Unlockables, acheivments, ideas thread.

Unlockables are not upgrades. There must be a disadvantage for the advantage. Perhaps the overfix wrench would not be able to speed up the construction of buildings or requires more metal to fix the same amount of damage.

Good point the takes more metal idea seems like it would be the best bet. The whole does not speed up construction bit would kind of make the wrench useless.

I imagine we'll see more dispenser and teleporter unlocks than anything. Perhaps a dispenser that can detonate and cause damage but doesn't heal or supply ammo. It would be a wicked spy killer, and also a sort of trap to put around corners and wait for people to pass by.

But you can do that with a Demoman. Similarly, Valve wouldn't be inclined to put a spy-checker in there, because that's what the Pyro's there for.

We won't see any unlockables that diminish the need for any class.

Good point the takes more metal idea seems like it would be the best bet. The whole does not speed up construction bit would kind of make the wrench useless.
I wouldn't call healing your buildings (and especially overhealling) useless. I've always seen the build-time reduction as the secondary effect of the wrench rather than the main ability.

I imagine we'll see more dispenser and teleporter unlocks than anything. Perhaps a dispenser that can detonate and cause damage but doesn't heal or supply ammo. It would be a wicked spy killer, and also a sort of trap to put around corners and wait for people to pass by.
No. I spent some time trying to think of unlockable buildings for the engineer and I think that anything that removes the dispensor or teleporters is a bad idea as it encourages the engineer to act as a lone wolf rather than a team player, and I think this would do that. It would also piss off your entire team as they run up to it when they're on low health only to realise it's fake.

No, it wouldn't necessarily replace them. There was a "leak" of a mention of upgraded teleports which would recharge faster. I believe there was a disadvantage, but I don't recall.

An unlockable could be a disposable teleport that recharges very quickly but dies after 5 teleports, or 5 minutes.

I'm not sure how an unlockable dispenser would work, but I certainly don't think it should be out of the question.

it encourages the engineer to act as a lone wolf rather than a team player, and I think this would do that.

Seeing as how the unlocks are designed to change the playstyle of the class (giving range to pyros, giving the medic offensive capabilities) I wouldn't say it's too far out of the question. Also, an explosive dispenser is more of a defensive weapon, anyway. (I mean, what other class besides the Medic is not a lonewolf class?)

I'd like to see the engineer become more of a mobile defensive figure than a static position. Especially in maps like Hydro, Well, and Badlands where Engineers are pretty useless because of range and open areas, the Engineer could use an unlock that helped him defend more than one place (multiple level 1 sentry guns would be ideal). A shotgun that created a stasis effect (perhaps disabling enemies from capping points, or simply slowing their run speed) or some other weapon that let the engineer become more of a defensive class himself rather than relying on his sentry gun.

Seeing as how the unlocks are designed to change the playstyle of the class (giving range to pyros, giving the medic offensive capabilities) I wouldn't say it's too far out of the question. Also, an explosive dispenser is more of a defensive weapon, anyway. (I mean, what other class besides the Medic is not a lonewolf class?)

I'd like to see the engineer become more of a mobile defensive figure than a static position. Especially in maps like Hydro, Well, and Badlands where Engineers are pretty useless because of range and open areas, the Engineer could use an unlock that helped him defend more than one place (multiple level 1 sentry guns would be ideal). A shotgun that created a stasis effect (perhaps disabling enemies from capping points, or simply slowing their run speed) or some other weapon that let the engineer become more of a defensive class himself rather than relying on his sentry gun.

The range for pyro is minimal, she'll be looting for ammo all around the place.

Engie:
Gives the player the ability to build 2 level 1 turrets, however they cannot be upgraded.

The range for pyro is minimal, she'll be looting for ammo all around the place.

Please don't do that. You don't know anything, so you just look like an arrogant prick everytime you do.

Engie:
Gives the player the ability to build 2 level 1 turrets, however they cannot be upgraded.

Nah, there's little question about who would pick which. 2 level 2 sentries might be useful, however. Two level ones would be sorted with two quick rocket blasts, and you can't heal both sentries at the same time.

Please don't do that. You don't know anything, so you just look like an arrogant prick everytime you do.

On that know, calling the Pyro a 'he' also makes you an arrogant prick.

