think will happen? I think Alyx crying would be a bad way to open a game, but I also don't think Valve would want to start it later on.

It is also debatable whether Gordon did indeed faint at the end of Episode Two. He may have had more severe injuries than were immediately apparent.

It may start with Gordon waking up the day after Eli's death, then he must ready to leave in the helicopter.

Or he'll wake up in the back of the helicopter and Alyx will just mumble 'nearly there gordon...'

Something to do with waking up, because Gordon hasnt slept well for nearly a week

One thing it can't is open sometime later on and play on the idea that we've missed something. Half-life takes place on a day-to-day basis; ever since the beginning of HL1 we've never left the eyes of Gordon Freeman – we have experienced everything he has.

So we either wake to what we closed with, or we wake a short time later due to blacking out.

Maybe when the screen goes black for the Episode 2 credits, Gordon is actually blacking out due to exaustion, then wakes up with Kleiner's face hovering above him...

Spooky...

You might not have realised this, but pressing keys doesn't do anything. You're basically paralyzed. That's equivalent to being in stasis or blacked out. You have no control over where the game finishes, or where it starts.

Pretty clever, if you ask me.

I think we will begin the game where we left off.

In this case, I think that since they are aiming for fun, they will either skip the tedium of the long helicopter ride there, or they'll encounter problem on the way up north. Waking up near the end of it makes sense, even if it breaks a tradition.

Nah. I would love to experience the helicopter ride and everything before that and after that.

I really wouldn't be suprised if he does black out, wakes up either on the helicopter/about to board it, but Alyx is not there. Maybe Barney will take the journey now with Freeman because I'm sure Alyx would not be in a state to get up and go, especially since it is quite urgent.

Anyway, I reckon Valve could leave Alyx behind just because it would be hard to have a very emotional character (i.e. Alyx after her dad died), so much margin for lameness

I really wouldn't be suprised if he does black out, wakes up either on the helicopter/about to board it, but Alyx is not there. Maybe Barney will take the journey now with Freeman because I'm sure Alyx would not be in a state to get up and go, especially since it is quite urgent.

Anyway, I reckon Valve could leave Alyx behind just because it would be hard to have a very emotional character (i.e. Alyx after her dad died), so much margin for lameness

Not in a million years would Valve leave Alyx out of Episode Three. After spending so much time and energy writing her character, it would make absolutely zero sense to suddenly not include her when her personality is about to get a lot darker and more interesting. Granted, it will have to be written correctly if the lameness factor is to be avoided, but I have full confidence that they will be able to pull it off.

And in response to the thread- we have never left Gordon's eyes, and doing so now would be pretty stupid and pointless. We will start Episode Three where we left off in Episode Two or very shortly after that having blacked out.

Ever thought we may not actually get to the arctic?

Come on guys, since when did anything ever go right in Half-Life?
We're going to end up crashing, or something similar, or totally change our plans about where we're going.

Ever thought we may not actually get to the arctic?

Come on guys, since when did anything ever go right in Half-Life?
We're going to end up crashing, or something similar, or totally change our plans about where we're going.

The big thing that points to this is that a helicopter ride from anywhere in europe that resmbles White Forest to anywhere in the Arctic is going to take a long time. (Technically I think it's impossible without refueling several times along the way.) And certainly experiencing the whole trip in real-time would make it impossible for any game reviewer to cite the game's short length as a drawback.

Maybe climate change has brought the arctic conveniently close.

yeah, thats what i thought, but you cant really tell until the games out.

We aren't necessarily going to the actual Arctic.

I'm pretty confident that we will heading to the peak you can see from White Forest.

It has snow, it is constantly shown as a destination getting closer in Episode Two.

And when the rocket launches the mountain is always in the background, quietly telling us that that won't be the last time we see it.

Two words: Magnusson Teleporter

(and conveniant blackouts)

Helicopter will get shot down. Then when you get swarmed a cyborg of DOG and Barney will come and save you.

We aren't necessarily going to the actual Arctic.

I'm pretty confident that we will heading to the peak you can see from White Forest.

It has snow, it is constantly shown as a destination getting closer in Episode Two.

And when the rocket launches the mountain is always in the background, quietly telling us that that won't be the last time we see it.

The ship and the bay are on a mountain?
<_<

It could be on a mountain bcuz when it teleported it could have gone anywhere. Just because you see snow doesn't mean it's in the water.

I'd say it would start with the burial of
Eli

The big thing that points to this is that a helicopter ride from anywhere in europe that resmbles White Forest to anywhere in the Arctic is going to take a long time. (Technically I think it's impossible without refueling several times along the way.) And certainly experiencing the whole trip in real-time would make it impossible for any game reviewer to cite the game's short length as a drawback.

