Unleash the Hounds: Starcraft II Beta begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've still been plugging away at my own creation, though my pace has slowed somewhat. I hope to have a working fight by the time the beta opens up again just to test just how bad the lag is for key press events and some other things. It's possible that it'll be almost unplayable if it's as bad as I've heard and/or Blizzard hasn't improved it. Not a huge tragedy if so... I'll just make it a cool single-player game.

I've ended up doing stuff I never thought I'd be able to do, like recreating the magic missile effect from Baldur's Gate (with the 5 arcing balls), chain lightning, the deep wound effect from Guild Wars... I just need a couple more abilities to round out a full skill bar and implement my death system before moving on to balancing some stuff and, finally, terrain and story!

My magic missile spell is also going to be in the biggest DotA remake out there at the moment. :p

Cool to see you're still at it, Letters. I'm psyched to see the finished result, remember release early and let the public do your work for you!

StarCraft II Beta – Patch 16 (version 0.19.0.15976)

The latest patch notes can always be found on the StarCraft II Beta General Discussion forum.

General

* Rally points now behave as a move command, instead of an attack move command.
* Enabled the ability to manually add a StarCraft II character friend using the player's character code. Character code is a server-assigned numerical code that is displayed within the Add Friend panel.
* Battle.net Achievements & Rewards have been updated.
* All Quick Match modes are now available: 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, and Free For All.
* All A.I. difficulties are now available for play.
* Cooperative matchmaking versus A.I. players is now available as a play mode.
* Enabled cross-game social features between World of Warcraft and StarCraft II.

Balance Changes

* ZERG
o Infestor
+ Frenzy spell removed.
+ Infested Terran spell added.
o Overseer
+ Infested Terran spell removed.
o Ultralisk
+ Now immune to stuns and mind control.

I happened to like rallies being attack move. :p This will be a lot more work! And the infested terran on the overseer was also so stupid... seriously, a gorilla would have come up with something better. 100 energy for a useless (literally) poop unit! :D:D:D:D:D:D

It looks like all the campaign models will be enabled in the editor now, which is awesome, if not just for getting rid of the annoying error box whenever I select something that had been taken out. A little strange too, though, as they were so very thorough about removing every little thing, and now they're just going ahead and enabling them before release anyway? I always thought the point was to prevent any spoilers... guess not.

Ed. The editor now needs me to log in to Battle.net to do anything, which obviously isn't possible at the moment. Shit... shit.

bnet changes arent listed it seems, but i hope they overhauled that pos

StarCraft II Beta – Patch 16 (version 0.19.0.15976)

The latest patch notes can always be found on the StarCraft II Beta General Discussion forum.

General

* Rally points now behave as a move command, instead of an attack move command.
* Enabled the ability to manually add a StarCraft II character friend using the player's character code. Character code is a server-assigned numerical code that is displayed within the Add Friend panel.
* Battle.net Achievements & Rewards have been updated.
* All Quick Match modes are now available: 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, and Free For All.
* All A.I. difficulties are now available for play.
* Cooperative matchmaking versus A.I. players is now available as a play mode.
* Enabled cross-game social features between World of Warcraft and StarCraft II.

Balance Changes

* ZERG
o Infestor
+ Frenzy spell removed.
+ Infested Terran spell added.
o Overseer
+ Infested Terran spell removed.
o Ultralisk
+ Now immune to stuns and mind control.

I happened to like rallies being attack move. :p This will be a lot more work! And the infested terran on the overseer was also so stupid... seriously, a gorilla would have come up with something better. 100 energy for a useless (literally) poop unit! :D:D:D:D:D:D

It looks like all the campaign models will be enabled in the editor now, which is awesome, if not just for getting rid of the annoying error box whenever I select something that had been taken out. A little strange too, though, as they were so very thorough about removing every little thing, and now they're just going ahead and enabling them before release anyway? I always thought the point was to prevent any spoilers... guess not.

Ed. The editor now needs me to log in to Battle.net to do anything, which obviously isn't possible at the moment. Shit... shit.

Dammit! Now I won't be able to coordinate attacks while managing my base the fatass, bronze style old fashioned way. :(

Sit tight for that crack, Letters.

Still wondering what's the deal with the infested terran. I hope they get removed as there's not much of a purpose in having them.

I really hope that the deal with having to be logged in to battle.net for the editor is just because they want to stop people from using it when the game goes retail and that it's not going to be required for the full game.

Anyways, I can't wait to be playing this again!

Oh god oh god oh god. I can't find my summer poop sock. I suddenly stopped giving a shit about the Catacylsm beta but am still willing to trade one of my SC2 accounts for one.

I'm Letters.280 ADD ADD ADD!

(Oh god damn it, they ruined so much of my shit in my map!)

Looks like only the interface is really up, and even that's half-functioning. Oh well, commence ddos!

Adding ya...

SC2 name: MCLB code: 482

looks like the crew went home without fixing shit

i guess i wont be playing for the next few days

Good thing I left it to download last night while I slept and watched Dr. Who! Tonight, though........

