[UPDATED] The first "Steam Box" Is Called Piston, Being Shown At CES This Week

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Update: It appears the Piston is not the only Steam Box being unveiled at CES. Polygon are saying Valve will be "bringing multiple custom (hardware) prototypes" to their meetings with hardware and content developers at CES. We'll have a round-up of all the prototypes we can get information on between now and Friday, when the show closes.

Original article: Polygon has gotten a first look at Valve's Steam Box. The device, codenamed Piston, is being made in a collaboration between Xi3 and Valve and is being shown off at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. The prototype of the Piston is just about small enough to be carried in one hand and Xi3 says it will have modular components with the internal storage, for example, going up to 1 TB and it will run on Linux.

piston.jpg

The Piston is based on Xi3's X7A which has quad-core 3.2 GHz processor and an integrated graphics card that can reportedly run Crysis 2 just fine but is priced at a hefty $999. The price for the Piston is unannounced but it's possible that Valve will sell it at a loss to attract customers to the Steam brand.

ports.jpg

The demo unit shown to Xi3 has an array of ports at the back: an ethernet port, 1/8" audio in/out, SPDIF optical audio, four USB 3.0 ports, four USB 2.0 ports, four eSATAp ports, two Mini DisplayPorts and finally a hybrid DisplayPort/HDMI port.

Story and images from Polygon.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 13,607
Do we know if this is THE Steam Box? or do they plan to back boxes from multiple partners?

Do we know if this is THE Steam Box? or do they plan to back boxes from multiple partners?

I imagine the 'Steam Box' isn't a single product. Its possible Valve are working with a variety of manufacturers (nVidia included) to have Steam/Big Picture Mode placed on a variety of devices.

Ok, it's not called Steam Engine, but it's a happy medium. The name pleases me.

Also it's sexy as hell.

It sounds interesting that this platform will allow you to swap out components.
Certainly cannot wait to hear more details about it.

But it's not a cube... ._.
It's small, it's cube(ish). I think it is close enough to be a Gabe Cube. Might as well also go the full mile and say it's running on Gabuntu as well.

I would be tempted, I like how its modular, but would it void the warranty?

I would be tempted, I like how its modular, but would it void the warranty?
I really doubt it. Having a moddable warranty-friendly device is not unheard of. The Black Edition XFX video cards let you install your own cooler, and retain their lifetime warranty. Valve definitely seems like the kind of company that would adopt a similar policy of freedom.

Looks like an engine for a small car. Steam Engine?
Totally stole that from elsewhere.

Well this really throws a wrench into this news post, doesn't it?

Who do I believe?
There's a lot of different stories coming out about Valve from CES and we jumped the gun on calling this "the" Steam Box. Judging from an interview Valve gave the Verge (news post incoming) Valve are going to try and do what Google did with Android: They're making a Linux OS and trying to get a standardized set of features for a variety of Steam Boxes made by various different companies. Valve are making their own one which they haven't shown off yet and are currently going around CES talking to different hardware manufacturers and showing off their prototypes, which are nothing special and are just small PCs running Linux and Steam with Big Picture Mode and a Logitech controller.

So Piston is a Steam Box, but not Valve's Steam Box.

This is only good for those afraid to build their own custom PCs or are afraid of doing a little shopping for similar items in retail stores or online. On the plus side its small and looks easy to use

Back