Unleash the Hounds: Starcraft II Beta begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, you mean the Lee Jae Dong vs Lee Yeong Ho MSL finals?

Because I was at the stadium. Awesome games. Especially loved the last one.

Wha...

You....

WHERE THERE?

Goddamnit Numbers.

Living in Korea would be awesome. I can't even begin to describe how awesome it is that you guys watch competitive Starcraft instead of football or basketball.

Oh, Numbers, what are your thoughts on the Blizzard/GOMTV deal? I'm not asking if you think it will destroy e-sports or anything, just curious if your for, against, or neutral.

Living in Korea would be awesome. I can't even begin to describe how awesome it is that you guys watch competitive Starcraft instead of football or basketball.

Well, the stadium was actually a large multipurpose sports court that was transformed for the occasion. With wiring, elevating booths for the players, soundproof barriers for the two people, etc. :p

But yes, watching competitive Starcraft is actually fun. (We do watch real sports too!)

Anyway, fun event. Girls Generation clone "idol groups" came and sang before the games. I yelled to get on with the Starcraft, and was shown for a few seconds on TV, etc. Fireworks, et cetera.

Oh, Numbers, what are your thoughts on the Blizzard/GOMTV deal? I'm not asking if you think it will destroy e-sports or anything, just curious if your for, against, or neutral.

Well, to be honest, I think Blizzard is trying too hard to make me stop worshiping them. I mean, first the "one server per copy" policy, now the GOMTV deal? I mean, GOMTV doesn't even have a TV channel, for christ's sake. What'll happen to the other channels?

KeSPA is understandably furious. They even talked about making Starcraft 1 a "public resource" so that they won't have to bother with the copyrights - empty threats, of course, but still goes to see how much it bothers them.

Wow I forgot how bad Starcraft looks now. I guess it is 12 years old...

It seems like watching Starcraft in an arena would be cool, but I totally don't wanna see a couple guys hunched over a desktop. They wouldn't even need to be in the place.

I know that's what I'm saying... why do they even need to be in the room?

Part of the excitement I guess. I'd want to see the players responses to certain events in the game.

Good post Ace! I've been hoping Blizzard would do something like that resolution mod but no dice. It looks awesome and I'm going to give it a try right now.
I think this would also be excellent for spectators since you can see much more of the game.
Part of the reason it looks bad is because the guy used MS paint to compress the .jpgs... I do think that StarCraft BW still looks pretty good.

Patch 14 is out: http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?sid=5000&topicId=23094049316#17

-Some of the change notes-
Balance Changes

* PROTOSS
o Archon
+ Build time decreased from 17 to 12.

* TERRAN
o Viking
+ Ground damage decreased from 14 to 12.

* ZERG
o Infestor
+ Burrowed move speed increased from 1 to 2.
+ Peristalsis upgrade removed.

o Overlord/Overseer
+ Pneumatized Carapace cost increased from 50/50 to 100/100.

o Roach
+ Organic Carapace upgrade removed.
+ Tunneling Claws now also increases burrowed regeneration rate from 5 to 10.

o Ultralisk
+ Anabolic Synthesis upgrade removed.
+ Health increased from 450 to 500.
+ Speed increased from 2.25 to 2.9531.

Bug Fixes
* Time Expiration notices that were added for testing of the Guest Pass functionality have been removed.

Some interesting changes. 50/50 felt a little low for the Overlord speed though I never complained about it when playing as Zerg. I'm curious to see if the speed buff for the Ultralisk helps it much. It's still a little big imo.

Interesting... 3 Zerg upgrades removed, 2 of which are now just free! I don't think I ever did research that roach hive upgrade.

Once they nerfed it it wasn't all that great. Before that if the roach was burrowed it could tank 3 hydras attacking it and still have some regen to spare. Well worth it if you could micro it well.
I'm not sure what the Peristalsis upgrade was. Was that the energy? It is super useful when having Infestors if so.

The speed bonus while burrowed.

So now IT'S free. Mmmm.

*EDIT*
Well, to be honest, I think Blizzard is trying too hard to make me stop worshiping them. I mean, first the "one server per copy" policy, now the GOMTV deal? I mean, GOMTV doesn't even have a TV channel, for christ's sake. What'll happen to the other channels?

KeSPA is understandably furious. They even talked about making Starcraft 1 a "public resource" so that they won't have to bother with the copyrights - empty threats, of course, but still goes to see how much it bothers them.

