Transformers

Awesomely fantastic movie. Saw it again last night. But, it would seem as though, not only is Starscream AWOL, but Barricade never makes it to the city fight...he shows up during the highway chase, and that is the last we see him...

Just got back from seeing it. It's awesome. Especially if you stop thinking about halfway through it and just watch the pretty fights.

I gotta say, it was exactly what I was expecting, more than what I was expecting, and less than what I as expecting, all at the same time.

SPOILERS

What happened to those little mini-transformers the cube made when Sam dropped it? o_O

I can agree with some of your points but I think the message you're putting through is mainly senseless nitpicking, "I could do better than that guy because I don't have to worry about the movie being accessible to the majority of US visitors".

You do know logic like this is the reason why so many blockbusters suck? From that sentence it sounds like your completely underestimating how smart film-goers are. I mean, this film was guaranteed to make money.

A big-budget live-action Transformers film with Spielberg attached as a producer. From the moment Spielberg signed on, it was guaranteed to be the cash cow of the american summer. That still doesn't mean the movie had to be dumbed-down with shitty directing to make it accessible to all audiences. Look at E.T. Almost $800,000,000 USD worldwide, and its a family film about an alien that becomes a boys best friend. Thanks to some fantastic direction and script-writing it turned out to be a fantastic and highly enjoyable film for all ages.

Regardless of what the premise to a film is, there really isn't any excuse for shitty directing. Yeah, its a film about giant robots that come from space to save the planet. But that doesn't give Bay a reason to sit back and suck at his job.

Well I can guarantee that Transformers will pull in 800mil or more if you give it 20 years, like you have ET...

Well I can guarantee that Transformers will pull in 800mil or more if you give it 20 years, like you have ET...

That was during it's theatrical run, which will likely be no longer then transformers. Plus, 800 mill from 1982 adjusted for inflation is well over 2 billion now a days and i guarantee Transformers isn't going to scrape 1 billion at the boxoffice.

Few rants about this movie:

- Starcsream did jack shit in this movie. He destroyed few aircrafts, fired missiles at autobots but that's about it. He didn't even bother trying to help Megatron. He was just there in the near end of the movie.

- Brawl aka Devastator died in a lame way. He got his ass owned by Ironhide despite the fact that Devastator is one of the toughest Decepticon member.

- Blackout got owned by bunch of aircrafts. He was my favorite transformer and he died in a most lamest way without fighting any autobots.

- Megatron showed up in last 30 mins of the movie, we only see him transform once or twice.

- Where the hell did Barricade disappear into? Did he decided to chicken out from the final battle?

- Bonecrusher died in 10 mins after he showed up.

Personally, I think bonecrusher died in an awesome way...Optimus didnt have time for his shit, so he just ripped the dudes head off...

optimusprimewithswordkbmo5.gif

Barricade, we dont know....TF2 has gotten the greenlight, so we can find out just what DID happen to Starscream, Barricade and Frenzy...

Just got back from this, and thought it was fantastic for being so immensely silly. When it was funny it was damn funny, when action happened it was astounding and impressive, and it was all overlaid with the kind of eighties cartoon insanity that gave the old show its character.

Yeah its pulp, but thats the way I want it. If there was ever any major dramatic or philosophical point to the Transformers I've never seen it, so making it fun was definitely the way to go.

Is the old cartoon really that fun to watch?

I'm really put off by the retro anime art style.

Is the old cartoon really that fun to watch?

I'm really put off by the retro anime art style.

I'm put off by the fact that it's a glorified toy commercial ..seriously I dont see the appeal ..the cartoons were horrid, about as good quality as the gijoe cartoons of the same era: poor writing, horrible dialogue, and crudely animated

I'm put off by the fact that it's a glorified toy commercial ..seriously I dont see the appeal ..the cartoons were horrid, about as good quality as the gijoe cartoons of the same era: poor writing, horrible dialogue, and crudely animated

Exactly the way I feel about it, I mean I don't want to offend anybody but really, the cartoon sucked... the toys were where it was at.

even the toys were shoddy ..they never quite fit together as you'd think a shape shifting robot would

they're only slighty better than the Gobots

I had too google LaBeouf, and I still dont know who he is

edit: ..ohoh

upcoming projects:

Fourth Installment of the Indiana Jones Adventures

Shia LaBeouf's actually pretty cool now. I was reading an interview with him at the AV Club. Seems like a chill guy and is ready to break into movie roles that demand more. Transformers was just something fun he wanted to do and well who wouldn't.

meh I like my leading men less androgynous/wet behind the ears and more craggy gruff and worn around the edges ..lets just say my action movie homo-erotic undertones doesnt include pretty little boys trying their best to grow a convincing 5 o'clock shadow :E

I swear soon I'm going to start throwing stuff at kids and telling them to get off my lawn

DAMN KIDS!!! /me shakes fist/cane

Spielberg usually chooses good child actors for roles, but I'm not too sure about LaBeouf, he was annoying in I, Robot and Constatine. Although I heard hes good in Disturbia (the Rear Window rip).

