Trouble in Paradise Pt. 2

Icarus

Reaction score
<span align="center">
1095705497_valvevsvivendi2.jpg
[br]</span>​
Seems that things are heating up in the lawsuit between Valve and VUG.[br]
[br]
Today, Gamespot found a statement by the Vice President and deputy general counsel.
"Valve has announced that it will deliver a release candidate version of Half-Life 2 (HL2) (a game required under the 2001 SPA) to Sierra/VUG within the next few weeks. If Valve delivers a release candidate version that complies with the contract and is a Final Milestone, then VUG will have six months to release the product under the 2001 SPA. Valve is pressing VUG to release the product early within that six month window, and its representatives have made a number of public statements without our consent or concurrence that the product will be published and released to the general public in September of this year."
This means that VUG could hold off on releasing HL2 for up to six months.[br]
[br]
You can read the full article here.[br]
[br]
Keep checking this space for more updates as they become available.

If VU does that then i will be forced to put on my black hat with scull and crossbones on.

If VUG realease HL2 as soon as possible, we will be happy
If VUG puts HL2 on hold for six months, we riot :sniper:

AGHHHHHH!!!

If VUG delays this game another 6 months....it's going to be horrible :(

But I did notice a quote from Lombardi saying:

"We delivered the first release candidate last week, and hope to deliver the final version very soon,"

That makes it sound like the first RC was rejected.

this is the horrible sequel pple will be having nightmares about from now until some news on HL2 is made available either way...and probably even more nightmares if VU decides to "sit on that briefcase full of money" as my buddy Kage put in the "6 month delay" thread.. :|

there arnt enough emotion in the smiles to express my attitude toward this news.

that was the most intelligant(sp?) post ive ever written. Anyway, that would really suck, ill prob go back to the store and un-reserve the game and spend it on something else untill then. Jeeze

i have a bad feeling about this , smell like the game will be delayed once more.. :angry:

If VUG delays it a second past when it should, then I am buying through Steam.

My stomach is hurting now. Thinking/pissed about this to much.

CrazyHarij said:
Let's hope this ends the right way.

I.E:

Untitled-3-copy.gif

(sorry)
Harij, you deserve something great for that post. :D

Trouble in paradise? I don't think there was ever any paradise in this corporate relationship.

frick!! this is lame. if valve just kept things how they were then all would be right with the world. i like won. i like buying games at the shops.
i dont like steam, i dont like waiting forever for a game.
valve knew they would be stirring vug up when they came up with steam.
what did they think was gonna happen? vug would say "oh thanks, we dont like money anyway! thanks for taking the pressure off us to distribute it! contract? no we dont like that silly thing anyway."

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Wesisapie said:
frick!! this is lame. if valve just kept things how they were then all would be right with the world. i like won. i like buying games at the shops.
i dont like steam, i dont like waiting forever for a game.
valve knew they would be stirring vug up when they came up with steam.
Funny thing is that I think this recently revealed battle will probably boost sales through steam.

I wasn't going to buy through it before but I definately am now.

Wow, that's some crazy information. Vivendi needs this game. Could Valve break their contract and release it with someone else? It would probably be illegal because they signed a contract.

But still, a publisher holding onto a game to get their point across, and for money, is just sick.

Lets all go on strike, Everyone buy HL2 Of steam, If you buy it in the shop, We kill you :) :sniper:

Edit: That gives me an idea, On the day HL2 is released lets all go to our local stores and cary big signs that say Buy HL2 Off steam or we kill you, And if anyone buys it in there we will kill them :)

You could call VUG's main office (the gaming branch) in CA and complain (or yell) ;)

1-310-431-4000

While VU certainly could hold onto the goldmine known as HL2 for six months, doing so would only hurt themselves. The biggest surge in consumer purchases is during the holiday months and VU knows this. While everyone on this forum will buy the game no matter what, we only represent a small fraction of HL2's potential market. The meat of all videogame sales come from casual gamers (read: people that don't post in gaming forums), and the time when a lot of casual gamers fork out money is during the holiday season. So VU stands to lose quite a bit of money if they delay the game. And while VALVe and VU are trying to f*ck eachother over, they are still both businesses. Businesses only exist for one reason, and that reason is to make money. So I think the chance of VU delaying the game past the american holiday season is VERY slim.

Thanks for listening.

I would burn the midnight oil if thoose bastards would delay if up to 6 months and im not kidding.

Oh man I give up! Gabe please just accidentally leak the game out and I'll send ya $50 via paypal :D

they are probably going to go gold and mass produce the game and hold it in the factories until closer to holiday season (silent gold) then ship immediatly when they want... it would be smarter at least

yes what they are trying to say is they can reject RC's for up to 6 months delaying the release date. Basically its a stall tactic.

It would be smarter for vivendi to release asap, but as soon as fans start to realize what vivendi is doing. The sooner they are going to be very vocal. When you get a few million people who become very very vocal, it makes headlines. And I personally do not think vivendi wants their shady business dealings on the front pages of CNN or Fox, ABC etc. Watch the stocks after that one, heh..

GL VUg

Well, at least we're not all speculating wildly. Again.

Look, like NON1337H41 said above, they're both in business to make money, and they both want the game out as soon as possible. It's not that uncommon for companies who work together to be engaged in lawsuits with one another; it happens all the time and the work continues nonetheless. I work for a construction subcontractor, and all day long we send nasty, threatening letters to our general contractor, and they send their own back, and we scream and fight and argue and we're going to wind up in court in a few months and try to sue each other for contested expenses. And yet, every day, the building we're working on keeps getting built. Otherwise, no one gets paid.

notmydesk said:
Well, at least we're not all speculating wildly. Again.

Look, like NON1337H41 said above, they're both in business to make money, and they both want the game out as soon as possible. It's not that uncommon for companies who work together to be engaged in lawsuits with one another; it happens all the time and the work continues nonetheless. I work for a construction subcontractor, and all day long we send nasty, threatening letters to our general contractor, and they send their own back, and we scream and fight and argue and we're going to wind up in court in a few months and try to sue each other for contested expenses. And yet, every day, the building we're working on keeps getting built. Otherwise, no one gets paid.

while I understand what you are saying. You also have to understand that this is exactly what VUg did to CS:CZ, for almost 6 months.

oh bloody fecking feck!

I had a feeling the first RC got rejected, else why the CS:S update with Source engine tweaks?

I'd imagine VUG holding the game until the end of next month in order to maximize the christmas sales.

And you guys thought Novemeber was a late call! Well it will be fantastic to read the reviews for a game that comes out 6 months down the track. Hmm, no it won't. :(

Back