This is a poll about the ''Can a cat surrvie a fall from the empire state building''

Can a cat surrvie a fall from the Empire State Building?

• Yes

Votes: 41 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 40 49.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
jesus christ people, like 23 pages now on whether a cat can survive a fall or not.....

EDIT

ailevation said:
kill cats. Drop em away!

i have other ways to kill kittens

dream431ca said:
And your right about it being hard to solve this problem. Therefore, we use an average cat size and weight, and we assume it lands on all 4 legs at the same time therefore distrubitng the force equally through it's legs, we must also know how much force the bones in the legs can take, and if the internal organs would get damaged because of the shock of the impact. This problem is much more complex than some might consider it to be.
Each cat is completely different, they have different lengths of leg, some have stronger legs, some are overweight, some are underweight, some may land on their back legs first, some may land with the front legs first, some may have a genetic defect in their balance, some may have poor sight, some may be deaf, some may have no tail/short tail and less balance, some may have whiskers that are longer/shorter which effect balance, some may be resistance to passing out, some may be strong, some may have vertigo, some may be long haired effecting drag, some may be short-hair, some may be very small in size, some may be very big, some may have bigger feet, some may have larger pads, some may have strong cartledge in their bones and spine, some may have little, some may be younger and be more agile, some may be older and more experienced...I could go on, now do physics calculations for all that for a single cat and decide, every cat differs, theres no definitive answer.

It could be substantially simplified by taking the ideal average cat and using that for the calculations. That way you find a feasable answer than a complete answer that covers all variables. Of course things are going to be wrong...we want to get the data to prove the physics of why and how it is possible for any cat...much less all cats.

Hectic Glenn said:
Each cat is completely different, they have different lengths of leg, some have stronger legs, some are overweight, some are underweight, some may land on their back legs first, some may land with the front legs first, some may have a genetic defect in their balance, some may have poor sight, some may be deaf, some may have no tail/short tail and less balance, some may have whiskers that are longer/shorter which effect balance, some may be resistance to passing out, some may be strong, some may have vertigo, some may be long haired effecting drag, some may be short-hair, some may be very small in size, some may be very big, some may have bigger feet, some may have larger pads, some may have strong cartledge in their bones and spine, some may have little, some may be younger and be more agile, some may be older and more experienced...I could go on, now do physics calculations for all that for a single cat and decide, every cat differs, theres no definitive answer.

That's why there's no definative answer. We can only make conclusions statisically.

A small percentage of humans would survive falling from the top floor of the empire state building.

You people argue about some of the stupidest crap i've ever seen.

Hectic Glenn said:

every human has a different genetic makeup, how can we market a drug to cure something or make you feel better when EVERY HUMAN IS INDEED DIFFERENT??? SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME !!!!

Muffin Man said:
every human has a different genetic makeup, how can we market a drug to cure something or make you feel better when EVERY HUMAN IS INDEED DIFFERENT??? SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME !!!!
the thing getting cured always has the same genetic structure :p

Ikerous said:

You just edited everyone's posts in Java to make it seem that way! :hmph:

A cat could in theory survive the fall, however the chance of survival of the average cat is extremely low, probably less that 0.5%.
By survival i mean, staying alive for at least a day afterwards.
It's quite easy for something to fall, **** itself up but still live a few minutes etc.

Ikerous said:

Another site I frequent still has an ongoing argument, after almost 2 years, about which is better - A table or a jetski. I kid you not.

Pi Mu Rho said:
Another site I frequent still has an ongoing argument, after almost 2 years, about which is better - A table or a jetski. I kid you not.

A jetski can serve the same purpose as a table

Pi Mu Rho said:

Wow, some people argue absolute bollocks. The answer is obviously a table.

kirovman said:
Wow, some people argue absolute bollocks. The answer is obviously a table.

Umm, tables don't contribute to the greenhouse effect and are therefore inferior.

What, Did I miss the part when we started talking about the greenhouse effect?

OvA said:
Umm, tables don't contribute to the greenhouse effect and are therefore inferior.

My friend, you are wrong. There are many thousands of millions of tables around the world. A simple burning of all these tables will result in many greenhouse gases being released into the atmosphere.

o boy here we go again, I bet you in the near future there will be another math war lol

Blackghost905 said:
o boy here we go again, I bet you in the near future there will be another math war lol
Math is such a beautiful eloquent artform, why must it be used for war :(

A more specific question:

If you were going to fall off the empire state building, would you prefer to have a table or a jetski?

Nat Turner said:
A more specific question:

If you were going to fall off the empire state building, would you prefer to have a table or a jetski?
Oooh, damn, nice. I'm definitely thinking jetski

Jetski, That has a pad on the seat! And then I could try and land in the water around the structure

Nat Turner said:

A table. Preferably a card table or some other reasonably large, lightweight table.

I'd prefer to have a table. The 4 legs would cushion the blow of hitting the ground, allowing you to escape with minor bruising to the buttocks. Whereas a jetski would probably explode or something.

Jetski, because it would look far cooler dying on that than a table.

(i thought carefully if either could save you, but they wouldn't)

kirovman said:
I'd prefer to have a table. The 4 legs would cushion the blow of hitting the ground, allowing you to escape with minor bruising to the buttocks. Whereas a jetski would probably explode or something.
yeh but there is water down there somewere I think so you could land in that and live, I guess a parachute was not in the list huh, :(

short recoil said:
Jetski, because it would look far cooler dying on that than a table.

(i thought carefully if either could save you, but they wouldn't)

who said anything about dying?

No one here seemed to notice that TheSomeone's original thread said:

"The Eiffel Tower"
Height: 986 feet (300.5 meters)

while this one says

"The Empire State Building"
Height: 1,250 feet (381 meters)

It doesn't seem like any of you read the damn thread either. I'm pretty sure the conclusion to that thread is that you can't predict if a cat will survive or not because there are too many factors to consider. The cat definately has a much higher chance of survival then, say, a human, but that's all that could really be determined.

Also, I'd like it if Solaris got banned because me and everyone else hates him.

Oh, and jetski, because you can strap a table to a jetski but you can't strap a jetski to a table.

Erestheux said:
No one here seemed to notice that TheSomeone's original thread said:

"The Eiffel Tower"
Height: 986 feet (300.5 meters)

while this one says

"The Empire State Building"
Height: 1,250 feet (381 meters)

It doesn't seem like any of you read the damn thread either. I'm pretty sure the conclusion to that thread is that you can't predict if a cat will survive or not because there are too many factors to consider. The cat definately has a much higher chance of survival then, say, a human, but that's all that could really be determined.

Also, I'd like it if Solaris got banned because me and everyone else hates him.

Oh, and jetski, because you can strap a table to a jetski but you can't strap a jetski to a table.
He is alright, He just likes to express himself

Erestheux said:
The math and the actual statistics suggest that the extra 80 meters wouldn't change the outcome...

EDIT:
The bigger difference between the two titles is that the first one said "it will survive" and this one says "can a cat surrvie [sic]."
The former says the outcome is survival, while the latter asks if it is possible for it to survive.

Ikerous said:
I really like Solaris...
Sorry :)
OCybrManO said:
The math and the actual statistics suggest that the extra 80 meters wouldn't change the outcome.
I know, CyberDude, but no one mentioned it so far... which I thought was pretty funneh.

Yes it would not make any change in the speed that you would be travaling downward, I think please correct me if I am wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back