There was a kid in i,Robot?

they're only slighty better than the Gobots

slighty better than the Gobots

the Gobots

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE! UNIMAGINABLE RAGE! HOW DARE YOU? HOW DARE?! YOU TAKE THAT BACK IMMEDIATELY!

That's the worst insult ever and a complete untruthitude. The toys were great. What do you mean, "they never fit together how a robot should?" They fit perfectly. I've got Hot Rod sitting right next to me. He transforms very well, thank you. Also, the great thing about these toys was that they were bricks...you couldn't break them if you wanted to. Go ahead and throw them against the wall; they'll dent the wall before the toy breaks. They don't build toys like THAT anymore. And most of the Transformers toys had actual transformations, whereas most of the Gobots you just pull them apart and they're transformed. Compare the transformation of Leader-1 to Blitzwing, and then tell me they're only "slightly" better.

Plus, everyone who said the cartoon sucked...you suck. Seriously. You. Suck. Poor writing my ass, go watch "Fire in the Sky." Poor writing indeed. Watch "The Search for Alpha Trion." Watch WAR DAWN, and tell me about poor writing. Nothing in Beast Wars will ever compare to War Dawn, I'll tell you that.

Also speaking of Beast Wars, I recently realized something:

1184010278791eb3.jpg

Yeah, that's so cool.

Combine Hybrid said:
- Starcsream did jack shit in this movie. He destroyed few aircrafts, fired missiles at autobots but that's about it. He didn't even bother trying to help Megatron. He was just there in the near end of the movie.

- Brawl aka Devastator died in a lame way. He got his ass owned by Ironhide despite the fact that Devastator is one of the toughest Decepticon member.

- Blackout got owned by bunch of aircrafts. He was my favorite transformer and he died in a most lamest way without fighting any autobots.

- Megatron showed up in last 30 mins of the movie, we only see him transform once or twice.

- Where the hell did Barricade disappear into? Did he decided to chicken out from the final battle?

- Bonecrusher died in 10 mins after he showed up.

- Starscream's big news in the next film. Plus at the end, some people say he was one of the jets that actually fired on Megatron, betraying him.

- Devastator in this movie wasn't THE Devastator, so he wasn't one of the toughest Decepticons. He was more like Blitzwing, just without the alt jet mode. In fact, Jazz pulls a "Kup" on Devastator, just like Kup does to Blitzwing in the '86 movie. Next movie's supposed to actually have the Constructicons, so we might see the real Devastator.

- At least Blackout got to royally **** up some humans in the beginning. You kinda knew that they'd have to end up paying him back.

- I've already talked about Megatron.

- Prime killed Barricade. You don't see it happen, but that's what happens. That's why Prime's late in showing up to the city. However, since it wasn't shown this might be retconned in the future.

- Movie Bonecrusher sucks, lolz. He went up against Prime, what do you expect? If you want more movie Bonecrusher, read Transformers: Ghosts of Yesterday.

I dont think Prime killed barricade? Why leave it out. All it does is raise questions. You cant simply say that the lack of Barricade in the end and Optimus showing up late automatically means that Barricade was killed by Prime...

Well, that was a relatively unmoving experience. I even went in with the most incredibly low, Micheal Bay-level expectations and just, nothing. I ended up snoozing.

I dont think Prime killed barricade? Why leave it out. All it does is raise questions. You cant simply say that the lack of Barricade in the end and Optimus showing up late automatically means that Barricade was killed by Prime...
Novelization, comics, scripts. Prime smashes Barricade against a pillar on the highway and tears him apart. Rips his doors off and everything.

I never just say things to say things. I know my shit. ;)

Everything you ever hear me say about Transformers and Half-Life, you take that as God's truth, perfect and complete.

Plus, wasn't that when Prime took out his sword and cut off Barricades head?

Yeah, right after. When you see Prime take a breather in the movie after killing Bonecrusher, and then the camera cuts away, right then Barricade jumps on Prime. And Prime grabs him and slams him into the pillar he's standing next to.

I do not know why they took that out of the movie. But like I said, since it's never shown, it might be retconned later, say in the next movie.

Yeah its pulp, but thats the way I want it. If there was ever any major dramatic or philosophical point to the Transformers I've never seen it, so making it fun was definitely the way to go.

*Sigh* Why does everybody insist on flat-out ignoring the gripes people have with this movie? It's not due to a lack of depth. We weren't expecting or wanting philosophy. We just wanted actione done well.