GOMTV isn't going to be the only one who CAN broadcast the content, the other companies just have to go through GOM now. So instead of KeSPA having free reign to do whatever the heck they want and profit off of it, there's a bit more "fairness" with where the money goes and how it's all going down. I've got my personal opinion about KeSPA *It's not a good one :p*, but I don't see how this deal is as bad as most people are saying. Hell, I don't even see this as hurting the Pro scene at all, unless KeSPA keeps fighting it tooth and nail.

Here is a nifty video from DJWheat, Tasteless and Kennigit *From TeamLiquid* about the whole GOMTV/Blizzard thing. Haven't listened to it all yet, but from what I HAVE heard, I do like these explinations.

Here is a nifty video from DJWheat, Tasteless and Kennigit *From TeamLiquid* about the whole GOMTV/Blizzard thing. Haven't listened to it all yet, but from what I HAVE heard, I do like these explinations.
I think you forgot to include a link.

I've been practicing some games with a high rated Terran, and it is SUCH a pain.

Mech play is just too damn powerful.

NOT MY ****ING VIKINGS!!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I'll be crying... over here...

For some reason, people have this ridiculous notion that Korea is a third world country.

****ing delusional shits

For some reason, people have this ridiculous notion that Korea is a third world country.

****ing delusional shits

You seem to think that third world country = shithole.

That is not the case all the time.

I'd rather put the name 'second world' onto those mostly developed countries, but still being influenced heavily by first world nations.

Korea? The Nation with almost universal broadband connections and some of the strongest global businesses outside of the US? Doesn't seem too third world to me. Let's all eat some kimchi...

I love my Korea, and I cannot stand it when people are ignorant and believe that my motherland is a developing country like most of east asia.

Just a bit of rant, because I encounter this kind of ignorance in the states more often than I can count.

You seem to think that third world country = shithole.

That is not the case all the time.

I'd rather put the name 'second world' onto those mostly developed countries, but still being influenced heavily by first world nations.

Unfortunately, the meaning of "third world" has changed to be synonymous with a shithole and you can't really argue using the old definition of the word because it really isn't applicable in the post-Cold War era. :l

Same thing with the term "second world": I don't see how you could associate developing countries of today with the traditional term of the second world, as communism has no real major presence like it did during the Cold War.

YYEUUUSHHHHH got me blizzcon tickets

**** YOU. **** YOU **** YOU **** YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I was in 600th place, then they sold out.

I hope you ****ing burn in hell ****ing ****er.

The speed bonus while burrowed.

So now IT'S free. Mmmm.

*EDIT*

GOMTV isn't going to be the only one who CAN broadcast the content, the other companies just have to go through GOM now. So instead of KeSPA having free reign to do whatever the heck they want and profit off of it, there's a bit more "fairness" with where the money goes and how it's all going down. I've got my personal opinion about KeSPA *It's not a good one :p*, but I don't see how this deal is as bad as most people are saying. Hell, I don't even see this as hurting the Pro scene at all, unless KeSPA keeps fighting it tooth and nail.

Yeah, I don't particulary like KeSPA either. But letting GOM (which incidentally means Bear, in Korean) be the ones to decide doens't seem all that fair to me.

Also, I'm still angry at Blizzard for not giving me a key. (Of course, I've played it in PC rooms)

And yes, Korea is not a third world country. People won't think that anymore when we take over the world. Then we can all enjoy government sponsored Starcraft.

There's nothing GOM is really deciding. They are just Blizzards "spot" in Korea. I mean, MBCGames is even working with GOM now. I, personally, think it will be a bit of a slouch, but if all the companies work together finally, then everything will be good, if not better, than before.

Hmmm, going to have to see how this turns out.

StarCraft II Beta – Patch 15 (version 0.17.0.15623)

The latest patch notes can always be found at
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23094049316&sid=5000

General

Improved the system that handles initial placement and promotion/relegation between Leagues & Ladders.

Balance Changes

TERRAN

Hellion

Weapon upgrade bonus decreased from 1(+1 Light) to 1.

Reaper

Nitro Packs research cost decreased from 100/100 to 50/50.

Siege Tank

Siege Mode damage decreased from 60 to 50.

Thor

Anti-air weapon upgrade bonus decreased from 1(+1 Light) to 1.

ZERG

Brood Lord

Weapon upgrade bonus decreased from 3 to 2.

Bug Fixes

Resolved an issue with publishing maps in non-English locales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back