the words you thought you'd never hear: Duke Nukem Forver gone GOLD!!!

lets pretend gamers dont really care about graphics and are more concerned as to how a game plays. with that in mind. how is the DNF demo? ok go

yea played it was bloody awful tbh and my expectattions were already low :|

Gearbox actually didn't port the PC version. The PC was the lead platform and Piranha Games ported the console versions. I actually quite enjoyed the demo once I'd gotten over the initial disappointment of having already seen it all in the Pax footage. Controls were what I would expect and the mouse was responsive enough after I turned up the sensitivity and knocked off the smoothing in the options.
Game does what was expected to a DN3D sequel, sure the graphics are hardly cutting edge but then they've shown how the graphics are from the start of the marketing campaign you can hardly be shocked by them now.

My verdict: Okay but hoping the full game will be better.

2 things.

1. I realised I wasn't following Gearbox on Twitter, so I went ahead and did that shit.

2. My bro has this on pre-order so I'll just play his and if it sucks, I'll be able to say it safe in the knowledge I never bought it. Hooray for siblings!

You could have fooled me.

Well it's the truth. :p In fact, blaming Gearbox at all for how the game looks is blaming the wrong people. It was 3DRealms who did most of the development before GBX took over. Besides, the game looks fine.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. From the screenshots I've seen, it doesn't look near as bad as what people were saying.

While not ground breaking, it's not exactly MineCraft...

Well, this was a waste of bandwidth. Gearbox should go back to making expansion packs for Half Life.

but they didn't make the game

I'm downloading the demo right now. I don't have very high expectations for the game, but seeing "Duke Nukem Forever" on my Steam list is just surreal, like someone just Photoshopped it in there to troll me. It's too bad, because from what I'm hearing from other people it sounds like making jokes about the game never coming out was more fun than actually playing it.

It's not really as bad as everyone is saying but it's certainly not what we've been waiting for.

What would be after 14 years of waiting? I can't understand some of the hating of this. I can understand people disliking the two weapon system, it's not as it was in Duke 3d same with the health maybe but the actual alien blasting gameplay is spot on. The weapons feel right and as they did in Duke 3d and the controls for the truck in the game are great as well. Sure the visuals aren't on par with the best games this year but this game has been stuck in dev hell for two years and people wanted them to stop and change the engine again?
Even if some people hated the level design of the mines I even doubt this mission will be in the game in it's current form, GBX had a different demo lined up (Randys words) but must have run out of time and put it together from the Pax demo.
I enjoyed it after I played it through again and focused more on the gameplay and I expect the game to be a lot better.

I don't know, it's pretty damn bad. I was expecting mediocre or disappointing at the worst, but it's really just downright bad. The basic shooting is just okay, not great, but just about everything else is terrible. The whole game lurches awkwardly along with no sense of pace, and it has a really amateurish vibe about it. It feels like playing a leaked alpha more than a demo. The two weapon thing is just idiotic; I have no idea how anyone could not realize how stupid a decision it is to have a game full of weird weapons to mess around with, and the limit you to having two at a time. The shrink ray for example is fun to play with (although having no ability to kick drags it a lot) but not very effective at killing people. It would make so much more sense to let you carry all the weapons so you can just shrink people whenever you think it would be fun instead of burdening you with a weak weapon that prevents you using the other ones. And the vehicle part was just embarrassing, especially the way the screen just fades to white when you go out of bounds and just drops you back on the road like a PS2 era kid's movie tie-in game. The whole thing is just sort of pitiful. This is the best they could do? Really?

Wonder who's idea it was to pump things like regenerating health and two weapon limits into an old school shooter. Surely they must have realized this didn't work when they were playtesting.

I've no problem with regen health for some fps - it encourages risk taking - but the weapon limit seems a little odd. This isn't Halo in which you're carefully picking a weapon combo for a given siutation, it's mindlessly shooting everything in sight.

Serious Sam is the new Duke.

There isn't? I thought i just couldnt find the button for it.

**** that shit :|

Well... after seeing all this, I'm sorry to say Bullet Storm is the better game in pretty much every way.

Read this from the guy who played the PAX demo then recently played a near final build. The he tried the FAC demo:-

http://www.plughead.net/impressions-duke-nukem-demo

Seems the PAX version was an outdated version as much as I didn't believe the idea when it was flung around the Gearbox forums.

Then again, him claiming there is no mouse cursor in the menu does make me question whether he actually does know what he's talking about.

Downloading the demo now.

Serious Sam has been the new Duke for a long time in my book.

Not expecting too much from this but I don't have the same expectations or standards as many of you so we'll see how it goes!

I like how they're releasing duke nukem like it still has all of its relevance and championship title... as if years and years and years of failure and disappointment didn't tarnish the image of what the game could be.

Though I guess I wouldn't expect any less from a marketing department.

If I get this game. I'll have to get the PC version then, as it needs some mod work.

Well, word coming from the 360 camp is that the final game is so much better than the demo. Still no specifics though but it has raised my hope that the blood decals are working properly in the final game.

Game has just been released everywhere except for North America. Impressions anyone?

edit:
B4YM9.jpg

Not sure how much sense that makes though.

Played through the initial chapter (Lady Killer) and so far I think it's fantastic but then I'm not one of these that had the unrealistic expectation of the best game in 14 years. The game has moved on slightly from Duke3D as in now you can no longer run around like a crazy fool while on a mad hunt for key cards. A lot of what I have played so far has been scripted in the same vein as HL2 NPC encounters, with a couple of vehicle sections thrown in. The humour so far has been spot on and the moment from the trailers where you have to sign the kids book was brilliant. Unfortunately it seems Gearbox have dialled down the gore, with very few decals from enemies being shot. It can't be a bug as it's like this in all versions so I guess it was a concious decision, which is odd considering you can still blow arms and legs off etc. So it's different from Duke 3D as it has conformed somewhat to what modern shooter are expected to be, but it still has the Duke charm and great gunfights you're just going to have to put up with a lot more scripted stuff as well so If you want a modern Duke3D in exact gameplay sense you won't find it here.

Oh and yeah, graphics are fine and the game is infinitely better than the demo :).

Will have some videos up shortly but you'll have to put up with my rather crappy commentary (my very first one, so...yeah).

Will have some videos up shortly but you'll have to put up with my rather crappy commentary (my very first one, so...yeah).

lol, looking forward to it. I am subbed to your channel.

What is this communist bullshit making the best country in the world ever wait longer than the sissies in Europe/Oceanic territories. **** off with that shit.

Back