The arctic circle isn't very far from quite a few eastern european cities. It's possible that their helicopter ride could be relatively quick.

A few hours is relatively quick.

I'm going to say that we're going to have a trip where Gordon is falling out of consciousness now and then.

Another way may be that Gordon has a "gman vision (TM)" and so the helicopter ride seems to take about a minute.

I think this thread has spun abit too far into the future, we have only just had Episode 2 slammed on our door step, now we want more immediatley...

I say we should talk about the Episode 3 trailer instead, then talk about the actual game once we have some clue as to the events.

Ep. 2 has already been out for several months now, and nothing has been released about Ep. 3 other than the hints in Ep. 2... I don't see anything wrong with speculation about Ep. 3.

Personally I hope we just continue from exactly where it left off in Ep.2. I think Gordon probably just closed his eyes in a kinda worn out frustrated feeling rather than being paralyzed, injured or in stasis. I want to see Magnusson and Kliener run in and freak out at the current scene. I really hope they don't just skip over everything and have us just wake up in a helicopter, that would be kinda lame. Maybe some vorts could show up and carry away the dead body, do some kinda ceremony or something (he was the resistance leader after all).

I reckon we'll just wake up the next day or something in the base.

That clip that we saw of Mossman in the arctic base suggested the Combine were already there. In which case, surely whatever we're looking for is already in the hands of the combine?

Warning SPOILERS

I'd say it would start with the burial of
Eli

I think the burial of Eli should be in episode 3. he deserves a proper send off. i think you will regain consciousness with Dr. Kliner working over you (with very sad expression one hi face) you will be in the hangar and if you look around you will be able to see Eli's body on a gurney just being wheeled away, a crowd of sad looking rebels (mostly medics)will be standing around talking about how sad it is or what a great man Eli was or "i can't believe he's gone", near by you will see Alyx still on the floor crying and saying things like "Dad" and "Don't take him away from me" (as they roll Eli away, she i not very rational at this point), medics will be gathered around her but afraid to get too close because Dog is standing ever her acting aggressive whenever some one tries to approach this also means that Alyx is not seriously hurt but it is doubtful she is unhurt. Dog has a few "wounds" him self: sparking wires, torn panels exe.
At this point Dr. Kliner will notice you have awakened. he will say something in a relieved but not happy tone (there will a sad undertone in the dialogged for a while after this) like "Gorden... good... you are alive". (if you look away from the action to your right you might see the crushed remains of you H.E.V suit, you will upgrade latter) Dr. Kliner has always spoken with a certain elegance he would be great for a quote on the nature of this event. The tragedy and grief, the loss of Eli as a great friend as well as a great help to the resistance, how this will only fuel the rebellion, and how fortunate they are to have you and Alyx survive. as he was speaking he helps you too your feet and when he mentions Alyx he looks her way with a sad expression. he will say something about what he fears the loss of her father will do to her and he will express his hope that she will recover hinting that you can do more for her than anyone else. he suggests you got to her.
I have always wished that the interaction between you and the NPCs. I does not have to be a complex system just pushing the E button while cross hairs are on the NPC at certain times in the game (you will be prompted but a HUD message) effect will vary based of timing and previous events in the game. this will alleviate the aching desire to interact with the NPCs whether it is comforting Alyx (will get to that soon) to high-fiving her after you fight off a group of enemies (or hug depending on how close the battle was) also patting a rebel on the back for doing a good job stuff like that. I would have no effect on the plot line and just deepen they players experience.
That being said: when you approach Alyx Dog backs away allowing you to approach. Alyx will look up and see you and call out to you. when you are near her the interaction prompt will pop up. press E and you will crouch (if you haven't already) and embrace her and she will cry for a bit and then you will be prompted again with "press E to stand her up" or something like that. during this time she will say some things like "Dad" "why" and then "Your ok" "Oh Gordon" touching emotional stuff. once you help her up you walk together back to th bunker. your journey will be postponed for a day for Eli's funeral and to recover heal and re equip.
This is as far as I dare go for fear of tampering with the characters or plot line. except that maybe you will kill time at the bunker by having the option to sleep (finally). and that The funeral should be do something put on by the vortigons.
I hope that you find that this suggestion/speculation/dream is agreeable to you. Hopefully some guy from Valve will read this a get some ideas. or maybe, dare I to hope, that this idea will become so popular amongst the HL2 fans that Valve will insert a variation into the actual game!

