The Walking Dead Season 2

hool10

Tank
Reaction score
Well there was the teaser during the premier of Breaking Bad Season 2:
[video=youtube_share;gT5bH86y-c8]http://youtu.be/gT5bH86y-c8[/video]

Protip: his fingers sink into the rock. :O

However now a real trailer has now come out and tbh, the show is struggling and it's hit or miss time:

Are the comics way better than the show? Yes.
Could the show be significantly improved / better? Yes.
Do I love it anyway? Yes.

Looks like they're going to the farm.

There may yet be hope for this show.

Yeah, I read that season 2 is centered around the farm.

That trailer looks good, I'll definitely watch the next season.

damn you show and your alluring trailer, last season was such a let down

Now that they characters are all well established let's hope we can get down to some good old zombie survival.

the teaser of rick bashing in the zombies head is so laughably bad. i love that forced look of anguish on his face that he is only now getting after killing some 20/30 zombies beforehand!

trailer looked a bit meh, don't really care for it. will watch the show anyway, not expecting great things though, but i'll stay as open minded as i can throughout.

I'm pretty much with Ennui, yes the show could be better but I really enjoy it. Trailer was great, too.

I'm with you knut, the teaser was horrible. Right from the beginning, with his thousandyardstare-to-profile flourish, I knew there was no saving it. The full trailer at least had structure and some decent acting, but the short-term setup and context for many of the on-screen events seems extremely shallow (for example, why does one zombie lead into thirty all at once, without warning, on a weeks-abandoned stretch of highway outside the city, and why does this simultaneously surprise two people who have wildly different vantage points?), which really doesn't bode well for the quality of writing.

For the record, I don't come into these threads just to troll people who like this show. I want it to be good. It looks like it will stick around for long enough to potentially become worthwhile, so I figure I might as well watch it all from the start, since I'm too type-A to skip 1-2 seasons of a show.

Having not read the comics I enjoyed the first season though I didn't take it very seriously. I can't take zombies seriously really in general. It's all just a bit ridiculous. I was able to take 28 Days Later seriously but that has since been ruined by the main bad guy being Doctor Who.

can't wait for season 2! as short as season 1 was, I'm hoping Season 2 is at least twice as long

Second video has been removed. :(

Looking forward to the second season. There was some stupid stuff in the first, but I still enjoyed it. When does this start by the way?

Updated the video Ren. I don't know about The Walking Dead. I mainly liked the first 2 episodes and then the one with the redneck who sawed off his hand to run away. After that though there was too much boring drama and not enough zombie action.

That's because the show isn't supposed to be about the damn zombies. :frown:

That's because the show isn't supposed to be about the damn zombies. :frown:

That's like saying Lost isn't about the Island. Ohhh... everything that happens on the Island is irrelevant because well... it's just a character driven show.

Or that Breaking Bad isn't about Meth, and meth is only a catalyst for the character development.

Of course these shows are primarily character driven shows, but that doesn't mean they're not also about their most prominent central theme.

Except TWD really isn't about the zombies.

The comics barely focused on them actually dealing with zombies.

news of Frank darabont's firing and his troubles with AMC has me concerned about the future of the series:

An agency source says Darabont is "notoriously a pain in the ass" known for "taking a feature-film approach to television," which is meant to suggest that he didn't manage the brisk pace of television well. But an insider says Darabont's approach was what made Walking Dead special. "Frank fights for the show," says an insider. "He doesn't just do what the network wants him to do. … He's a filmmaker, and that's why the show was as good as it was." Sources with ties to the show insist it was on schedule and on budget.

But this source says that AMC had its own ideas about how to make the show more cheaply. The show shoots for eight days per episode, and the network suggested that half should be indoors. "Four days inside and four days out? That's not Walking Dead," says this insider. "This is not a show that takes place around the dinner table." That was just one of what this person describes as "silly notes" from AMC. Couldn't the audience hear the zombies sometimes and not see them, to save on makeup? The source says Darabont fought "a constant battle to keep the show big in scope and style."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/walking-dead-what-happened-fired-221449

Yeah, I was afraid of AMC's recent success going to their heads, and it looks like its already started.