Opinions differ on what qualifies for satisfactory action direction, obviously. I personally think that Bay isn't even good at what he's supposed to be good at. His technique is to throw a bunch of shit onto the silver screen with pretty colors with no thought. In this case, this was further hampered by bad pacing and a bloated plot.

If you like the movie, fine. But don't act as if we, like, missed the point of it or something. I know it's supposed to be fun action. And I think it failed in that regard.

Weeeell......I don't. :D

*runs*

(Not that that first post was even directed at anyone.)

I thought it was good... was actually pretty funny. My only thing is I couldn't keep all the robots' names straight, and it doesn't help that all of them can be two different things! :p The fights being shown in the frantic ground-level view a lot didn't help either. The only real powerful 'oh shit' fight was when Prime cut a decepticon's head off.

I never watched/played with the ooooold Transformers, but I did used to watch Beast Wars and had a few of those toys. :)

I've heard they are thinking about planning to make Tidal Wave debut in next Transformer movie. But again, this is just a rumor that has been flying around from die-hard transformer fans' sites.

*Sigh* Why does everybody insist on flat-out ignoring the gripes people have with this movie? It's not due to a lack of depth. We weren't expecting or wanting philosophy. We just wanted actione done well.

Opinions differ on what qualifies for satisfactory action direction, obviously. I personally think that Bay isn't even good at what he's supposed to be good at. His technique is to throw a bunch of shit onto the silver screen with pretty colors with no thought. In this case, this was further hampered by bad pacing and a bloated plot.

If you like the movie, fine. But don't act as if we, like, missed the point of it or something. I know it's supposed to be fun action. And I think it failed in that regard.

^Everything in this post perfectly sums up why some people don't like Transformers.

Going to be seeing this so soon, i cant ****ing wait! Ill be back home soonnnnnnnnnnn...!!!

Bad and good. Moslty bad tho :/

that settles it! if Asuka says it's bad it's gotta be horrendously bad ..you like everything

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE! UNIMAGINABLE RAGE! HOW DARE YOU? HOW DARE?! YOU TAKE THAT BACK IMMEDIATELY!

That's the worst insult ever and a complete untruthitude.

why is it so an insult? it's factual ..both the go bots and the transformers were created solely as a means of selling toys ..you can throw as much "story" as you want but it doesnt change the fact that everytthing about it is made to appeal to toy buying kids ..why do you think there's so many of them? Marketing exploded in the 80's previously toy companies banked on a single action figure ..say gi-joe, big jim, or johnny west, etc. In the late 70's early 80's toy companies (seeing the huge success of star wars toys) came out with toys that were not designed around a single character (there's only so many vehicles/outfits you could buy) ..this literally ensures that toy companies can churn out toys right till the end of it's lifespan

The toys were great. What do you mean, "they never fit together how a robot should?"

fit seemlessly?

They fit perfectly.

I didnt buy them then but have purchased some for my son (not really interested) they're crap ..they fit poorly together, and they break fairly easily

I've got Hot Rod sitting right next to me. He transforms very well, thank you.

sure, give him to a kid and it doesnt last more than a few weeks ..really your opinion is meaningless here because you are not it's target audience: kids

Also, the great thing about these toys was that they were bricks...you couldn't break them if you wanted to.

nonsense ..I bought 3 of them a month ago for my son, one has a missing part, the other has a dangling leg, and one is in a landfill because after I stepped on it it broke into pieces small enough that my infant daughter could potentially choke on

Go ahead and throw them against the wall; they'll dent the wall before the toy breaks. They don't build toys like THAT anymore. And most of the Transformers toys had actual transformations, whereas most of the Gobots you just pull them apart and they're transformed. Compare the transformation of Leader-1 to Blitzwing, and then tell me they're only "slightly" better.

they're toys, they break ..gobot or whatever, give them to my son and I guarentee they'll be broken in a month ..lego doesnt break, some fisher price doesnt break, Transformers break, and very easily I might add

Plus, everyone who said the cartoon sucked...you suck. Seriously. You. Suck. Poor writing my ass, go watch "Fire in the Sky." Poor writing indeed. Watch "The Search for Alpha Trion." Watch WAR DAWN, and tell me about poor writing. Nothing in Beast Wars will ever compare to War Dawn, I'll tell you that.

ok please tell me you're kidding here ..we're not talking about freakin shakespeare here ..it's a freaking saturday morning cartoon specifically made to sell toys!!! they're about as well written as gi-joe meaning extremely poor ...it's not the simpsons, it's not the flintstones it's not even the Road Runner, it doesnt compare in any way shape or form to any of the 3 I listed ..I mean to sit there and try to convince us that it's well written is just crazy-talk

Going to be seeing this so soon, i cant ****ing wait! Ill be back home soonnnnnnnnnnn...!!!

Bad and good. Moslty bad tho :/

Asuka says it was mostly bad.

Case ****ing closed. History shall not look kindly upon this film.

Back