The resistance don't have time for a funeral. The combine have possibly captured Mossman, and you need to get up there and find out what's wrong.

You weren't crushed, and it is highly unlikely you'd be out for that long.

Your HEV suit is designed to protect you, and if it were crushed to a state of being unwearable, then the previous occupant must also have been in such a state. Which, of course, you're not.

And Valve wouldn't want to put the gamer in a situation where they are out cold for so long, and not be placed into stasis.

As to sleep, Valve would also object against that, as it just presents more problems, and it's far too like an RPG.

Plus, it's not Steam, it's Valve. Steam is an application.

And Valve don't take ideas.

And it's not an RPG, it's Half-Life. There won't be any moping.

The resistance don't have time for a funeral. The combine have possibly captured Mossman, and you need to get up there and find out what's wrong.

You weren't crushed, and it is highly unlikely you'd be out for that long.

Your HEV suit is designed to protect you, and if it were crushed to a state of being unwearable, then the previous occupant must also have been in such a state. Which, of course, you're not.

And Valve wouldn't want to put the gamer in a situation where they are out cold for so long, and not be placed into stasis.

As to sleep, Valve would also object against that, as it just presents more problems, and it's far too like an RPG.

Plus, it's not Steam, it's Valve. Steam is an application.

And Valve don't take ideas.

And it's not an RPG, it's Half-Life. There won't be any moping.

Technically you are right about the funeral. Time is of the essence so resting for a day is no good but I do think some kind of funeral/last right is needed even if it just placing him in a grave or something else that is quick but meaningful. After that it would be necessary to start off right away. This also negates you issue with the concept of in game sleeping.
The HEV suit was just a suggestion as an excuse to upgrade the suit extra flashlight battery or extra auxiliary power.
I have reason to believe that Gordon has been out cold for a while before. When the hunter wounded Alyx, Gordon blacked out for an unknown amount of time. He woke up to see a ant-lion investigating Alyx. We have no idea how long he was out I suspect about 15 to 30 min but it could be as little as five. this is more than long enough for the scene I described to you to be seen see upon wakening or one like it to have unfolded.
Thank you for correcting my Steam Valve mix up.
My suggestion for NPC interaction is not too extreme. You are right in the fact that HL2 is not an RPG. But its story line is deeper than many RPGs and so are the characters. You never say a word in the game, I think this helps the Player feel closer to the story by not adding any foreign dialog/thoughts that might be alien to the player's own emotions and thoughts. This lets the players emotion and thoughts fill the silence. But I have often felt the desire to interact with the characters ans some how convey my emotions and thoughts into the game. If not through talking then through physical interaction. What I am suggesting is a slightly modified version of what happened at the begging of Episode One. When Alyx embraced you after Dog pulled you from the rubble. I want things like this to happen more often with a variety of characters and give the play the ability to react and even instigate these interactions. For instance Alyx hugs you and you respond by hugging her back(could be automatic or instigated by you with the E button). The story and characters make up the true value of the game for me. The intent of this suggestion is to add another layer of submersion for the player and to increase the quality of the game.
It is sad that they do not take suggestions but some one at Valve might like the concept and incorporate a variation into the game. It is a very slim hope but whether they do something with it or not I am sure Valve will do great job with the game.
But I think the general scene I described is a pretty good possibility, and per you opinion it would be terrible for us to start the game in the helicopter on our way to the Borealis. And so we will start the game just a few minuets past the last point of Episode 2 so the chances of waking up in the hanger with lots of activity going on around you is very likely.
Thank you for you input it is appreciated.

Wall of Text FTW. Well, i do agree with you on the more interactivity bit. it gets so dull to only press E and they say some random crap.

Gordon hugging Alyx? Patting a fellow rebel's back?... I agree that some more interactivity with NPC's would be nice, but that would require seeing Gordon's arms... not really a good idea IMHO

You see his arms when he uses a weapon. but you don't see then when he pushes buttons. Instigating this interaction enhancement indeed might require a reworking of when we see Gordon's arms but then again it might not. people seem to have accepted that Gordon uses his guns with his hands but manipulates everyday objects telepathically. It might cause issues but the point of my proposal is to allow the player to interact with the other characters. before the player had no choice but to interact passively now the player would be able to interact actively with the characters the player. The player would be able to feel more like a part of the world and be able to respond in some way.
But I also agree with you. it would be bad to insert this ability only for it to feel awkward or inconsistent. But I also have faith in the skills of the Valve staff so that if they do insert something like what I have proposed they will do marvelous job and it will seamlessly fit into the game play.

Back