Top 10 sci-fi Films that never existed

I totally agree with everything in that article.

And I think a Starcraft movie would be awesome.

William Gibson would have made that movie PWN.

I should of directed the DOOM movie. It woulda been more like the Original focusing on religion rather than science and Tom Sizemore would have starred.

HHGTTG was a huge let down. Terry Gillium would have rocked. Especially if he did it with the bare minimum of CG, or atleast used very stylized CG rather than the plastic look we normally see.

Definately Agree.

That's why they should have made the Prequel to the Matrix first! :E

Uriel said:
I should of directed the DOOM movie. It woulda been more like the Original focusing on religion rather than science and Tom Sizemore would have starred.

You want a man who records himself having sex with multiple women and talking about killing cops...on the same video? Sizemore was cool 10 years ago. Now he's just a bastard.

For Doom, I probably would've made it exactly like Doom 3. The plot was good enough in that for a film.
For Starcraft, I'd turn that into an epic trilogy. But then...with comparisons to Star Wars and such, it'd probably never be picked up.

DOOM should have been exactly like the game, testosterone filled, square jawed marine beasting the shit out of demons.

Darker, dirtier but not as dark as the 3rd game.....

*me will not die in peace until a good starcraft movie is made*

things like that really proof that hollywood hav going dowhill,still some things are ture like the budget isues,but still is a movie is considered to be super awsome and good sure everyone will go watch it

that novel snow crash sounds very cool,anyone hav more info?

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy was in INCREDIBLY unfunny movie.

Oh and that article is good. I especially enjoyed the part with the star wars bit. Its right on the money.

I agree totally with that article,a Starcraft movie would be awesome,along with many other games,unfortunatly as the article said "Hollywood will throw out any old piece of crap thinking gaming fans will go see it anyways. The same applies for all the other overused thriller/horror films that I see my ignorant friends going to see. The only way for us to get quality films with ORIGINAL plots is for us all as people to collectively stop seeing shitty movies and demand more bang for our $9.00 tickets!

#1 science fiction film that should be made:

Short recoil is happily typing away and making posts on the internets. Suddenly, a ytmnd starts flashing on his screen "Safety not guaranteed" in really big letters. At that moment government agents storm into his house. Short recoil takes his biggest airsoft gun and clubs all the agents to death. As more agents come in helicopters, short recoil slaughters them all and then makes a daring escape. For the rest of the movie he goes around owning people just like he does in real life on a daily basis. I guess you could call this movie a documentary that's only slightly exaggerated. In essence, it would be wicked sweet.

Well I thought that HHGTG was a decent little movie that was a fine addition to the Hitchhiker lore.

But I agree with most of the rest of that list.

DeusExMachinia said:
You want a man who records himself having sex with multiple women and talking about killing cops...on the same video? Sizemore was cool 10 years ago. Now he's just a bastard.

For Doom, I probably would've made it exactly like Doom 3. The plot was good enough in that for a film.
For Starcraft, I'd turn that into an epic trilogy. But then...with comparisons to Star Wars and such, it'd probably never be picked up.

He still woulda made a grand Space Marine.

ARGGGGGGG, WANNA DIRECT MOVIES SO BADLY! I'd remake DOOM then make Quake.

Ennui said:
And I think a Starcraft movie would be awesome.
I can't say how much I agree with you there.
It would really be something to see, but basing on how crappy all video game based movies there have been so far, plus the Alien vs. Predator movie, I have a feeling it would suck donkey balls.

Nuts to the movie industry, just keep to the games I say.

The problem with Video game movies is, that the movies stray away from the plot or feeling of the games themselves. Doom couldn't work, IT DIDN'T HAVE A ****ING PLOT. Resident Evil was one that failed because of some bastard who rewrote the plot.

I recently read a screenplay someone made on the original Resident Evil...which was basically the same way the game went (same characters, same mansion, same...) but with movie elements. Sure, it strayed a little too far to a game at times "Barry I want you to find 4 crests, one wind, one star etc", but apart from that the whole thing sounded great (if it had a great director and actors of course).

Nice article, love the idea of a Starcraft and Matrix Prequel :)

short recoil said:
DOOM should have been exactly like the game, testosterone filled, square jawed marine beasting the shit out of demons.

Darker, dirtier but not as dark as the 3rd game.....
I knew Doom the movie would be nothing like that.

Direwolf said:
Well I thought that HHGTG was a decent little movie that was a fine addition to the Hitchhiker lore.

But I agree with most of the rest of that list.

Agreed. Admittedly it didn't capture DNA's writing like he said it should've, but it wasn't horribly, horribly, bad.

The best way you can disagree with the Doom movie (which really doesnt even deserve that title.. it should of been 'resident evil in space') is by boycotting it like I did.

