Unleash the Hounds: Starcraft II Beta begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately about to go grab some grub. BUT AFTERWARD!

Possibly going to BlizzCon if I can get the tickets. I hope I can beat the hordes of WoW nerds that make up the bulk of the 2-second 12k queue.

Well it's not much of a Terran nerf as it looks like. Helions are rarely used by the time you get an armory. The igniter bonus is sufficient to make them a powerhouse vs light anyways... +3 bonus fully upgraded vs light isn't anything.

The thor is kind of the same in that their damage vs light with the AOE and the massive range makes them just a complete rape machine vs mutas and the handful of other light air. The 3 point they lose going to matter all that much.

The siege tank thing is going to be the most significant. That's a lot of damage. It will still melt marines and zerglings but it will matter down the road that 10 damage is gone. Siege tanks are still going to be brutal in the right hands though. The siege tank-marine-dropship combo will still be virtually invincible mid game... it will just lose a couple more marines and take a few seconds longer to beat things.

The reaper thing is interesting... I'm not sure how important it will be with Reapers being so limited early on... but I think you could have two speed reapers out pretty quick now. Its still 175 gas though so it's not going to be the fastest thing around...

I got you beat on dumbasses...

Thread Title - starcraft 2, multiplayer should be scrapped

I've played this beta for around a month now and im just dissapointed not just in the unbalanced races but the fact that the patches aren't really fixing the problems. Overall starcraft 2 just has many stupid annoying strats that don't inspire skill like the first starcraft. I believe that the game has to many problems, that they really need to redo the whole multiplayer section of the game. It's not fun, just depressing of a game.

http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14854

Remember, kids: Quality of grammar is inversely proportional to quality of opinion.

I'm sure you know all sorts of ways to properly use your colon, Ace.

Anyone else working on something in the editor while the beta is gonna be down?

I've spent a huge amount of time in it the past couple days... it's pretty powerful. I'm learning so much that I think I'm actually gonna try to get a decent map done!

So far my end-goal is an RPG-type map where you control a party against some wizard guy in the center who keeps summoning guys and doin' other wacky stuff. I had this whole WoW-style camera system about finished last night but ended up deciding against it. So I'm still just settin' up the framework, but I've got a system set up that allows both WASD movement and right-click movement for any of your guys you have selected (yes you can move more than one guy with WASD at the same time if you want... it's kinda fun haha), tab targeting that let's you select an enemy in range without losing WASD control of your guys (you can also still attack with spacebar as well), and very basic hero levels. The cool part is it's pretty much multiplayer-ready... so you could have like one player per guy or each player controlling a whole party of their own (badass).

I am proud of myself. :p Though I just finished spending about 3 hours trying to figure out how to get rid of my control-indicators (that I put above the guys you had selected before tab-targetting an enemy so you can still tell who you're controlling) when you go back to selecting your own guys. What a ****in' nightmare.

And just what the **** am I supposed to do with my life now? This is gonna feel like FOREVER.

Thankfully all the awesome people in the community are doing things for us while the break is on.

Can't wait to see what day, husky, HD and others have for us!

Yeah I saw those when I was sitting there watching the game. Was :Oing the whole time

So I've been slaving away at my mod all week, and I have -still- not gotten past getting my basic structure down! I'm getting pretty god damn good with the editor, though, and my list of triggers and variables grows impressive indeed.

Check out the UI, though:

planeswars.jpg

Yes, I've only gotten one skill done for the skill bar... summon familiar. That's the hydralisk (roach melee-tank and stealth zergling are the other choices). It's fully functional, though, down to hurting the mage on death and a leash range! And the HP bars on the side are obviously not done yet since they all say warrior. :LOL:

I'm still not sure what type of map it'll eventually become, but once I get my basics down I should be able to make a lot of different ones. I got my tab-targeting fully 16-player ready today, so I could even do a PvP one. TF2 cart-push-like-map with an ultralisk instead of a cart?! Mmmmm. Balancing nightmare, but mmmmm.

Pretty good looking thus far! When you need testers, you know where to find me :)

I don't have nearly as much interest in that because they're not korean.

I watched white people play COMPETITIVE TF2.

That was terrible.

About the Day[9] vs Tasteless showmatch:

Wow, glad to see Sean take it back from Nick. I kinda lol'd a bit at how Nick's Metalopolis strategy backfired on him in about the 4th game. There was a lot of micro mishaps, especially with all of those failed storms by Sean in the third game. Was quite nice though, the macro was obviously very good with how often units were skirmishing at that Sean's forth expo.

In SC2 he plays Random. So it was Random vs Random the whole time.

Quite epic.

Ooooh, I'll have to watch those! Will seem kinda weird to actually see a normal game again. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back