The talent, where and who.

BabyHeadCrab

The Freeman
Reaction score
ITT I'd like to discuss game developers, who they work for (or who works for them), what made them famous. I'll begin with developers that have made a huge difference in my life, and should any of you wish for me to add the OP, I will gladly to so. I plan to regularly update this thread throughout the next few months.

Post any corrections/comments and additions and I'll continue to update the OP. I hope to eventually have this place as a reference for myself and others to keep up with our favorite devs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will Wright

Famous For: Sim City, Sim City 2000, The Sims, also credited as the founder of modern 'sim' games.

Current Employer: Maxis/EA

In the works: Spore

spore.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shigeru Miyamoto

Famous For: Super Mario Brothers, The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, and many other innovative and generally ground breaking titles.

Current Employer: General Manager, Nintendo Entertainment (Analysis and Development) [Source]

In the works: Super Mario Galaxy

Supermariogalaxydemo1.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hideo Kojima

Famous For: Metal Gear Series, and production of Zone of the Enders

Current Employer: Kojima Productions (head)

In the works:: Project S, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, and Metal Gear Online

mgs4oov3.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Taylor

Famous For: Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, Dungeon Seige

Current Employer: Gas Powered Games (co-founder)

In the Works: Space Seige (next gen space RPG)

941862_20070711_embed006.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gabe Newell

Famous For: Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Source engine, and also content delivery Steam.

Current Employer: Valve Corporation (co-founder, director)

In the works: The Orange Box

* Half-Life 2: Episode Two
* Portal
* Team Fortress 2

half-life-2-gordon-alyx.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tim Schafer

Famous For: Psychonauts, Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango

Current Employer: Double Fine Productions (founder, game designer)

In the works: Mysterious New Project (Unnamed, but he has hinted at it)

psychonauts-20050505071408957-000.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John D. Carmack

Famous For: Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake. John is the father of FPS as we know it, known across the industry for his coding genius and engine technologies. Oh yeah and he drives a Ferrari. On top of all this he also heads up an Aerospace development team. John is an advocate of open source technology and has released several of his previous game engines to the public.

Current Employer: Id Software (co-founder), Armadillo Aerospace (founder)

In the Works: Id Tech 5 (game engine), Rage, as well as yet to be named console project(s)

id_tech_5-267972.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Randy Pitchford

Famous For: Half-Life expansion packs (and ports) notably Opposing Force, Brothers in Arms titles, some of the 3D Realms titles.

Current Employer: Gearbox Software (one of the founders, now president)

In the works: Untitled Aliens Game, Borderlands, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway

opposingforcepk3.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Ancel

Famous For: Rayman 2: the Great Escape, Beyond Good and Evil, King Kong (movie game)

Current Employer: Ubisoft, though rumor has it he has departed to look elsewhere.

In the Works: unkown

ancel.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter Molyneux

Famous For: Populous, Black&White, Fable, The Movies and more.

Current Employer: Lionhead Studios (acquired by Microsoft Game Studios, but still develop games independently, much like Bungie and Gas Powered Games)

In the Works:: Fable 2, as well as a yet to be named project.

fable2.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ken Levine

Famous For: Thief: The Dark Project, System Shock 2, Freedom Force, and many more. Most recently is of course; Bioshock

Current Employer: 2K Games

In the Works Ken has expressed interest in continuing work in the setting of Rapture, the underwater Dystopia featured in Bioshock, but hasn't made any official announcements at this time.

pc_bioshock.jpg

NOTICE:

MUCH more to come, thread is a WIP - just have to go to bed for the night! By the end I hope to have 30+ developers and current projects listed.

I'll get to him :E, just gotta go to sleep for now.

along with Kevin Levine, Warren Spector, John Carmack, Mark Rein, Bill Roeper, John Romero, Hironobu Sakaguchi, and many others.

TIM SCHAFER

Famous For: Psychonauts, Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango

Current Employer: Double Fine Productions (founder, game designer)

In the works: Mysterious New Project (Unnamed, but he has hinted at it)

psychonauts-20050505071408957-000.jpg

/EDIT I'll add links inna little bit.

This thread is awesome always wanted to make this!

Here are a few.

John Carmack
Tim Sweeney

Come on guys, contribute in the same format! Makes it so much easier. D:

C'mon guys, how come noone has thought of this guy yet? (I'll put links up later)

Chris Taylor

Famous For: Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, Dungeon Seige

Current Employer: Gas Powered Games (co-founder?)

In the Works: Space Seige (next gen space RPG)

941862_20070711_embed006.jpg

We could concievably turn this into a website...

thanks for the additions / comments guys, I'll be updating the OP when I return from classes tonight.

We could concievably turn this into a website...

intriguing proposition, though I've never done anything of that sort before.

Mark Rein is an idiot.

Michael Ancel (Beyong good and evil; King Kong)

Ah yeah, Michael Ancel is the man. I actually liked the game of King Kong alot more than the film.

The film sucked.

The game was excellent and very underrated. The end level, of course, was utter shit, but there we are.

thread updated with a few more big names, still many more to go, though. (feel bad clanking away at KB after roomate goes to sleep =/ )

Come on man. WARREN SPECTOR? DEUS EX? HELLO?

How could he not be first on your list?

Don't forget Romero, talent or not.

meh @ randy pitchford, he pisses me off with all the shite he talks abou BIA.

Hey, we are forgetting Cliffy B! I dont have time to make an info page right now, but I might get the chance later.

Jeff Minter (yak)

Famous For: 'His fondness of llamas, sheep, camels ..' and being a bedroom coder veteran - from 8-bit through to the present day. He now writes a regular column in Edge magasine, just released Space Giraffe for the 360, and is famous for titles such as Gridrunner, Llamatron and Tempest 2000, as well as Neon, the light synthesiser used with the 360's media player.

Current Employer: Founder of software house Llamasoft.

In the works: Probably something trippy that involves shooting things and camels. Or llama. Possibly sheep or cows. It'll definitely be trippy.

Jeff_minter_at_asm04.JPG

Space Giraffe is weeeeird. Tried the demo and couldn't figure out what the tits was going on.

I loved the game where you were an Anti-Gravity Camel and could walk on the floor or ceiling shooting lasers at evil washing machines.
The first PC Gamer I ever bought had a collection of his works on the cover-disc and I had to wonder what strange world of PC gaming I had bought myself into.

Back