The New Art Contest #1: Voting Thread

Pick your favourite entry.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are we allowed to use valve's characters? By this I mean, create my own environment, but use a combine soldier that valve made in it?

Im still trying to come up with a good idea, so this may limit some ideas.

Erm lol, it's just art. You're not selling it or anything. If nobody was allowed to draw anything Valve has created I don't think this contest would exist :p

Here's a preview of what I'm doing... All MS-Paint. 3x view shown.

c17preview4gh5.png

I'm doing the entire first outside area... I have all the linework done and everything for all the buildings. Now I'm just coloring stuff. I have all the sidewalks and roads done as seen in the pic. This is so you know what kind of quality to expect.

I'm excited.

: O ... very cool !

-dodo

Erm lol, it's just art. You're not selling it or anything. If nobody was allowed to draw anything Valve has created I don't think this contest would exist :p

Oh, no. What I meant was to take the actual game model and put it in a 3D environment I make myself.

Yeah... I was thinking about that too.

It's not really a big deal who wins though, to me. This is going to be the most epic pixel art I've ever done and that's all that matters.

I think some good judges who provide full reasoning to support their decisions would be best. I'm putting a ****-ton of hours into this project. I'm already up to about 12. Most non-artists can't appreciate intense dedication.
Curse your dedication and curse my laziness. I've put less than 2 hours into it and I keep putting off doing more.

After seeing Veggie's and Dodo's WIPs I know they're no hope of me winning...well, OK, I knew that already, but I have confirmation now. Oh well, I'll try to get off my ass and finish mine anyway.

Another preview 'cuz I feel like it. Still MS Paint.

c17preview5ft3.png

Woah, forgot to smooth out the lower part of those angled windows. *fixes*

haha ! that looks soo nice Vegeta ...

A question btw. Is it possible uploading a 800 kb (1050 px x 1680 px) picture to hl2.net soo people can use it as a background if they want to ? :cat:

-dodo

A question btw. Is it possible uploading a 800 kb (1050 px x 1680 px) picture to hl2.net soo people can use it as a background if they want to ? :cat:

-dodo

You can upload it to some image hosting service (like photobucket.com or imageshack.us) and then link it. I think.

Jeebus mother-****ing Chist on a Tricycle, Dodo's entry is scary.

You were talking about possibly having judges instead of a poll. Why not have both? There could be a judges' winner and a users' winner.

Or maybe we could have judges decide who gets entered into the "finals" and the poll decides who wins. That way we can avoid seeing people get zero votes and having people get depressed (mostly talking about me here :))

Really nice entries so far. :eek:

Dodo's work sort of looks like what I envisioned when I first saw this contest. Only bringing that mental image to life is very, very hard..;( Special mention to Vegeta too, that's insanely awesome. :LOL:

Holy crap, there is some real competition here. I didnt realize how many talented artists there were around these parts.

Yeah, I didn't realize it either. This is going to be a close competition.

That's pretty good UseAbuse!

Maybe I should post some "art" photograph of urban European townscape...

UseAbuse, is that a picture of Bucharest by any chance?

It's looking that way. I'll wait until I see every participant to truly judge, but it's looking like Dodo's gonna take the competition.

Right, it doesn't look like I'm going to to get this done (school and away all weekend) so I'll just post this WIP. It's all pen and pencil work.

Attachments

• c17.jpg
    c17.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 252
HELLO, I AM BACK!!! with an image.

"composited" made by me:
Models - Valve
Editing and Probe and Pic - Me
Trees, grass and most of the image stuff - god
What do you think?

1341891169_0f01a9b36e_b.jpg

Firstly, it wasnt all done by you... only composited by you :thumbs:
Secondly, the combine on the right has no contact shadows, and it kinda makes him look like hes floating.
Thirdly, the ship is too blurry considering how crisp everything else that was moving is.
Lastly, the antlion and the combine in the field have a thick outline that makes them look out of place, and the lighting on them is wrong.

Other than that, its pretty good :)

great, thanks for your comments. The shadow for that combine ill work on it. and the ship, im not sure if it should be there. it is blurry due to the movement, maybe ill make it less blur? and the antlion, dammit, I tried so hard to make it look perfect, it seems impossible cos I cant get the goddam textures to go into correctly to the model.

thx anyway. btw, I like xirows entry

Also, I think the gunship should be behind the trees, because right now it looks tiny.

As for my entry, I'm still working hard. I've been staying up til 6 or 7 in the morning, working all night, for the past 5 or 6 nights.
I'm going to be working right up until the due date.

I like it, and Dodo's one. Those are my two favorites entered so far.

Back