Well, it doesn't seem like Blizzard likes us anymore. All I wanted to do was play the campaign in English, and to be able to play in the more easier US servers, but.......

:(

I just want to play the damn game's campaign in English, you ****s. Is that so much to ask?

And to be able to touch the damn CD instead of having to download it like some barbaric Steam user.

Fine! Release the hounds! Or the bees!
Or the hounds with bees in their mouths and every time they bark they shoot bees at you!

I'm totally gonna end up buying all of the SCII games like a sucka even if I don't want to (which I do)

Holy sh...

10 days to go? Im surprised at the lack of advertising. Being Blizzard, I wouldve thought they would be pushing it harder. Hell, I still see the mohawk WoW ad now and again.

Holy sh...

10 days to go? Im surprised at the lack of advertising. Being Blizzard, I wouldve thought they would be pushing it harder. Hell, I still see the mohawk WoW ad now and again.

Prolly means they'll be pushing the date back.... or they have enough preorders to satisfy their sales desires.

edit: they did have that one commercial though... I haven't seen it since.

Or, maybe they're saving money by deliberately not advertising so much in the knowledge that anyone who's a strategy game fan knows its' release date, will probably buy it, and Blizzard will make millions while Activision sit behind them with notepads tutting as their ludicrous sales and profit expectations aren't what they wanted.

Plus theres the Starcraft elite who will buy it even if it means selling their grandmothers.

Well there won't be a delay. Some people already have a copy in their hands. As for advertising I think your average starcraft player knows it's coming.

I've only played a few matches against the AI since the beta's been back up... no one's ever on, and I'd rather play TF2 than just solo ladder. I'll likely get back into it after the official release since it'll be for keepsies then.

The campaign mode I don't really give a shit about. It'll be a nice surprise if it holds my attention past the first couple of missions. From what I saw from that thing Day9 did where he went to play the campaign, it looked awful.

they don't need to advertise
they can sell this game on renown alone

Yeah that all makes sense... but Modern Warfare 2 advertised more than any game I've seen. This doesn't even have a crappy gamestop preorder commercial. Just that one that was some CGI thrown together.

Letters we need to play tonight! I usually only get on when I see some of you guys on.

Well, it doesn't seem like Blizzard likes us anymore. All I wanted to do was play the campaign in English, and to be able to play in the more easier US servers, but.......

:(

I just want to play the damn game's campaign in English, you ****s. Is that so much to ask?

And to be able to touch the damn CD instead of having to download it like some barbaric Steam user.

What? Asian can't play campaign in English? wtf? Maybe there is an option in the released game, right? :(

Have to buy a U.S./UK copy for English, I assume. Stupid, I know.

Maybe I should get a US version and sell it on ebay to the koreans for the hundreds of dongs or wangs or whatever it is they call money.

Hm, can i ask how can i get in beta now? i have been out of Internets for a wile ...
And i dont have any game which i can tie with battle-net, lost the original starcraft cd arghh.

To be in the beta I believe you have to pre-order SC2, sign up with Battle-net, then Blizzard pick you at random to beta test, and you download the client from Battle-net with a promotion code or something that is sent to your email address if you get picked. Its luck basically.

With the release date a week away, I doubt they will be selecting anyone else.

Also it was down for ages, then they fired it up again a few weeks back was it?

And if whats been said on here is true, it seems people already have retail copies in their hands ahead of schedule. Ive always wanted that. Closest I got was midnight release of GTA4. Embarrassing standing in line in the freezing cold with drunktards staggering past asking why we were queued up on the street.

Maybe I should get a US version and sell it on ebay to the koreans for the hundreds of dongs or wangs or whatever it is they call money.

I'll seriously buy your copy for a hundred won. Or two.

Koreans are getting their own version. US version is too n00bish for them to even consider buying it.

holy shit lol

p.s. I don't want Korean robots saturating our matchmaking with their average of six trillion actions per second

TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY

since I dont want to spend that much money cuz I said that the next game Ib uy will be portal 2....

when starcraft2 releases I will put my starcraft1 cd and play,and then watch videos of starcraft2 singleplayer :(

Will SCII be averrable on steam for the Mac? I saw the commercial (pretty awesome but the way... (I think it had Optimums Prime as the narrator) it said that it was coming out for PC and Mac.

Edit: Also, will you have to pay for Battlenet access? If so... F**K you Blizzard... charging people money for what every other PC game provides for free (not counting MMO's).

I don't think any Blizzard stuff is going to be on Steam. I think Blizzard have their own download service. I don't think there's paying for Battlenet either.

Yeah Battlenet is free. Also, I don't think Blizzard will ever come to Steam simply because they love to do things their way. Their games are so popular that they don't need it - plus they're already doing downloads from battle.net. Actually, I'd rather have it on Steam since Blizzard refuses to pay for bandwidth for anything over 2mb and uses an infinitely slow P2P thing that sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back