Tough Choice

nofreeman

Spy
Reaction score
Well i have been given a ultimatum by my perants either join the police force,
or get my PHD in computer science!!

Police is the easy choice, my dad hes in their and so are my two brothers and plus its just a couple of simple test to pass and about 6 months training! and you get like 50.000 a year which is pretty damn good.

PHD would be the most challenging by far and alot of hardwork and time.... not to mention alot of money, its kinda hard to grasp on to something like this when u have a simple yet fun job presented to you but computing has been my life and i wanna job were i can set my mind and inovation alight! plus i guess i could get a job anywere and love what im doing to!!

so give me your opinons on what i should consider!!

Do you not get paid for computing PhDs?

PhD pay is tax free though, at least here it is.

Grow a pair and do what you want to do - it's time to be your own boss :)

If you mess things up you can always become a cop at a later date.

Grow a pair and do what you want to do - it's time to be your own boss :)

If you mess things up you can always become a cop at a later date.

This ^. Your life is your choice. You should do whatever you want.

Both! World needs more PhD cops!

In the name of altruism, Ph.D.

In the name of you are your own person, whatever you want to do.

Dont turn down possible opportunities just because they are hard. Besides, if you fail, you can always take the police choice since u will always have connections there.

Be the black sheep and break family tradition.

Get your Phd then join then police force?

Get your badge and bust the skulls of people with a PHD in computer science.

Definitely go for the PhD. It shouldn't really matter how much you make as long as you like it. If it does though, I'm sure getting it would open a lot of doors in the job-getting world. Quite a few of which would probably pay more than the police job.

get a PHD in theoretical physics instead, and then go join the police force

Any reason you can't do both? I mean, not at the same time, but I'm sure the police could use someone highly skilled with computers.

Hm, I'll *hopefully* be getting my masters degree soon in Computer Science, and I'm tempted by a PhD too, though I'll have to find a research group doing something I'm interested it.

The best thing about having a PhD is getting the Dr. title, and also the fact you get paid, and also the job oppurtunities, on the downside they're hard to get and can take years. It's not as simple as "getting a PhD", the money you get for doing one isn't a lot these days so you'll have to get a job as well to supplement your income, since you'll probably be doing it for at least 4 years.

You get some kickass choices I got: go to local community college or take a year off for work to save for a better college...

I chose the year off.

i was going to became Theoretical physicist and cause a resonance cascade and F***k the world!

Become a criminal mastermind and be the nemesis of the rest of your family.

Yeah good idea, i may be able to scam a couple hundred bucks out of my brothers

Lol you nutjobs.

I would go for the PhD unless you start the police force at the middle.

You are going to get a PhD but you can't tell the difference between there and their? Is there any justice at all in this world?

You get some kickass choices I got: go to local community college or take a year off for work to save for a better college...

I chose the year off.

completely offtopic : whats wrong with OSAP ?

ontopic: Why does it have to be a PhD ? , i don't see whats wrong with just getting a masters or even a bachelors if its what you enjoy doing. This is a decision that governs a rather large proportion of your life so its important that it isn't swayed by parental pressure/convenience or even money.

completely offtopic : whats wrong with OSAP ?

ontopic: Why does it have to be a PhD ? , i don't see whats wrong with just getting a masters or even a bachelors if its what you enjoy doing. This is a decision that governs a rather large proportion of your life so its important that it isn't swayed by parental pressure/convenience or even money.

But then what should sway this decision? Surely those three things are actually fairly important. He could end up as a poor, perpetually inconvenienced man who is despised by his parents!

But then what should sway this decision? Surely those three things are actually fairly important. He could end up as a poor, perpetually inconvenienced man who is despised by his parents!

hehe . I just meant that he should do it for his own reasons . Do what you enjoy , what challenges you.

If you become a cop, nobody will like you.

If you become a PhD, nobody will understand you.

You should just become a street-busking crazy-guy who claims to have a PhD, and knows the police's secrets.

Be a bounty hunter-no seriously, look into it, known as "bond enforcement agents" or whatever. If it were between being a cop and a bounty hunter, I'd totally be a bounty hunter, you get the authority aspect but you get to travel around as well.

Also, dress as Boba Fett.

So your parents haven't entertained the idea that you might want to be a gigolo?

Back