the Letterman Palin Incident

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
TLDR: Letterman makes a crack on his show about Palin and her daughter nailing A-rod at an event at yankee stadium.. except (letterman claims) the daughter isnt 19 yr old Bristol Palin ..it's Willow Palin, who's 14 years old ..hehe, oh man what a mistake to make. Conservatives/Nailin Palin lovers freak out. Letterman apologises for remark. palin responds with her usual studity

Letterman's comment, video included:

One awkward moment though during the game, maybe you heard about it, maybe you saw it on one of the highlight reels. One awkward moment for Sarah Palin at the Yankee game, during the seventh inning, her daughter was knocked-up by Alex Rodriguez

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-s...s-joke-about-daughter-getting-knocked-alex-ro

Palin's statement on the Letterman joke:

"Concerning Letterman's comments about my young daughter (and I doubt he'd ever dare make such comments about anyone else's daughter): 'Laughter incited by sexually-perverted comments made by a 62-year-old male celebrity aimed at a 14-year-old girl is not only disgusting, but it reminds us some Hollywood/NY entertainers have a long way to go in understanding what the rest of America understands -- that acceptance of inappropriate sexual comments about an underage girl, who could be anyone's daughter, contributes to the atrociously high rate of sexual exploitation of minors by older men who use and abuse others.'"

letterman's apology:

“All right, here – I’ve been thinking about this situation with Governor Palin and her family now for about a week – it was a week ago tonight, and maybe you know about it, maybe you don’t know about it. But there was a joke that I told, and I thought I was telling it about the older daughter being at Yankee Stadium. And it was kind of a coarse joke. There’s no getting around it, but I never thought it was anybody other than the older daughter, and before the show, I checked to make sure in fact that she is of legal age, 18. Yeah. But the joke really, in and of itself, can’t be defended.

"The next day, people are outraged. ...

Well, my responsibility – I take full blame for that. I told a bad joke. I told a joke that was beyond flawed, and my intent is completely meaningless compared to the perception. And since it was a joke I told, I feel that I need to do the right thing here and apologize for having told that joke. It’s not your fault that it was misunderstood, it’s my fault. That it was misunderstood.”

So I would like to apologize, especially to the two daughters involved, Bristol and Willow, and also to the Governor and her family and everybody else who was outraged by the joke.

Palin responds to apology:

“Letterman certainly has the right to ‘joke’ about whatever he wants to, and thankfully we have the right to express our reaction,” Palin said. “This is all thanks to our U.S. Military women and men putting their lives on the line for us to secure America’s Right to Free Speech - in this case, may that right be used to promote equality and respect.”

she's such a tool

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2009/06/letterman-palin-apology.html

really this is stupid. Dave made a mistake and people freak out over comments on a tv show. they're public figures, it comes with the territory

The inability of people to let this go is astounding. Dave made a genuine apology and most of them can't accept that. Some do, to their credit, but most don't.

The thing that pisses me off the most, is the constant bullshit that people keep saying he meant it for Willow Palin... when he said repeatedly that it was about Bristol.

Bristol is the one who got pregnant. She's the one who threw herself into the whole teen pregnancy arena. It wasn't Willow. Just because Willow happened to be at the game, that doesn't excuse you for continuing to insinuate that he still meant Willow even though he himself said he was talking about Bristol. Any non dumbass would be able to say, "Okay... fair enough, I can believe that."

But they don't do it.

I mean, if you made some stupid vocal goofup, and you keep insisting you meant something different than what you said, I will completely believe you. It makes no sense to continually deny that sort of thing.

And to insinuate that Letterman is a pedophile as a result? A dirty old man? ****ing outrageous.

Far worse jokes have been made at palin and her daughter's expense. Nobody gives a shit about this except for a few loud people, and people like you guys give them an audience.

Far worse jokes have been made at palin and her daughter's expense. Nobody gives a shit about this except for a few loud people, and people like you guys give them an audience.

I wouldn't what call what I'm doing giving them an audience. I'm simply watching it from the sidelines. Yes, I have my opinions. It's hard not to.

''that acceptance of inappropriate sexual comments about an underage girl, who could be anyone's daughter, contributes to the atrociously high rate of sexual exploitation of minors by older men who use and abuse others.'"

wat

Paedophile jokes are cause for investigation of paedophilia, durr.

the palins are ripe for comedy, nuff said.

I loved the Palins' hysterical accusations of pedophilia and sexual predators and all that crap when it was clearly aimed the entirely-legal Bristol Palin.

It's so conscious and transparent that you have to wonder who's lapping it up.

Oh please Stern, don't act like liberals and democrats don't ever complain and take something out of context, you people usually do it more than conservatives...

oh ok I'm sorry Palin and brood are upstanding individuals. they're certainly beyond reproach or criticism. I would never think of criticizing her knowing that somewhere out there, there's a democrat taking something a republican says out of context. I mean we cant have that. Lets all think happy thoughts

Meh, nothing too surprising there. As much as I dislike Palin herself, I think Palin supporters are actually scarier. One day I stumbled upon the Palin Facebook fan page... the people leaving comments there totally freak me out.

^This.

Same goes for Hillary Clinton supporters, IMO. I don't really have much against Hillary, but her supporters need to STFU.

What's weird is that I thought ever since Palin proved herself to be a detrimental joke to the '08 election, insulting her was the popular thing to do.

except what does that have to do with anything? should we ignore this incident just because liberals and democrats also screw up from time to time? what do they have to do with Palin/Letterman, please explain. really, it's stupid to even suggest this

I like how she brings up the US military completely out of left field. I don't think I've ever seen such a transparent attempt to throw down the "support the troops" card to try and validate your argument. I can imagine how decisions are made in the Palin household:

Todd: "So do you think I should go with the LCD or plasma screen TV?"
Sarah: "I'd like to thank the US troops for securing my right to say you should get a plasma screen TV."
Todd: "Well, I was leaning towards the LCD screen..."
Sarah: "9/11, NEVER FORGET!!!!!!!!!"

Back