The history of the word "bigot" as well as the meaning of other insults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturos

Reaction score
Word History: Bigots may have more in common with God than one might think. Legend has it that Rollo, the first duke of Normandy, refused to kiss the foot of the French king Charles III, uttering the phrase bi got, his borrowing of the assumed Old English equivalent of our expression by God. Although this story is almost surely apocryphal, it is true that bigot was used by the French as a term of abuse for the Normans, but not in a religious sense. Later, however, the word, or very possibly a homonym, was used abusively in French for the Beguines, members of a Roman Catholic lay sisterhood. From the 15th century on Old French bigot meant "an excessively devoted or hypocritical person." Bigot is first recorded in English in 1598 with the sense "a superstitious hypocrite."

Very interesting word it is. Especially since according to this, it's mostly derived from intolerant behavior due part to those who were religious back in those days.

Intolerant.....intolerant......hmmmm. And nobody else here is? :LOL:

Well ok, I go ahead and post the meaning of moron too so we can understand it's meaning in an analytical manner:

Mor-on:

1. a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.
2. Psychology. a person of borderline intelligence in a former classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69.

Well ok, I'll admit I have been lacking good judgment by not be very sensitive to anyone's cause lately, but the rest of the definition does not suit me very well.

Stu-pid:

1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
3. tediously dull, esp. due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
4. annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
5. in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.
6. Slang. excellent; terrific.
?noun
7. Informal. a stupid person

Uh oh, I guess I've failed this one though. :eek: Guess you guys got me on this one here.

Although I do prefer the sixth meaning tbh. Excellent! So you guys do love me!

Ass-hole:

1. anus.
2. Slang.
a. a stupid, mean, or contemptible person.
b. the worst part of a place or thing.
?adjective
3. Slang. stupid, mean, or contemptible.
Well, I don't think I'm an anus nor the worst part of a thing, so that leaves 2a. Or the adjective form of definition 2a.

Com'on now, I'm not that bad. :( *Was I?*

Nice:

1. pleasing; agreeable; delightful: a nice visit.
2. amiably pleasant; kind: They are always nice to strangers.
3. characterized by, showing, or requiring great accuracy, precision, skill, tact, care, or delicacy: nice workmanship; a nice shot; a nice handling of a crisis.
4. showing or indicating very small differences; minutely accurate, as instruments: a job that requires nice measurements.
5. minute, fine, or subtle: a nice distinction.
6. having or showing delicate, accurate perception: a nice sense of color.
7. refined in manners, language, etc.: Nice people wouldn't do such things.
8. virtuous; respectable; decorous: a nice girl.
9. suitable or proper: That was not a nice remark.
10. carefully neat in dress, habits, etc.
11. (esp. of food) dainty or delicate.
12. having fastidious, finicky, or fussy tastes: They're much too nice in their dining habits to enjoy an outdoor barbecue.
13. Obsolete. coy, shy, or reluctant.
14. Obsolete. unimportant; trivial.
15. Obsolete. wanton.

Ooh, I like this one though! Just once I'd like for someone to call me this. It's hard for me to do around here, but please, I'm trying! :)

Bonus points will be given to people who knows and posts these words in:

French
Italian
Spanish
German

Is this a forum-wide apology?
/me cries and curls up into a ball. ;(;(;(;(

Where's my DIGNITY?!?!?! my MANNERS??!?!? This is not how I want to be remembered! Oh the horror!

/goes to fridge to get a refreshingly cool beverage.

/pops out of fridge and kisses the bigoted Saturos on the feet

What's the point of this thread precisely?
Well, post you favorite insult and it's history and/or meaning! Oh, and be sure to post the:

French-
Italian-
Spanish-
German-

translations.

Here's the history of shut the **** up.

It's right there. Look closer.

Since this thread doesn't seem to have much of a point, I'd like to ask:

Why does everyone hate Saturos? Or rather, why does Saturos act like everyone hates him? Did I miss something? Does it have to do with the dragon shirt thing? I do not understand.

Saturos is a pretty cool guy, etc.

Honestly? Saturos is a berk.

A huge, intolerent berk.

(We love him just the same! Except when he's a berk.)

Saturos is a racist, a bigot, an intolerant asshole and an untolerable prick. He's a scum sucking, cankerous apple-john and a blithering moron.

Grow unsightly warts you cockered codpiece-sniffing coxcomb!

Honestly? Saturos is a berk.

A huge, intolerent berk.

(We love him just the same! Except when he's a berk.)
I'm sorry. I'll be a gentleman from now on. :(

One last flame though:

Saturos is a racist, a bigot, an intolerant asshole and an untolerable prick. He's a scum sucking, cankerous apple-john and a blithering moron.

Pesmerga, your a boner biting bastard uncle f**cker. You a little punk and you probably still wet your bed/jammies every night. Piss off you annoying little dork.

There. No more intolerance from now on. Only quality informative posts hence forth. (Well, after this thread anyways)

They're just projecting their inability to handle their own deep vices on him to make themselves feel better.

I assume anyways. I don't know. Why am I in this thread?

Pesmerga is a racist, a bigot, an intolerant asshole and an untolerable prick. He's a scum sucking, cankerous apple-john and a blithering moron.

Your so hard on yourself aren't you Pessy.

You have many of those same qualities of differing degrees, but I still find ways to love you. You're my Pesh Buddy.

Didddd you think your song and danceee and your superstition would help you Saturos?!?

You have many of those same qualities of differing degrees, but I still find ways to love you. You're my Pesh Buddy.

How dare you say the same thing I said in a slightly different way, you bumbling "say things I say in slightly different ways" cow.

How dare you say the same thing I said in a slightly different way, you bumbling "say things I say in slightly different ways" cow.

Sorry... what was I thinking? I must be delusional.

HO HO HO!

BAM!

I just shot your face, foo, that's who, gangsta.

The best threads always get locked. Losts of posts that make no sense. Aission Mccomlished.

Had to say that before it gets locked.

This thread sucks. You should feel bad about yourself, Dragonshirt.

It won't get locked if we discuss the importance of words evolving!

Like "craptastic", a amalgamation of the words fantastic and crap. It be ironic.

/on topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back