SAME WITH IT.
[/sarcasm]

Possibly the Spy could get an alternate knife that recharges your cloak meter 25% every time you perform a backstab but the new function would reduce the knife's effectiveness at non-backstab attacks.

For the demoman some sort of dynamite launcher gun that replaces the pipe bomb launcher. the dynamite launcher would have a 6 round clip and fire sticks of dynamite that explode on contact with any surface;but at the cost of the timer fuse and bouncing ability of the pipe bomb launcher.

For the scout an automatic shotgun that grants a faster rate of fire, and gets slightly better range than
the scattergun, but at the cost of a slightly longer reload time, and a 10% reduced chance of crit shots

On that know, calling the Pyro a 'he' also makes you an arrogant prick.

SAME WITH IT.
[/sarcasm]
Masculine is the default gender of the English language so as long as we don't know what gender the Pyro is, refering to him as he is correct and refering to him as she is speculation.

Masculine is the default gender of the English language so as long as we don't know what gender the Pyro is, refering to him as he is correct and refering to him as she is speculation.

Then the english language itself is a sexist prick!

Then the english language itself is a sexist prick!
Well we have to consider our options here. Using the word "it" to refer to a human is considered to be rude and inappropriate. As for the word "they", although this usage has become common in speech, it makes no grammatical sense when referring to someone in the singular. You can always use the politically correct "he or she" or "he/she" but most people agree that it sounds silly and annoying after it is used a few times. This leaves us with our default gender.

a sentry that will fire a continuous beam of laser as long as the engie is alive and/or hitting it with his wrench, but will cease fire if the engie is dead and/or not hitting it with his wrench.

Maybe it will just use up ammo extremely fast so as to make the engie hit it to keep the ammo stocked.

a sentry that will fire a continuous beam of laser as long as the engie is alive and/or hitting it with his wrench, but will cease fire if the engie is dead and/or not hitting it with his wrench.

So it's basically a gun, then :p

Well we have to consider our options here. Using the word "it" to refer to a human is considered to be rude and inappropriate. As for the word "they", although this usage has become common in speech, it makes no grammatical sense when referring to someone in the singular. You can always use the politically correct "he or she" or "he/she" but most people agree that it sounds silly and annoying after it is used a few times. This leaves us with our default gender.

I think the correct solution is to always call the Pyro the Pyro. SOLVES EVERY PROBLEM.

Possibly the Spy could get an alternate knife that recharges your cloak meter 25% every time you perform a backstab but the new function would reduce the knife's effectiveness at non-backstab attacks.

For the demoman some sort of dynamite launcher gun that replaces the pipe bomb launcher. the dynamite launcher would have a 6 round clip and fire sticks of dynamite that explode on contact with any surface;but at the cost of the timer fuse and bouncing ability of the pipe bomb launcher.

For the scout an automatic shotgun that grants a faster rate of fire, and gets slightly better range than
the scattergun, but at the cost of a slightly longer reload time, and a 10% reduced chance of crit shots

The knife is pretty damn useless outside of backstabs anyway.

I'd like to see a grenade launcher that just explodes on contact with something.

I'd say cut the damage too, the scatter gun is pretty damn powerful.

The Pyro is female. The end.

Also, I would really like it if Valve changed the medic milestones to how the pyros are. I want the ubersaw in a bad way.

Engi:
Flak cannon: shooting uses up metal instead of ammo, bullets bounce.
Sonic wrench: affects everything in an area like repears everything per hit, upgrades everything per hit, does area of effect damage as well but is slower and chews up more metal per hit.
Artillery gun: basically each upgrade gives it another cannon type gun which each shoot sepperatley when shooting at enemies.

also excuse the bad spelling i just got out of bed.

because sentry guns aren't?

They're an extension to the Engineer. Having a laser which you have to hit to fire is basically like having a laser gun you can't walk around with. Slightly silly :/

Also, I would really like it if Valve changed the medic milestones to how the pyros are. I want the ubersaw in a bad way.

Seconded... I wouldn't mind using achievement servers for my last few but I really can't be arsed to add a bunch of temporary Steam friends for the most annoying one.

Although I think it's pretty likely of Valve to change them at one point or another. It's just too reasonable.

I don't think they will, actually. It'd piss off everyone who has done it :p

And if they will, don't hang around for them ;)

I think the correct solution is to always call the Pyro the Pyro. SOLVES EVERY PROBLEM.
But we're no longer discussing just the Pyro but the English language in general.

