The iPad???

Umm, dont get their point. They didn't mention any of the functionality, just that it doesn't look as good as it should. I don't care about looks, I care about functionality. That's why I think the iPad is crap and this has potential.

"The official verdict is meh." Yeah, ouch. Apparently the Slate's biggest strength is also its greatest weakness -- it's essentially a touchscreen netbook, and that means that while it can run everything including Flash, it can be slow and annoying."

People are talking like they'll be running photoshop, 3dmax, and launching ships into space with all the slate's computing power. Can you imagine trying to run CS5 on a netbook? Just opening photoshop cs4 on my computer now takes 12.5 seconds and I have a quad core 2.8ghz xeon and 6gb of DDR3 on windows 7 64bit. What does the slate have, a 1.6ghz atom and a gig of ram? awesome.

Are you trying to say the iPad was successful?

It sold more on day 1 than the original iPhone did, and passed 600k a week later. That was 3 weeks ago. Probably well over a million units sold by now.

What other new device has done that? The numbers are on par with other well established products.

edit: also the fact that it has single handedly revitalized the tablet market.

Umm, dont get their point. They didn't mention any of the functionality, just that it doesn't look as good as it should. I don't care about looks, I care about functionality. That's why I think the iPad is crap and this has potential.

How is a laptop crammed into a tablet functional at anything other than being a shoehorned product? Potential for what? Why not just use your laptop?

63, what will I be using the slate for? Anything I can use a computer for. You can't say the same thing about an iPad.

Read what Sterny has to say:

the ipad isnt marketed as a replacement for a pc just like a netbook isnt a replacement for a laptop. couldnt see myself doing any serious work on a tablet ..maybe mock ups or sketches. but not final work. the ipad is a platform to consume media: movies, books, music etc. really it's a conduit for itunes store just like the iphone/ipod is. at some point I'll get one; I'm rarely an early adopter of new tech. I'd rather someone else put it through it's paces before I buy

Again, the iPad is not a replacement for your laptop of desktop. It's for consuming media, and that's what people want, and that's what tablets are for.

the ipad isnt marketed as a replacement for a pc just like a netbook isnt a replacement for a laptop. couldnt see myself doing any serious work on a tablet ..maybe mock ups or sketches. but not final work. the ipad is a platform to consume media: movies, books, music etc. really it's a conduit for itunes store just like the iphone/ipod is. at some point I'll get one; I'm rarely an early adopter of new tech. I'd rather someone else put it through it's paces before I buy

I think a netbook is a great replacement for a laptop. I don't do serious work on the laptop, I need my PC for that. In fact my laptop just sits there unless I go on a trip or have a meeting/on-site repair. But work on my laptop is a pain in the ass on the go simply because of it's size.

This will be smaller, it will be able to do everything a regular laptop can, and it will have a touch screen with stylus support. I say it does everything a laptop can and more.

No, you might not be able to run CS4 efficiently on this (the vedict is still out, who knows, maybe you can). But I can gurantee you Photoshop 7.0 will run cherry on this, and when on the road 7.0 actually has most of what Im looking for. I agree with stern that because of the low resultion you might not be able to do final work on it, but when on the go you will be able to do sketches, concepts, and more. I mostly work as a webdesigner so I dont see myself designing full blown sites on this, but I do see my self sketching/painting in a way I was never able to do before (not even with my graphic tablet). And when Im onsite repairing networks or servers this will offer me all the tools I need right there on the spot.

I'm really stoked about this. I just hope business keeps going well so I can afford it. It comes out around the same time I will be getting a new phone.

I think a netbook is a great replacement for a laptop. I don't do serious work on the laptop, I need my PC for that. In fact my laptop just sits there unless I go on a trip or have a meeting/on-site repair. But work on my laptop is a pain in the ass on the go simply because of it's size.

This will be smaller, it will be able to do everything a regular laptop can, and it will have a touch screen with stylus support. I say it does everything a laptop can and more.

No, you might not be able to run CS4 efficiently on this (the vedict is still out, who knows, maybe you can). But I can gurantee you Photoshop 7.0 will run cherry on this, and when on the road 7.0 actually has most of what Im looking for. I agree with stern that because of the low resultion you might not be able to do final work on it, but when on the go you will be able to do sketches, concepts, and more. I mostly work as a webdesigner so I dont see myself designing full blown sites on this, but I do see my self sketching/painting in a way I was never able to do before (not even with my graphic tablet). And when Im onsite repairing networks or servers this will offer me all the tools I need right there on the spot.

I'm really stoked about this. I just hope business keeps going well so I can afford it. It comes out around the same time I will be getting a new phone.

I cant use my netbook for extended periods because: 1. it's too small ..even though it's the largest netbook on the market: 11.6" screen 2. performace is at best half that of a traditional laptop, again I have one of the speedier netbooks. 3. it runs photoshop and other apps poorly in comparison to a laptop or my desktop. forget trying to use it to do print projects as it'll unbearably slow

it's great for what it's supposed to be: a means of surfing the web. it sits on my breakfast bar and is almost always on; mostly for quickly looking up something on google or checking email. but that's it

I expect the ipad to be the same: not a replacement for a portable computer but rather as a media delivery system

Good, we're all agreed.

Back to the Slate: HP just bought Palm, which means Windows 7 out, webOS in.

Smart move both for their new tablet division + mobile phones/pda (iPaq resurgence?).

Good, we're all agreed.

Back to the Slate: HP just bought Palm, which means Windows 7 out, webOS in.