Except TWD really isn't about the zombies.

The comics barely focused on them actually dealing with zombies.

Well I don't know anything about the comic, but the show places them pretty prominently on both an emotional and physical level.

and thats why the show sucks

Hmm, I heard he was the one that quit because of cutbacks AMC is trying to place on this and Breaking Bad because they went overboard with Mad Men budget. Like they're trying to get Breaking Bad, for it's 5th (and probably final) season, to only do 8 episodes. WTF is Mad Men? I never watched it or heard anything about it.

That trailer was pretty tense. Hopefully the second season lives up to it!

They had to show that shitty destroyed building again though didn't they! :p

mad men is incredible. i would be so, so happy if AMC just dropped this abortion of a show and focused their budget on more of breaking bad and mad men, or at least put all their efforts there instead.

They barely deal with zombies at all in the comics? News to me. I get what you're saying, and you're right, but the zombies matter a great deal. Hool is more wrong than you though, but he's hool, so what do you expect. Zombies are the premise that drive a human drama of basic survival. Hence, they matter, but they should never be more than a backdrop and motivation to the characters. I honestly don't think that's what they got wrong with the first season. They made it a drama, it was just a shitty, poorly written and acted one. It showed a lot of potential, but never fulfilled it. Based on these trailers I still think it has potential, though I'm not going in with high expectations.

And how does one never hear of Mad Men? Live under a rock much?

So, S2 premiered tonight.

Wasn't too bad apart from the still corny dialog.
Dat ending.
Carl got shot! Time to go to the farm!

I loved it. The dialogue / delivery was cringe-worthy in some places though for sure. The whole intro sequence with Rick talking into the radio was so awkward. Other than that though, great tension and I thoroughly enjoyed the episode. Apparently shit really kicks off around episode 3 of this season.

I've never read the comic and have no intention of. So I don't know how closely events of the show follow that, which seems to be praised quite a bit. But I thought the episode was absolutely awful in regards to the writing. And I think the cringe-worthiness of the Rick character go without saying. It felt like a badly written 80's horror movie.

The whole thing about losing Sophia, I mean cmon. Where did that rifle with the nice, hard butt go? I can understand not firing it, but it still could be used as one hell of a weapon. No sticks, branches, rocks, or anything that could be used as a weapon could be found along the way? Yes, leaving a little girl alone in the middle of the woods where zombies just appear out of nowhere by the dozens is definitely the right choice.

That dude was up on the RV for how long, with binoculars, and couldn't see or even hear dozens (maybe even around 100?) headed their way. All the moaning and other odd noises those things emit I think would be easy to hear when you're talking about large groups of them. And now only certain people can be smelled by them? Could've sworn they spent a whole episode last season about how they're attracted to smell. I guess as the days go by their sense of smell goes, now one only has to hide under a car.

pretty obvious they were driving for a bit before the RV's radiator overheated. and why use the gun stock when there's a chance he could ruin the rifle? rock to the face was much more effective. and rick was driving the walkers away from the girl

Liked the season opener. I'm glad this show is back on the air.
Also I hope they find the girl

pretty obvious they were driving for a bit before the RV's radiator overheated.
What's that have to do with the time between them breaking down and when the "herd" of zombies suddenly appear? At that point he had been up on the roof for several minutes and there were no vehicles running.
and why use the gun stock when there's a chance he could ruin the rifle? rock to the face was much more effective.
I don't know, maybe because he had it in his hand, not like another one can't be found. I'd give it up in a second to save a child's life. But ok, he dropped the rifle, he's sitting there stalking the two walkers as all four of them get deeper and deeper into the woods. You're telling me there wasn't a rock or anything that could be used along his path he could've hit them with? I found it stupid he's going to sit there and keep running parallel to them without doing anything.
and rick was driving the walkers away from the girl
The whole thing in the creek was unnecessary. He had time to grab her, carry her to the creek, and then explain his plan. Why the hell wouldn't you grab her and circle back the way you came where you know you're going to have help. It's not like these things have enhanced motor skills or higher level brain functions. Hell, even finding a tree for her to climb up and stay somewhere where she'd be safe while he took care of them would've made a hell of a lot more sense.

