Trouble in Paradise Pt. 2

To be honest, all this talk of a significant delay is filling me with another September 30th-style dread. Munro's comments locking another thread in Half-Life 2's general discussion forum don't exactly fill me with confidence either.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39424

I've said it before and I'll say it again... For Half-Life 2 to have the historical impact it deserves in terms of the splash it'll make in context of gaming development, then the game needs to be out during 2004 in my view.

Stalker is a serious threat to this.

will stalker have an sdk or a modding community? the modders are the real victims in this, i know i wasted a sizable chunk of my life making stuff for hl2 mods. I don't blame vu for the delay, they weren't the ones telling us everything was just around the corner.
what about voucher holders, who gets that money? or do you think that money has been spent in production over the past year?

"what about voucher holders? who gets that money?"

Valve surely got some money from ATI after the agreement and ATI's sales were boosted, so they probably got some money out of it as well. But what difference does it make? They'll get the game when it comes out and they're at blame themselves if they didn't think this could happen.

all that's been stated is that vivendi COULD delay it up to 6 months. there's no way they'd do that though. they might delay it to december 10th to coincide with massive christmas sales, but march 2005? no way.

WaryWolf said:
all that's been stated is that vivendi COULD delay it up to 6 months. there's no way they'd do that though. they might delay it to december 10th to coincide with massive christmas sales, but march 2005? no way.

i agree, but I reckon we will see a thanks giving release... whenever that is in November... meh!!!

Not that late, what about people buying Xmas stuff now?

I think the middle of next month.

but doesn't VU make the boxes, and distribute them? so when i get my boxed version in the mail from my voucher, vu has some cost in it, so im sure they get some profit from it. This whole thing might not be a big deal, cause i bet even if you biuy the game off steam, they'll send you a boxed version you can play, so you own the manual, and the cd's, otherwise think how bad it will suck if you have to move, lose your broadband, and have to reinstall

but i do when i mail in my voucher, but the voucher said 4-6 weeks for delivery, so im gonna preload and use my voucher code, then mail it in for the boxed version :) hope that works

Something like this was probably posted here before, but I'm too lazy to read through 12 pages to find out. Anyway...

In the full article it reads:
"VUG could hold HL2 hostage for 6 months (or threaten to) if they want to force Valve to give in to demands. But Valve knows VUG needs the revenue."
Notice how the word "could" is used.
This doesn't mean Half-Life 2 will be delayed for six months, It doesn't mean it will be delayed at all. All it means is that if that the queers at Vivendi decide to be pricks and delay it, the maximum amount of time they could delay it is for six months. IF they delay it at all. But I doubt they will, because
"Valve knows VUG needs the revenue."
It would be stupid for Vivendi to delay HL2. First of all, delaying the game also delays their precious paycheck. All it would do is make them lose money. Second, the VUG headquarters would probably get stormed by a mob of angry gamers... :sniper: :naughty:

That is some plain oldfashioned common sense there, coming from someone with nice titties as a name :O

valve would deserve it if it wa held, not that they would do it, but they've delayed the production of their own games to get better positioning with publishers, turn about is fair play. you reap what you so, you use a tactic, the people you interact with think its ok to use it on you as well.

polyguns said:
but they've delayed the production of their own games to get better positioning with publishers
You filthy [ignorant] liar, you.

Sharrd Quote:
Originally Posted by polyguns
but they've delayed the production of their own games to get better positioning with publishers

Today 04:47 PM
ok man, this is where this gets funny as hell, fanbois are such a joke. What I said has been referenced many many many times in the part 1 and part 2 forums, please don't go rushing to calling people names.
here is the quote where I recieved that information, it was in the article in the first part

"Beginning in 1999, following the success of its first game, Valve began to threaten Sierra that it would halt or slow development of the remaining games it was obligated to develop unless Sierra relinquished certain rights under the 1997 agreements. Sierra eventually capitulated to these demands and, relying on misrepresentations by Valve, entered into a new software publishing agreement (SPA) with Valve in 2001.

you want the link to the full article, to make sure im not taking it out of context.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/20/news_6107712.html

wether or not you agree, if you respond intelligently, and without slamming people, it makes it less fun to prove you wrong.

please feel free to respnd to this with substance, and ou people tell me how what valve did to sierra is any different then what you think VU might do to Valve, but prolly won't? :afro:

Another thing people, don't call names over such a stupid topic as a game comming out, unless your an investor, then i could see getting that angry, or a modder putting up with the lies over the past year.
another thing Sharrd? you ever call valve Liars? cause i can make a pretty indepth post of some woppers they've told.