They're an extension to the Engineer. Having a laser which you have to hit to fire is basically like having a laser gun you can't walk around with. Slightly silly :/

It would necessitate teamwork between engies, and would also make it a top priority of the other team to get rid of engies/guns, making it a distraction from pushing a cart or whatever.

On another note, an engie achievment would be to try to get a sentry to level 3 in thirty seconds. Or maybe less.

Class: Sniper
Unlock name: Eagle scope.
Replaces: Normal rifle add-on
Ability: Gives the ability to zoom-in and out with the scroll wheel, removes laser, but it takes away the charged shot. Head shot guarantees kill. (I hate how in counter strike you have to start all over again just to un-zoom some, why can they not make it so I just right clock to exit the zoomed mode and then scroll to switch guns.)

Class: Soldier
Unlock name: ?????
Replaces: Shotgun
Ability: Just a automatic gun similar to the snipers.

Class: Spy
Unlock name: Tripwire
Replaces: Cloak time reduced to 5 seconds?
Ability: You put it in a doorway, hallway, or throw at feet. If a enemy walks over it (or gets hit in feet by) trip and take a few seconds to stand back up and you have time to kill them.

Class: Heavy
Unlock name: Ammo pack
Replaces: Nothing
Ability: Adds 200 on top of the max ammo for Sasha, but it takes longer to get ready to fire Sasha.

Class: Engineer
Unlock name: 2 way tele
Replaces: Normal teleporter
Ability: The teleport can be used both ways, but takes %50 more time to recharge.

Class: Scout
Unlock name: Racket
Replaces: Bat
Ability: Can reflect projectiles, but %25 less damage to enemies.

Unlock name: Boost-up
Replaces: None
Ability: Can crouch down and then be jumped on, when he stands up he shoves the player on him into the air so they can get to high places.

Class: Demoman
Unlock name: TNT
Replaces: Stickey bombs
Ability: A pack of dynamite that can be throw, but does not stick to anything, and detonated at will or when shot by a enemy player. Kill-all damage, but can only carry 3-5 max.

Unlock name: Shield
Replaces: Teleporter
Ability: Can be turned on at any time, when turned on crates a bubble that is invincible and protects everything inside from everything outside. Only lasts 10 seconds and takes 2.5 minutes to charge +10% charge for every sentry kill, but sentry has to be within its protection bubble. Things inside can shoot out. Can be disabled by a spy once activated or destroyed from inside the bubble, destroying well activated instantly kills everything inside friend or foe.

Unlock name: Despence-o-matic
Replaces: Despencer
Ability: +10% metal for every kill made by sentry or engineer, but despences health slower.

I am bored, thanks for asking. :|

Unlock name: Boost-up
Replaces: None
Ability: Can crouch down and then be jumped on, when he stands up he shoves the player on him into the air so they can get to high places.

I like this one. It'll never happen, but would be fun and add all sorts of interesting options to attacking/defending.

For the soldier i'd like the 40% up close damage reduction for your own rockets to be returned in exchange for the ability to crit. Call it the don't **** up league play launcher. Again, this'll never happen. We're bond to get some kind of crit weapon :/

Whats the main problem with the Spy? Other than the back-stab hitbox? I find that you can't do a thing other than spy without letting the entire enemy team know your here. Why? Those little icons in your right hand. Stab someone or sap a building, and suddenly every person and their grandmother knows theres a Spy 'round here. So heres my idea for an unlockable.

• Replaces knife
    Advantages: When Backstabing someone, instead of the BS icon appearing in the kill-boxes, a random weapon apears. Any weapon in the game. (Excluding train)
    Disadvantage: Not sure. Less Cloak time? Longer BS time?

My upgrades for Engineers would be the building sentry guns on walls for more firing angles, and caltrops to slow down attackers in cramped areas.

The spy needs a fireproof suit, and complete invisibility when cloaked (no smoke or outline). They are far too easy to spot currently.

The spy needs a fireproof suit, and complete invisibility when cloaked (no smoke or outline). They are far too easy to spot currently.

I'm prety sure they are completly invisable, unless they get hurt or bump into somone.

Try swimming around with a invisible Spy and you'll see air bubbles. Of course one would obviously stand clear of water unless they're on fire.

Back