What the **** is up with the ****ing previews? GOD DAMMIT they spoil so much shit in those previews.

Now we know that they find more people(and as a result the kid lives, which was obvious but come on), thanks to the previews... we know the military is still active and flying around helicopters and will be a source of drama in the future, thanks to the previews.

****ing wish I hadn't seen that preview. Previews of next season have had a tradition of generating intrigue for the next episode(s), but these days in hollywood all they do is rape that suspense and spoil shit.

Watching it now but good lord this introductory monologue is ****ing terrible.

EDIT: Finished. Wasn't there a whole big thing about how zombies could smell you in the first season? Horray for lack of consistency!

It was better than most of the first season, but still not very good in my opinion. The only part I actually thought was good was the confrontation over suicide, it was done well and the dialog and acting for that part wasn't shitty for once. Zombies are still crap, with no tension over them at all. They're so ****ING SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. Holy shit they're slow. They actually opted to get into melee with them in the church, and managed to kill them before they even took like two steps. Not a single return-blow. **** they suck.

This show is officially on my "only watch when very bored" list. I was hoping for a lot better.

The zombies always sucked and it was always pretty clear you could take them on 1v1 no problem. It was when they attack in ridiculous numbers that is actually dangerous.

Anyway once again this show makes me cringe with its retarded decisions and crap dialogue, but hell if i will scoff at the makeup and effects. it's why i watch the show

screw you revisionist types; zombies have ALWAYS been slow. one of the best zombie scenes ever was in shaun of the dead where the two mains kill their first zombie. they repeatedly run up to it and give it a good whack. this is what zombies are supposed to be; they're walking dead. fast zombies make no sense as rigor mortis would be an impediment to moving quickly. methinks you guys protest too much about a show centred around survival in a zombie apocalypse. you make it sound like the genre should be more high brow than it could ever possibly be:

The+End+of+Zombie+Shakespeare.png

that would be hella boring. if you want a treatise on what it means to be a re-animated corpse read mary shelly's frankenstein. I for one accept TWD foir what it is: popcorn fiction

Well then traditional zombies suck. They're the most boring shit I've ever seen. I'd rather watch them fighting squirrels. I'm not even ****ing joking.

And if this is about "surviving in a zombie apocalypse" then how come there's never been any issue with them getting what they needed? Like not even a slightly difficult conflict to get food/water/guns/ammo/gas. Any time they need anything its at an arm's length. There have been no difficult survival elements in this show yet, its always focused on "OH SHIT ZOMBIES" or "OH SHIT ROMANCE DRAMA". Its crap, all crap. Like Yuri said, the only redeeming thing about this show is the make up.

Well then traditional zombies suck. They're the most boring shit I've ever seen. I'd rather watch them fighting squirrels. I'm not even ****ing joking.

then why arent you watching Walking Dead Squirrels instead? why watch TWD at all? for example I dont like Dancing with the Stars at all but since I dont watch it, it doesnt bother me

And if this is about "surviving in a zombie apocalypse" then how come there's never been any issue with them getting what they needed? Like not even a slightly difficult conflict to get food/water/guns/ammo/gas.

they did a whole episode around getting guns. and stopping off at every grocery store would get boring fast. survival doesnt mean finding food it means not becoming food

kyrnn said:
Any time they need anything its at an arm's length. There have been no difficult survival elements in this show yet, its always focused on "OH SHIT ZOMBIES" or "OH SHIT ROMANCE DRAMA". Its crap, all crap. Like Yuri said, the only redeeming thing about this show is the make up.

lol Dancing with the Stars has some good make up work.

also what romance? besides the rick/wife betrayal (not even romance but the opposite of romance) there's no romance. look you guys have unrealistic expectations. it's a tv show not meant to appeal to only zombie genre fans. if it were I probably wouldnt watch it as it would get borign really fast. the main draw of the series is the interaction between characters not the zombies

also if I can watch 4 hours of subtitled Peter Greenaway film masquerading as art and not be bored to tears why cant you guys set aside your expectations for 60 mins? really are you that jaded that you find fault in a show about zombies?

Back