Ubisoft: PC gamers are filthy pirates so **** you here's a Ghost Recon MMO instead

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
s it Thanksgiving or Groundhog day? I could have sworn it was yesterday that news emerged of a Ubisoft title not being released on PC, with anguished claims about rampant piracy being blamed.

Now it’s the turn of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and although the quotes given to PC Gamer don’t actually accuse us all of ‘bitching’, they do paint an unpleasant view of the PC gaming landscape. We’re told that Ghost Recon Online is the PC’s alternative to Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

‘Why’, you ask? Senior producer Sebastien Arnoult has the answers. Or at least, some answers. “When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95 per cent of our consumers will pirate the game.” Sigh.

Valve must be ready to go under any minute now ....any minute now ...any

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11/24/piracy-stops-ghost-recon-future-soldier-pc/

Was anyone even going to buy it in the first place?

Ubisoft: "We don't understand gaming and we don't want your money."

"because we know that 95 per cent of our consumers will pirate the game."

Well then they wouldn't be your consumers, would they? Consumer implies someone who participates in the economy.

Maybe if you didn't make bad games they wouldn't pirate it

"because we know that 95 per cent of our consumers will pirate the game."

Well then they wouldn't be your consumers, would they? Consumer implies someone who participates in the economy.

A consumer is one who consumes the goods, whether paid for or not IMO.

Wow, they're really honing their DRM to a fine art. Nobody will be able to crack it now!

In my opinion consumer = customer, therefore someone that actually payed for the product.

Then why have 2 words?

He seems to have chosen that word carefully.

Anyway, I can't remember a recent ubisoft game I liked. **** them.

The funny thing is, I reckon piracy is more common on consoles now anyway. Until console manufacturers adapt and deliver their content digitally in a steam esque way, it willbe virtually unstoppable.

In the strictest literal sense, not in the economical sense.

In the economical sense as much as any other. Consumer is the source of demand and not necessarily the person that made the purchase. A child that eats food purchased by a parent is the consumer.

A person that steals something still drives the demand for that thing, and is ultimately, the end user. The consumer.

Typical. Hl2.net thread devolves into an argument over the correct usage of one word.
Then why have 2 words?

He seems to have chosen that word carefully.

Anyway, I can't remember a recent ubisoft game I liked. **** them.

The funny thing is, I reckon piracy is more common on consoles now anyway. Until console manufacturers adapt and deliver their content digitally in a steam esque way, it willbe virtually unstoppable.

In the economical sense as much as any other. Consumer is the source of demand and not necessarily the person that made the purchase. A child that eats food purchased by a parent is the consumer.

A person that steals something still drives the demand for that thing, and is ultimately, the end user. The consumer.

Agreed. If he had said "95% of our customers will pirate the game" it wouldn't have made any sense.

Ghost Recon = shit games anyway

HEY. Ghost Recon was great up until they started numbering them.

I think Ubisoft should bring back Chessmaster. Otherwise, just stop making PC games altogether.

Future Soldier can stay the **** away from PC too. God what a mess that franchise has become.

E3 trailer looked legitimately terrible. And I enjoyed GRAW (on console).

Between this and Rainbow 6: Patriots it looks like Ubi sure has a brilliant Clancy lineup coming through in 2012. :|

They're right you know. Remember when that Steam thing launched and it went under so fast due to no one buying anything?

It's funny how they only bitch about piracy as a reason not to release games on the PC when the games in question are absolutely terrible. I don't see them not releasing Assassin's Creed games on PC because of piracy, and I doubt they'll do the same for Far Cry 3. When they're good games, PC gamers are apparently still "worth it".

Basically, they're just using piracy as an excuse for the fact that PC gamers won't buy the crappy games they pump out.

I don't see how insulting your customers or spreading falsehoods to cover the stench of their bad bad game is better than just saying "we have no plans for a port at this time." Seems like this would be inadvisable, from a PR perspective... and yet we hear it so very ****ing frequently.

This is because Ubisoft are staffed by incredibly ignorant people. The kind of people who put check-in-every-X-days DRM and always-on DRM in the same game, and then let you choose which method you want to use.

Ass Creed games are good though.

Love me some ass creed. Console games through and through, though.

It's too bad AC belongs to them. Bunch of idiots when it comes to knowing their customers and market.

What are they afraid off, losing PC sales to Piracy or losing Console sales because finding a pirated PC copy will be inevitably cheaper than purchasing a Console copy?

Make the PC version download only, that way you don't lose money through overheads such as labour/manufacture/logistics/retail and you have strigent DRM controls and anti-piracy methods in place (Something that Ubisoft has taken a step too far anyway). Isn't that the real reason anyway, that a pirated version will be played on until either the player gets bored and discards the game, or until the game hits the bargain bin, at which point the publisher gets meagre revenue takings and all the overheads cost them.

Ubisoft, classic example of corporate greed, oversight and tyranny in Amer...

They're not bad as far as milking franchises go, though. Every game is at least a re-imagining OR a large step up. I admire them for that. For console development and publishing, they're ace. It's just the way that they handle the PC platform that disgusts me.

Oh and pretty much every Clancy game since Chaos Theory.

I really, really wish someone would pick up the torch of tactical shooters that the R6 games dropped after Raven Shield. Those games left a hole that been left sorely unfilled. WON'T SOMEONE FILL THE HOLE?

Seriously, even a well done indie production would be fine. Anything... :(

I was actually wondering if any game since has filled that niche recently. I'd definitely check it out.

Somebody just needs to remake Raven Shield. I would love them forever.

Ghost Recon is a shell of its former self, and every single Tom Clancy game.

There was a time when Ubi soft/Red Storm Entertainment made good tactical shooters, now they are a bunch of suck. As for tactical shooters, would play arma, but alas I am too chicken (hardcore simulation games are not my thing).

Arma's great, but it's not Rainbow Six.

in other news, this is actually kinda fun and reminds me of what I was expecting Brink to be.

5W3Pc.jpg

enoci.jpg

6CC0N.jpg

it has a bad sniper issue though, as all new shooters games do
may also be called a good version of metal gear online without cqc

Yet pirating does not work in the same way as traditional theft in this scenario. Supply is not used up. A copy is made - illegally. Demand is not driven. There is no consumption.

Numerous fails by Ubisoft.

Your wannabe-Steam software sucks.

Your PC games lately have been rubbish ports as you're money grubbing whores like EA, flicking a finger to your roots and hitching the ***king console **nkers train. Oh god some of these companies need their heads bashing together.

So yes, we will pirate if you yourselves cant be arsed to, oh I dunno, do your jobs? Now, where did I put that AC Revelations torrent...

Back