This is a poll about the ''Can a cat surrvie a fall from the empire state building''

Can a cat surrvie a fall from the Empire State Building?

• Yes

Votes: 41 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 40 49.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glirk Dient said:
A human can survive a fall from an airplane so there is most definately a good chance a cat would survive.

Oh, and don't steal my password on bugmenot.com.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that when falling from great heights (such as an airplane), water becomes as hard a concrete.

Erestheux said:
You're getting a little passionate about this. I don't agree with some of your math you've done earlier, is what I tried to say. I'm sure that once and a while the cat will survive. I just don't think there is a definitive answer to this question.
UNLESS...

*Throws Erestheux off a skyscraper*

Just kidding, mate :p

Beerdude26 said:
UNLESS...

oh gawsh my pants. :eek:

Also, what's this about water? o_0

Ikerous said:
I really dont see how you dont think there's a definitive answer
9 stories is a lot different than 100...?

I think its completely situation based! Gahh!

Erestheux said:
9 stories is a lot different than 100...?

I think its completely situation based! Gahh!
Hence terminal veolicty...
Read the pdf file ><

solaris said:
the gist of him speaking

i think solaris isnt bad at all, i think you just like being an ass about calling other people ass's :rolleyes:

Muffin Man said:
i think solaris isnt bad at all, i think you just like being an ass about calling other people asses:rolleyes:
( ( )
^that's an ass

dammit Ikerous, I did read the PDF, and I do understand Terminal Velocity. I just think there are way to many factors to consider to come up with a decisive answer. if you want to get me a decisive answer, then prove it. help out the SPCA. :D

Beerdude26 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that when falling from great heights (such as an airplane), water becomes as hard a concrete.

UNLESS...

Just kidding, mate :p

Hmm...at those heights it may feel like landing on conrete due to your velocity. However it is still a best option to land on! I think we will need experiments though. Perhaps we can fly Erestheux over a lake and drop him. He can then tell us how it felt like. Of course we would have to drop him onto concrete as well so he would know what that felt like.

Erestheux said:
You're getting a little passionate about this. I don't agree with some of your math you've done earlier, is what I tried to say. I'm sure that once and a while the cat will survive. I just don't think there is a definitive answer to this question.

I am not saying the "math" I have done is 100% accurate. It is more done to try to put things into perspective to people in logical ways. Not to prove a point with facts but prove a point by logic. Also...I'm not really getting passionate about it. I am just trying to reinforce my point that answering no to this question means you should test for mental retardation.

Survive for how long? 15 seconds after impact?

This is getting pointless and stupid. How dare you bother physicists with your trivial questions? Don't come back until you've thrown loads of felines out of buildings. That includes Lions, leopards and Cheetahs.

SixThree said:
Survive for how long? 15 seconds after impact?

Until another factor kills the poor kitty off. As in it will not die from falling-from-high-places related injury.

As in it just got a broken bone, broken tooth...nothing life thretening.

As in it is not a pool of blood and fur.

This poll has just reached 50/50.

That means that half of HL2.net suffers from mental retardation and/or brain worms.

Samon said:
Yeah, this is coming from the man who knows. He posted and posted. And got it removed. Cried crocodile tears. We can't have that again.
/Pats Borgasm on the back.
Yeah but since then he's changed completely Samon, he's always posting but not spamming anymore like the new guy, so ya know, turn over a new leaf, forgive and forget?

From Solaris' posts i get the impression hes about 14/15 as they seem to be written from an immature perspective, sometimes when he flames, i think of a stupid childs perspective, but i dont talk about it till now, just thought i'd add that. No problem guys really wasn't.

Btw this thread has always been silly, if you dropped 10,000,000 cats that far, 1 would survive and it would need alot of surgery, so it's not worth saying 'a cat can survive!' So yeah. End...please?

Table > Jetski :)

Glirk Dient said:
Not to prove a point with facts but prove a point by logic. Also...I'm not really getting passionate about it. I am just trying to reinforce my point that answering no to this question means you should test for mental retardation.
"This is my point."
"Do you have proof?"
"No, but look at the logic."
"Yeah, that seems logical, but I'm not believing it until I see it."
"Why not?"
"Because you aren't a math physicist."
"You aren't either."
"Shut up"
"You shut up"
"You were the one with the logic"
"You were the one that didn't agree"
"Idiot"
"Retard"
"Silly"
"Penis"
"Chicken"
"Sulkdodds"
"D:"

Woah, I just forgot who had the last word o_O

Hectic Glenn said:
Yeah but since then he's changed completely Samon, he's always posting but not spamming anymore like the new guy, so ya know, turn over a new leaf, forgive and forget?

From Solaris' posts i get the impression hes about 14/15 as they seem to be written from an immature perspective, sometimes when he flames, i think of a stupid childs perspective, but i dont talk about it till now, just thought i'd add that. No problem guys really wasn't.

Btw this thread has always been silly, if you dropped 10,000,000 cats that far, 1 would survive and it would need alot of surgery, so it's not worth saying 'a cat can survive!' So yeah. End...please?

Table > Jetski :)

Thank you for being intelligent and agreeing.

