The explosion in my bedroom that jolted me awake

Ms. Red

Hunter
Reaction score
was actually the sound of a rock being thrown through my window & after I ran off screaming like the witch in L4D, the perp felt he needed a bigger hole to utilize in his attempt at breaking & entering my homestead. So, he picked up the biggest pine cone he could find in my yard & threw it with full force through my window. Within seconds of the 2nd "explosion" my son hit the defcon police button on my house alarm that sounded immediately.

Police responded, report written, Ms. Red is still shaking. The perp was scoping the house before his attempt at B & E because my son said he was banging on the door & ringing the bell. We don't answer the front door here for anyone we don't recognize. My son looked out & observed the perp going through our mail. About 10 minutes later the "explosion" in my room took place.

Question for y'all who have been through this kind of situation and more: How can I make my house show that I am in fact occupying it or appear that I am home? If this perp attempted this last week (when I was in work training classes) he would have been able to enter my bedroom & not be noticed until he exited my bedroom upon which his body warmth would set off my motion detector.

I need some ideas anyone has of alerting people that I have a house alarm with a motion detector that calls the local police. Nowadays slapping a sticker on your windows with your alarm company doesn't do the trick. I had that on my window. That sticker was smashed/sliced into bits with the perps attempt to get into my house.

That's not the kind of bedroom explosion I had first envisaged.

Yea I got 9 (trained to attack) dogs, no one ****s with my house.

So yes, dogs.

In fear of being serious for a second. You can get a switch delay thingy which turns lights on and off in your house at random times as if people are moving from room to room. It's a common thing people use make it seem they are home.

Leaving a radio / tv on another idea.

And as said above...a dog could be useful.

edit: This is the security timer I mean - http://www.screwfix.com/prods/82062...ies-_-Timers-_-PIR / Security Timer&source=aw

Ask around at a local DIY store if they have something like that? Also ask them if they have any other good security tips...

Get a chimp
picture.php

You can get sensors put in the windows to detect if they've been opened or smashed, thus setting off the alarm.

Simple, Red.
get a big dog or 2 and keep some lights on at night
Or the TV going

Yea, but in you go running in they'll get confused, so you gotta be chill and cool while they rip the other piece of shit apart. lol

12 gauge pump action shotgun

You don't even need shells. It's actually louder if you cock it while the chamber is empty.

Step 1: Stop writing in blue. People using the blue theme hate it.
Step 2: Get on the TV show It Takes a Thief. Then we can all be entertained by your episode and you can get a whole new security setup.

was actually the sound of a rock being thrown through my window & after I ran off screaming like the witch in L4D, the perp felt he needed a bigger hole to utilize in his attempt at breaking & entering my homestead. So, he picked up the biggest pine cone he could find in my yard & threw it with full force through my window. Within seconds of the 2nd "explosion" my son hit the defcon police button on my house alarm that sounded immediately.

Police responded, report written, Ms. Red is still shaking. The perp was scoping the house before his attempt at B & E because my son said he was banging on the door & ringing the bell. We don't answer the front door here for anyone we don't recognize. My son looked out & observed the perp going through our mail. About 10 minutes later the "explosion" in my room took place.

Question for y'all who have been through this kind of situation and more: How can I make my house show that I am in fact occupying it or appear that I am home? If this perp attempted this last week (when I was in work training classes) he would have been able to enter my bedroom & not be noticed until he exited my bedroom upon which his body warmth would set off my motion detector.

I need some ideas anyone has of alerting people that I have a house alarm with a motion detector that calls the local police. Nowadays slapping a sticker on your windows with your alarm company doesn't do the trick. I had that on my window. That sticker was smashed/sliced into bits with the perps attempt to get into my house.
muy bueno

Just get yourself locked up in prison and then burglars try to rob your home you can go, "Haha, you're already in the place where criminals go."

he would have been able to enter my bedroom & not be noticed until he exited my bedroom upon which his body warmth would set off my motion detector.

Body warmth motion detector, what?

Where do you even live?

I would start buying lots of weapons and displaying them around the house. fake grenades, real knives, swords, guns, flak jackets. make him fear you. set up an ambush then poor hot water on his face. then when he can't see pull his pants down and kick him in the nuts so hard he'll never get a stiffy again.