polyguns said:
Sharrd Quote:
Originally Posted by polyguns

Today 04:47 PM
ok man, this is where this gets funny as hell, fanbois are such a joke. What I said has been referenced many many many times in the part 1 and part 2 forums, please don't go rushing to calling people names.
here is the quote where I recieved that information, it was in the article in the first part

"Beginning in 1999, following the success of its first game, Valve began to threaten Sierra that it would halt or slow development of the remaining games it was obligated to develop unless Sierra relinquished certain rights under the 1997 agreements. Sierra eventually capitulated to these demands and, relying on misrepresentations by Valve, entered into a new software publishing agreement (SPA) with Valve in 2001.

you want the link to the full article, to make sure im not taking it out of context.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/20/news_6107712.html

wether or not you agree, if you respond intelligently, and without slamming people, it makes it less fun to prove you wrong.

please feel free to respnd to this with substance, and ou people tell me how what valve did to sierra is any different then what you think VU might do to Valve, but prolly won't? :afro:

Another thing people, don't call names over such a stupid topic as a game comming out, unless your an investor, then i could see getting that angry, or a modder putting up with the lies over the past year.
another thing Sharrd? you ever call valve Liars? cause i can make a pretty indepth post of some woppers they've told.

I suspect he probably called you ignorant because the english in your post is appauling. As for whether Valve have deliberately delayed the production of their own games is something that the court has to determine, however at this point in time is not in itself a fact.

i always thought that was the weakest and lamest thing i ever heard, you don't chat online to capitalize and double check spelling, nah, he was pissed I said that, you can tell cause he called me filthy, and a liar, so i doubt he was commenting on my spelling ;), but good try. But i had evidence for what I said
now no one is saying valve is doing that atm, they are reaming VU because people think VU will do it, ie do what valve did to sierra already.
The hl community amazes me, they are the only one where you find people so dedicated, i think they would fight you if they heard you crit valve in front of them, its completly surreal. to call another human being names because something like that is , well, nothing i would set as a goal for the day.

polyguns said:

man...this quote is from Sierra/VUG themselves...It is what THEY claim, not the proven truth or anything Valve has agreed to have been doing.

VUG has treated Valve pretty crap from the beginning. The $30 000 for half-life (was amened later yes) is only one point where you see that Sierra has tried to exploit them...I can understand that Valve isn't happy about the partnership. VUG should be licking all of Valves employees asses for even having a distribution deal with them. They make alot of money for them.

polyguns said:
i always thought that was the weakest and lamest thing i ever heard, you don't chat online to capitalize and double check spelling, nah, he was pissed I said that, you can tell cause he called me filthy, and a liar, so i doubt he was commenting on my spelling ;), but good try. But i had evidence for what I said
now no one is saying valve is doing that atm, they are reaming VU because people think VU will do it, ie do what valve did to sierra already.
The hl community amazes me, they are the only one where you find people so dedicated, i think they would fight you if they heard you crit valve in front of them, its completly surreal. to call another human being names because something like that is , well, nothing i would set as a goal for the day.

There's only one person I am actually pissed off at. You're not her.
Telling someone he/she's stupid is a whole other thing. They never delayed the game like you claimed, they only threatened to do so.

i never claimed anything, just repeating what Ive read. But Its so odd, for a year Ive seen more and more crap come from valve and the ocmmunity about hl2, there was suppose to even be some export stuff comming from valve after e3 right? i dunno, everything seems to be bullcrap, I don't honestly see how anyone can pick a side in this situation to the point of calling people names.
It's starting to become a soap opera for us all, better then wrastlin as far as entertainment value. But the Bull crap ive heard over the past year has come from valve, i can't point to one instance where VU lied to any aspect of the community. If the game was this far behind last september in production, Valve coulda ben honest, told us it could be a whole year or more, and alot of us woulda just moved on, but they allowed us to be misled, or misled us themselves, as to keep everyone hyped and thinking its around the corner.
my 2 cents , im done with this topic.
FLAME ON

polyguns said:
"Beginning in 1999, following the success of its first game, Valve began to threaten , threaten, threaten, threaten...

polyguns said:
valve would deserve it if it wa held, not that they would do it, but they've delayed the production of their own games to get better positioning with publishers

You can't possibly be unable to see how wrong you were and how foolish this makes you appear.
You seem to think I'm overreacting. I'd say you're the one overreacting, going crazy when you don't understand what I'm pointing out and fleeing from the conversation claiming that I flamed you and that VALVe and HL fans are talking "bullcrap" all the time.
The reason VU has never lied to the community is because they don't want to have anything to do with it and haven't told us anything. They know noone's going to like them anyway and just want the money. Fanbases are for devs, not publishers.

Back