However...heres something for you and others that have accepted the yes answer to think about.

The terminal velocity of cats is roughly 60mph if the cat is of optimal/average build and conditions. It has 4 legs to dissipate the energy of the fall from and has great absorption(joints) in its body coupled with great sense of balance means it will land on its legs. In fact veterinary studies(shown in other thread) show a higher survivability rate of cats falling from 7 stories or above. In fact from 7-32 stories 95% of cats survive.

Glirk Dient said:
Hmm...at those heights it may feel like landing on conrete due to your velocity. However it is still a best option to land on! I think we will need experiments though. Perhaps we can fly Erestheux over a lake and drop him. He can then tell us how it felt like. Of course we would have to drop him onto concrete as well so he would know what that felt like.
Why me?! :(

Water isn't really a great option to land on, either, when you're going that fast. It can't move out of the way fast enough to break your fall that much. It might even be better to land on a hard surface cuz water can rush up your ass cuz its looking for somewhere to go...

I'm just going to home I don't fall from very large heights any time soon... :p
I am not saying the "math" I have done is 100% accurate. It is more done to try to put things into perspective to people in logical ways. Not to prove a point with facts but prove a point by logic. Also...I'm not really getting passionate about it. I am just trying to reinforce my point that answering no to this question means you should test for mental retardation.
You're getting passionate enough to yell at people in big red letters :p
Glirk Dient said:
That means that half of HL2.net suffers from mental retardation and/or brain worms.
god you're being obnoxious

Beerdude26 said:
"This is my point."
"Do you have proof?"
"No, but look at the logic."
"Yeah, that seems logical, but I'm not believing it until I see it."
"Why not?"
"Because you aren't a math physicist."
"You aren't either."
"Shut up"
"You shut up"
"You were the one with the logic"
"You were the one that didn't agree"
"Idiot"
"Retard"
"Silly"
"Penis"
"Chicken"
"Sulkdodds"
"D:"

Woah, I just forgot who had the last word o_O

You don't need proof in this thread. Look at the other thread that has the proof and articles of cats surviving. Look at the veterinary data that shows 95% survival rate. If you need proof you need to jump off a bridge. Of course a cat can survive a fall from that height. A more debatable question would be if you would think it is likely. Most people would not think it is likely until they realize cats are > superman.

Read my above post as that has more data to back this up.

This poll suggests that half of halflife2.net either lacks the capacity for logical thought or just doesn't care to be correct...

Raeven0 said:
This poll suggests that half of halflife2.net either lacks the capacity for logical thought or just doesn't care to be correct...
Well that helped the discussion so much, now didn't it? :)

Erestheux said:
Why me?! :(

Water isn't really a great option to land on, either, when you're going that fast. It can't move out of the way fast enough to break your fall that much. It might even be better to land on a hard surface cuz water can rush up your ass cuz its looking for somewhere to go...

It wa suggested by someone else that you be the test subject. As for what you want to land in. Water is still better than trees or a hard surface. I would rather have water up my ass than rocks and twigs and dirt.

You're getting passionate enough to yell at people in big red letters :p

I didn't yell in letters becuase I was mad or angry or anything like that. I was just emphasizing my point.

god you're being obnoxious

It happens :E

Glirk Dient said:
It was suggested by someone else that you be the test subject.
I was kidding D:

Or wasn't I? :naughty:

*Maniacal cackling*

Erestheux said:
Well that helped the discussion so much, now didn't it? :)

What discussion? All I see is logicians trying desperately to pound reason into a bunch of Pop-Tarts. Rather reminds me of those times where I try to tell people that it's counter-intuitive to buy a pair of trousers priced higher than a small car.

Raeven0 said:
What discussion? All I see is logicians trying desperately to pound reason into a bunch of Pop-Tarts. Rather reminds me of those times where I try to tell people that it's counter-intuitive to buy a pair of trousers priced higher than a small car.
But what if they're Nike trousers? Everone loves Nike. Surely they can then be highly overpriced.

what if they were pants that allowed me to survive very long falls ???

Ikerous said:
I really like the Pop-Tarts with icing on the outside

I never got into Pop-Tarts, but hot damn, those chocolate ones are gooood...

Muffin Man said:
as much as you commenting on it did !!!!
I didn't even see him state which side of this debate he is on. I think I've done my part of letting my opinion be known and giving reasons for it. :)

Coming into threads like this and saying "god u ppl r stupid" is annoying to me.

I've done a quick analysis of the thread, and came to this astounding conclusion:

schematic1an.gif

Beerdude26 said:
I've done a quick analysis of the thread, and came to this astounding conclusion:

*snip*

indeed indeed, i specially like the graph itself

Beerdude26 said:

schematic1an.gif

Please provide the maths used to define that curve.

So beerdude we started this thread half way through it, then we went backwards in time as it got more to the point, until we got to the start of the thread where its got the exact point at hand in the main focus. Good one!

Hectic Glenn said:
So beerdude we started this thread half way through it, then we went backwards in time as it got more to the point, until we got to the start of the thread where its got the exact point at hand in the main focus. Good one!
....? o_0

i liek ur graff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back