Darksabre said:
The problem with Video game movies is, that the movies stray away from the plot or feeling of the games themselves. Doom couldn't work, IT DIDN'T HAVE A ****ING PLOT.
Eh? Come on now man, take it back to its essence. Squad of marines vs demons from hell on a remote outpost on mars. That's a brilliant concept for a movie. And the stupid bastards managed to make a bad film out of it. It just beggars belief.

SNOW CRASH!! Mega kudos to this guy for mentioning the potential of a film from Snow Crash. You all read to need to read this novel (by Neal Stephenson).

Snow Crash said:
"You're stuck on this Raft, asshole. I got a million Myrmidons here. You gonna kill 'em all?"
"Swords don't run out of ammo."

Awesome.

Also second this:
Nat Turner said:
Short recoil is happily typing away and making posts on the internets. Suddenly, a ytmnd starts flashing on his screen "Safety not guaranteed" in really big letters. At that moment government agents storm into his house. Short recoil takes his biggest airsoft gun and clubs all the agents to death. As more agents come in helicopters, short recoil slaughters them all and then makes a daring escape. For the rest of the movie he goes around owning people just like he does in real life on a daily basis. I guess you could call this movie a documentary that's only slightly exaggerated. In essence, it would be wicked sweet.

FTW. Maybe somehow work in a subplot about the time-travelling mullet-man.

I reckon Zodiac would make a good film. As would Gibson's Virtual Light.

EDIT: I also love in Snow Crash where Hiro says something to the effect of 'give up the girl or I'll pop a cap in yo ass' and:
RIFE: Can't! This glass is bulletproof! Haw!
PILOT: Actually sir, it isn't.
RIFE: What? Goddamn cheap russian engineering!

/me waves Monkey Island and Broken Sword in Samon's face

Nat Turner said:
#1 science fiction film that should be made:

I'm surprised Short Recoil can walk upright with the fat head ego you guys are inflating for him. :cheese:

Raziaar said:
I'm surprised Short Recoil can walk upright with the fat head ego you guys are inflating for him. :cheese:

The only possible gap in his defences will come from overconfidence, and even then it is not certain. Otherwise, what hope do we have?

Dont entirely agree with the whole Star Wars part, although i agree the "new episodes" < original movies and it seemed George Lucas's skill for making good scenes had bene replaced by his love for FX and green screens.

Ome_Vince said:
Dont entirely agree with the whole Star Wars part, although i agree the "new episodes" < original movies and it seemed George Lucas's skill for making good scenes had bene replaced by his love for FX and green screens.

Hayden Christensen is actually a pretty decent actor in the movie "Shattered Glass"

That movie doesn't have action or anything, but its a great movie.

Ome_Vince said:
Have you read any of the Star Wars books that have been written? They could've made an absolutely awesome plot for some sequels. My personal favorite would be the inclusion of the Jedi twins that Leia gives birth to. Seriously, they could've made some really awesome films, but Lucas f*cked it up.

Don't get me wrong, when I saw that space battle in Revenge of the Sith I did turn to my friend and say, "damn, those are some phat-ass effects!" Which was nice, but when I saw the barge scene from Return of the Jedi 20 years ago, all I could think was, "I wonder how Luke is going to get out of this one!"

QFT, I admire this guy already

DEATH eVADER said:
QFT, I admire this guy already

have you ever thought he was 20 years youner and was more naive back then!?

@jverne
I'd have to agree there. When you move as a kid, never visit "the old house" when you're grown up->it'll shatter your sense of scale etc. Nasty feeling when you visit "an old house after such a long time".
Same with ancient games and movies actually.

Nevertheless, i still dont really think those uber-mass scenes make a good movie. Hell those buzz-droids reminded me of the Matrix, and not only that, it seems technology was far better then, than in the movies after that. :S ( wtf did the light saber duals look like a bunch of grandpa's swinging golf-clubs compared to the fast jump-kick stuff in episode 1-2-3. And dont gimme the "age" thing for Vader.. If i see the emperor flying all over the place, and Dooku acting like superman, than vader being an older chap "the one" should change nothing to his speed and agility :p ). Vader and the Emperor were much more "cool" in episode 4-5-6. They were elegant, had style and powerfull. Vader shouting "NOOOOOOO" and the Emperor acting like a mutated maniac kinda shattered that image for me :(
I thought the Emperor was so powerfull he no longer needed a light saber. Same thing for Yoda. A knight = lightsaber, a master = uberdude with lighting and saber no longer needed to kick butt. The lighting should not be able to be deflected by the saber....

@Icarusintel
Yeah i read a few "after return of the jedi" scripts/comics which were REALLY good. The Admiral Thrawn stuff is great.
I like the whole "anakin growing up -> turn to dark side", makes it tragic -> only if done right...
Seems lucas (actually in return of the jedi it started a little), has become more and more a Disney director..

Back