Someone tried to break into our house in Malaysia once.

Was a 3 storied house on a slope, pretty secluded road with not many houses on it, but a new house was being built and we had reason to believe it was a handful of the workers that tried to break in.

Anyway, they broke into the downstairs maid kitchen, which had its own door into the lower floor, windows as well for some reason which had bars over them, next to the door. So basically, the kitchen had windows seperating it from the bottom floor as well as windows on the outside wall.

They couldnt break out of the kitchen, and my parents ran downstairs armed with an umbrella and a golf club, only to see 2 guys scrambling back out the window and legging it.

Police came really quick, did a sweep of the house and my room, they were there for about an hour.

Slept through the whole thing *shrugs*

What amazes me, is how different South Africa is to Malaysia and the UK when it comes to the cops. In SA, if your alarm goes off, 30 seconds later you get a call from neighbourhood cops asking for your password, and if you dont give it they raid the place. They send 2 squad cars, armed with pistols and break down your door. In the UK you have to pay for that, and its free in SA...if youre white.

Actually I cant remember if it happened before or after I started..err..how do I put this...pissing off the workers after coming home from school.

I think I threw eggs at one of them once.

Couldve been the reason...haha.

I was about..8, maybe 9 at the time.

You can get sensors put in the windows to detect if they've been opened (I have this) or smashed (I like this), thus setting off the alarm.

12 gauge pump action shotgun You don't even need shells. It's actually louder if you cock it while the chamber is empty.
I actually have 3 shotguns. I have pictures of them in my profile album. They aren't pump though. And, that's one thing that pisses me off about this. I've heard sounds before & grab my shotgun to investigate. But I ran screaming like a little bitch yesterday. I think it's because I was so startled. I really thought there was an explosion in my room. I didn't even consider that someone was trying to get in till he threw the pine cone.

In fear of being serious for a second. You can get a switch delay thingy which turns lights on and off in your house at random times as if people are moving from room to room. It's a common thing people use make it seem they are home.
I actually have a light timer I forgot about. It's circa 1960's but it still works!

And, This was 2:25 in the afternoon. I was in bed because I had a bad migraine because the pharm screwed up & I had been without my migraine prophylaxis. I was all ready on edge & my pulse was racing from not having my medication and then this thing happened.

I feel my house is pretty safe when I'm not home because I have the motion detector. Yeah, they would still get in but once they get in the motion detector would set off the alarm. That happened in '06 when I was at a gaming convention 2500 miles away with my son. Some idiot climbed in my front bathroom window in the middle of the day. That window isn't on the alarm because it's small, high from the ground & very obvious from the street & we had only so many zones to work with. Anyway, once he exited the bathroom he set off the motion detector & the alarm scared him off. We never did notice anything missing.

What I'm wondering is how I can show that I'm home in the middle of the day since I don't want to answer the door. I guess if I hear someone I'll have to yell through the door to them now to show I'm here. But, if I'm alone & happen to be sleeping (when I get migraines) I'm not going to be able to hear anyone or necessarily feel like getting up & yelling through the door. I have a 4 lane busy road out front & ppl can't always hear me when I yell through the door too.

So, any ideas on how to show I'm home during the day? I park my car in the garage.

Why did I think I could actually post a real life experience that has F***ed with my head & expect I would get help from this community of friends.......

Thanks to the 8% that cared enough to post a real response that is helpful.

I'm sorry we don't measure up to your expectations of maturity. But what did you expect? : |

Honestly Ms. Red, i share a flat with a huge heavy mother of a door and only a few balconies to gain access. I also live in a city that is relatively safe from crime, in a section of town that is right down the road from the central police precinct and close as buggery to the main city hospital. I have honestly never had to think too hard about security as it has never been that much of a threat; that being the nature of where i live and the function of my few residences in aussieland. As your circumstances obviously differ a great deal to my own, i feel that any advice i could give you would be without any merit at all. This could lead to a situation which may endanger the life of your children and your own life. Personally, i don't want to be responsible any circumstances that may occur via providing defunct information and advice of null value.

I am genuinely sorry i couldn't be of much help.

edoot: ^Also, what he said.

Back