Theory for Dividing by 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

[RE]Leon

Reaction score
Here you go. This is basic math.

dividebyzero.jpg

The X's represent a number divided by itself. Hence the one. 0 represents zero.

If you take a number and divide it by itself, you get one (the centerline of 1) But math says that you can't divide by zero. But if you divide zero by zero, you get one.

If you go from the top right instead of bottom left, you get -1 and so forth.

Here you go. This is a graph representing numerical value

0 1

0 1

0 1

0 1
X X X X

The X's represent a number divided by itself. Hence the one. 0 represents zero.

If you take a number and divide it by itself, you get one (the centerline of 1) But math says that you can't divide by zero. But if you divide zero by zero, you get one.

If you go from the top right instead of bottom left, you get -1 and so forth.

it's not often we get math professors on HL2.net, i salute you doctor

I changed it with a picture. The text wasn't working.

And thank you, jverne. Would you be surprised if I said that I was in 7th grade?

0 divided by any numerical value is still 0

But what if it's divided by a non-numerical value, such as zero?

Any value divided by itself is one. Or so says basic math.

Basic math also says anything divided by zero is zero. And that, my friend, is mind boggling.

The importance of the "Can't divide anything by zero" rule undoubtedly precedes the "Anything divided by itself is one" rule.

Which is why we need to break off a piece of the earth, float into outerspace, and make our own new colony

We shall call it.....City 17.....muahaha.

But what if it's divided by a non-numerical value, such as zero?

Any value divided by itself is one. Or so says basic math.

It would be great if that happened in real life.

I divide 0 $ by 0 $ and have 1 $, and so on, and so forth. LOL

0/0 cannot be stand alone, it must have limits. It most certainly does not equal 1.

It would be great if that happened in real life.

I divide 0 $ by 0 $ and have 1 $, and so on, and so forth. LOL
I tried cutting my empty wallet in half, but I didn't get 1$ in return. :|

...Wait, I didn't do this right did I?

See but that's dividing your wallet by 2.

You need 0.
No, that's dividing a wallet into 2. :3

EDIT> Furthermore, since it's not the wallet itself we're dividing to get 1$, but the value inside instead (which is 0$), the value is still 0$.

I can't take a zero value to divide anything. (In this case, the zero value would be not attempting to divide the wallet at all.)

Also, this is the best analogy I could come up with to describe the importance of zero value.
Dividing a dollar in real life would give you a torn dollar, not 2$. LOL

You're doing it wrong. You section empty space into 2, and voila a 1$ bill appears.

Board the nearest shuttle into high Earth orbit and commence the process.

I changed it with a picture. The text wasn't working.

And thank you, jverne. Would you be surprised if I said that I was in 7th grade?

i'm kinda surprised you said it now :cheese: :cheers:

I tried cutting my empty wallet in half, but I didn't get 1$ in return. :|

...Wait, I didn't do this right did I?

You were supposed to divide the wallet you don't have by another wallet that doesn't exist and THEN you will get $1.

No no no no, you sir are mistaken. See my post ^^

Would you be surprised if I said that I was in 7th grade?

lol hay guys my teacher told me something that i think is cool let me go to my forum and preach it like i know what im talking about

And zero divided by zero is not one. Zero divided by zero is undefined, not zero, not one. Anything divided by zero is undefined. Law of mathematics, non-negotiable.

And you're implying with 0 / 0 =1 that 0 x 1/0 = 1 by basic laws of mathematics. 1/0 is undefined by any definition, thus 0 / 0 is undefined.

Your "plot" makes no sense at all. Your axes are not a dimension, just a constant value, and your data points are all the same, only drawn in a line. From your tenuous grasp of data management and graphical representation, I would find any insights following from your picture to be very dubious.

dividebyzero.jpg

Along the Y-axis, we have the dimension of 0, in this case represented by 0. Along the X-axis we have a number divided by itself, or 1, represented by a series of Xs. We then chart the value of 1 with respect to the dimensions of 0 and x, giving the following straight line that goes up and to the right.....
....UP and to the RIGHT ladies and gentlemen.
It is therefore perfectly clear that 0 divided by 0 is 1.
Thank you.

Yes its a crap graph and its not how maths is done.

I think it's accepted that 0/0=1 but anything else over 0 is undefined.

ANYTHING over zero is undefined.

Division is simply a multiplication by a reciprocal. Example: 2/4 = 2 x 1/4 = 2 x 4^-1.

This does not work for 0/0. 0/0 = 0 x 1/0 =/= 0. Undefined.

A simple explanation for why 0/0 != 1
0x1=0
0x2=0
0x1=0x2
0/0x1=0/0x2
1=2

:) if 0/0x1=0/0x2, then you can't DIVIDE by 0/0 to get 1=2 :)
Also 0/0 is undefined, and ANYTHING/0 is infinity, not undefined.
Graph is crap, theory is a crap, thread is useless. I laughed, thanks.

Also 0/0 is undefined, and ANYTHING/0 is infinity, not undefined.
Solaris said:
facepalm2sn8.jpg

People of HL2.net: You must pass calculus 101 before you are allowed to talk about maths. Otherwise, shut the **** up.

Dividing by zero takes you to infinity and beyond!

I think Dan's method explains it best.

0/0 doesnt equal 1.

Also, since when does Anything Else/0 equal infinity? Thats totally wrong. You are probably thinking of limits in terms of Anything/0+ or Anything/0-

I think Dan's method explains it best.

0/0 doesnt equal 1.

Also, since when does Anything Else/0 equal infinity? Thats totally wrong. You are probably thinking of limits in terms of Anything/0+ or Anything/0-

f(x)1/x

When that x number gets smaller and smaller and smaller(think progressively smaller fractions), it goes off into infinity as the number gets larger and larger and larger, since you'll never get to the end of the fractions that are possible. And if you've finally gotten to a clean even zero, well, that's impossible since you'd have reached infinity and infinity is not a number, it's a concept. It's a concept that can be represented though.

I apoligize for the misuse of concepts. I should have said APPROACHES infinity.

f(x)1/x

When that x number gets smaller and smaller and smaller(think progressively smaller fractions), it goes off into infinity as the number gets larger and larger and larger, since you'll never get to the end of the fractions that are possible. And if you've finally gotten to a clean even zero, well, that's impossible since you'd have reached infinity and infinity is not a number, it's a concept. It's a concept that can be represented though.

But if you do in fact reach zero, it instantly becomes undefined. Clear line between "infinitely small" and "zero".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back