this picture and it's implications are magnificent

jverne

Reaction score
article-1159091-03BD2461000005DC-24_468x351_popup.jpg

our tiny sun is alone and lost amongst billions of stars, desperate to find some company.

ok i suck at drama...but it's really awe inspiring.
and besides we can only search as far as 3000 light years which is not even enough to scan our corner of the galaxy.

oh and this picture refers to the Kepler telescope

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler_Mission

it's really an exciting mission. can't wait for the results due in 3 or 5 years.

Nice one. I do love a bit of space. And any excuse to post this gif.

solarsystemiy9.gif

Cool. Space is awesome! :D

holy shit...in phobies gif, when it switches to Arcturus, that star is bigger than our solar system...****!

usp: sorry its Aldebaran

Space just blows me away.

We like to think we can put a limit on the reaches of space, but we simply dont have a clue. At best what we produce is guesses, so theres no point in it.

It's something the human mind cant comprehend.

*sigh* Wish something would make contact with us before I die, would really love to be around for that.

I mean just look at Canis Majoris...my god, thats just..just..we cant even describe how big that is. Wonder how long it would take to go around it's equator on the surface.

If you took how long it takes to do it on the Earth, then take that time and compare that to the sun's orbital time on the ground, and then if you were able to calculate how many times bigger Majoris is compared to the sun, and found out that answer...we're talking hundreds/thousands of years just to..ok im lost.

Space just blows me away.

We like to think we can put a limit on the reaches of space, but we simply dont have a clue. At best what we produce is guesses, so theres no point in it.

It's something the human mind cant comprehend.

*sigh* Wish something would make contact with us before I die, would really love to be around for that.

me too

and btw

vy-canis-majoris.jpg

Cool pics. There really is nothing quite like the mind**** that is space.

Although it would kind of be cool if some aliens came to visit, what would we humans do if we came across some inferior race out there one day? Sure, we'd all be chums to begin with but you can be pretty certain we'd **** them over for our own personal gain eventually.

Cool pics. There really is nothing quite like the mind**** that is space.

Although it would kind of be cool if some aliens came to visit, what would we humans do if we came across some inferior race out there one day? Sure, we'd all be chums to begin with but you can be pretty certain we'd **** them over for our own personal gain eventually.

it's what we are best at.

I was actually looking deep into that picture for some sort of sexual innuendo, bearing jverne and the thread title in mind.

I humbly apologize, jverne. :cheers:

I am FASCINATED with how tremendous the universe is. I cannot wrap my mind around it. The fact that in the Milky Way alone, 3,000 light years on the scale of the OP's picture cant be more than an inch or two on my screen.

THREE THOUSAND EFFING LIGHT YEARS

Anyone who actually believes that we're the only intelligent(lol) life out there, really hasn't looked any further than our solar system.

Wow. Really makes you think. Only thing I can really say is, this is the first step. Once we leave our solar system, if ever, we will still never make up anything bigger than the fiftieth largest star.

but ...god created man in his image ..where does that leave the aliens?

maybe they do cosmetic surgery in heaven also?

I was actually looking deep into that picture for some sort of sexual innuendo, bearing jverne and the thread title in mind.

I humbly apologize, jverne. :cheers:

I am FASCINATED with how tremendous the universe is. I cannot wrap my mind around it. The fact that in the Milky Way alone, 3,000 light years on the scale of the OP's picture cant be more than an inch or two on my screen.

THREE THOUSAND EFFING LIGHT YEARS

oh and sorry to disappoint you

but while we're at it here's a giant cock just for you

man_with_a_very_big_cock.jpg

They look almost exactly the same. Haven't you ever watched Star Trek?

oh right the forehead ridges and nose bumbs ..however jesus didnt have forehead ridges, although I freely admit that he could have hid them under the crown of thorns/hippy hair

take a look at this video...

even tough this guy fails to realize science is ever changing and nothing is absolute, he does have a point when he talks about red shift. how do we know galaxies are not just orbiting. and beside how do we measure 13 billion years if we don't have a starting point.

edit: i fail...forgot the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl3Uj2UJjPA&feature=channel

To be fair, a lot of Renaissance and Medieval theologans seem to have believed that the true image of God was simply Reason, the capacity for viewing, reflecting, and judging, the light of the soul which really defines a Man.

WHATEVER, guys. Sheesh.

To be fair, a lot of Renaissance and Medieval theologans seem to have believed that the true image of God was simply Reason, .

ok now I know you're drunk or hopped up on goofballs

how the hell did this impregnate the Virgin Mary?:

propellerhead_reason4_thor.jpg

:rolling:

ok now I know you're drunk or hopped up on goofballs

propellerhead_reason4_thor.jpg

:rolling:

No smiley can excuse that :p

Re: Space... it's pretty but dead (as far as we can tell anyway).
EDIT: ...but still, it is VERY pretty!

We're certainly not alone, that's for sure. But the size of the universe is the biggest obstacle for communication between civilizations. Unless there is a way to achieve speeds faster than the speed of life, we problably never will be able to establish communication with aliens.

Not in our life times at least, that's for sure

Unless there is a way to achieve speeds faster than the speed of life,

Life Speed is too slow

Yes, we're gonna have to go right to Ludicrous Speed.

Prepare ship for ludicrous speed! Fasten all seatbelts, seal all entrances and exits, close all shops in the mall, cancel the three ring circus, secure all animals in the zoo!

Life Speed is too slow

Yes, we're gonna have to go right to Ludicrous Speed.

Prepare ship for ludicrous speed! Fasten all seatbelts, seal all entrances and exits, close all shops in the mall, cancel the three ring circus, secure all animals in the zoo!

Redeemed

It's hard to tell, but the 'delay intensity' dial must relate to something.

I like to think that at the centre of the galaxy where the systems are closer together, there are millions of alien races all in contact with each other. They look out to the arms of the Milky Way and frankly do not give a shit if we're out here or not. They've got all the company that they need.

edit: Oh and
Guidestone.jpg

That takes too long.

Edit: now my opinion of you is lower than if you'd just made a repost -.-

SPAAAACE!!!!

I love it. Everything about it. The fact that we can explain about .0001% of it just makes it even more thrilling. We are living in the era of discovery.

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. "

Single most remarkable space video ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgg2tpUVbXQ

To me, the Hubble Ultra Deep Field image is the greatest. Each one of the specs of light in this picture is an entire galaxy. Each galaxy contains millions of stars. Each star has the possibility of having planets. Each planet, the possibility for life.

udf.jpg

Each form of life: the possibility of new computer games.

Back