Smart move both for their new tablet division + mobile phones/pda (iPaq resurgence?).
Well good for HP.
"Palm's webOS appears to be superior to the Mac OS X used in the iPhone in the crucial area of multitasking capabilities. This is a key point of differentiation, combined with the product's multi-touch display," she wrote.

Are they referring to the non-existent multitasking the iPhone currently supports, or the speedy as hell multitasking that's coming in the summer?

Multitasking really isn't a huge deal for most people (on mobiles), but it's nice thing to have. More necessary on tablets.

I hope to god these things don't achieve any sort of ubiquity.

This man.

I still refuse to own a cellphone. GOD DAMN FAD.

Not currently, coming in the fall.

Don't be afraid of the future :)

I see it as a sort of iNewspaper, and consequentially as a vessle for apple to sell more digital shit, and gain even more control over media than they already have.

I mean, imagine if this whole concept of tablet media delivery catches on, with apple controlling the majority of the market like they've been doing for so long with the music player market.

Admittedly though, i'm just assuming it's a giant iPod touch.

I see it as a sort of iNewspaper, and consequentially as a vessle for apple to sell more digital shit, and gain even more control over media than they already have.

Admittedly though, i'm just assuming it's a giant iPod touch.

So what is the difference between the App Store and Steam?

And yes, it is a big iPod touch, I don't think anyone is denying that.

More like a giant waste of money

badum-tish.jpg

So what is the difference between the App Store and Steam?

And yes, it is a big iPod touch, I don't think anyone is denying that.

Steam isn't as culturally ubiquitous as the iPod.

Imagine if this whole concept of tablet media delivery catches on, with apple controlling the majority of the market like they've been doing for so long with the music player market.

A lot of people are already sucking apples dick and buying music, movies, and TV shows through the iTunes store and App store (Disclaimer: sinkoman does not have any sort of actual statistics to back this up). What happens when people start dumping more money into Steve Job's asshole by subscribing to news feeds and news programs through the iPad? I mean, obviously apple makes more money, but it just sounds like iMonopoly and a progression towards iWorld to me.

By all means, let me know if I sound like a conspiracy nut.

More like a giant waste of money

It costs less than the original iPhone...

Steam isn't as culturally ubiquitous as the iPod.

Imagine if this whole concept of tablet media delivery catches on, with apple controlling the majority of the market like they've been doing for so long with the music player market.

A lot of people are already sucking apples dick and buying music, movies, and TV shows through the iTunes store and App store (Disclaimer: sinkoman does not have any sort of actual statistics to back this up).

What PC gamer doesn't have Steam installed? Content needs a publisher, if it wasn't gonna be Apple, it was gonna be someone else.

What happens when people start dumping more money into Steve Job's asshole by subscribing to news feeds and news programs through the iPad?

Uhh... they get the content they deemed valuable enough to pay for?

Sounds to me like you got a good ol' case of "hate the big guy".

Especially when the big guy overprices everything and is still selling like hotcakes (not that I know how well the ipad is doing...or care).

Sounds to me like you got a good ol' case of "hate the big guy".

no, I just don't like the idea of an iWorld.

What PC gamer doesn't have Steam installed? Content needs a publisher, if it wasn't gonna be Apple, it was gonna be someone else.

I wouldn't know. I haven't really played anything other than Spore in the past year+.

**** Apple and everything they have a hand in.

Let's get excited about advertisements!

**** Apple and everything they have a hand in.

Further Disclaimer
This message is being brough to you by a mac laptop, to the tune of an iPod Touch

Especially when the big guy overprices everything and is still selling like hotcakes (not that I know how well the ipad is doing...or care).

You pay a premium for the first iteration, but the next one is always less expensive and of greater value.

And It's doing well.

I think it's great that they're trying to make advertisements enjoyable.

I think it's great that they're trying to make advertisements enjoyable.

Really? You think it's great for iPad apps to have advertisements? God damn.

This is the worst thing that could ever happen, in my opinion. Ads are poisoning our children.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN
An Apple spokeswoman said the company will sell and serve the ads and declined further comment, except to reiterate that app developers will receive 60% of the revenue. Apple gets the other 40%.

Apple on Wednesday said it has scheduled a developers' conference for June 7-11, where it is expected to unveil its next iPhone. It would be up to developers whether they want to include ads in their apps, although the financial incentive is there.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703648304575212411500983040.html

Really? You think it's great for iPad apps to have advertisements? God damn.

This is the worst thing that could ever happen, in my opinion. Ads are poisoning our children.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703648304575212411500983040.html

Most iPhone apps have ads, it really isn't a big deal. The developer has to get paid, right? Are you against feeding some basement coder's kids?

I'm not sure why you quoted that article... What's your point?

We're talking about commercials being evil? **** yes I like this thread.

Anytime I hear an advertisement, I plug my ears and go "LALALALALALAAA", then I scream, "I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALAALA", and then I realize I can lower the volume.

“The average American adult is exposed to over 600 advertising
messages in a single 24-hour period."

“The average American is exposed to about 3000 advertising messages a day"

So, somewhere around there. A ****ing lot.

But not me.

You know, I still remember some commercials from 25 years ago, when I was a child. It's brainwashing - plain and simple.

Think of the children.

You really don't have to avoid them or lalalala if you understand how they affect you. I just laugh as I watch people gradually get bogged down by the most blatant persuasion techniques until they can't think any other way. And then I cry. And yeah, it seriously ****s up children.

Your tinfoil hat.

Remove it.

There's an app for that.

Back