[Updated] Valve Is Planning To Release Dota 2 This Summer

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
Exclusive Update: Erik Johnson, senior project leader at Valve, was kind enough to respond to my inquiry about the validity of the author's claim in the PC Gamer article. Erik confirmed to us that the plan is indeed to release Dota 2 this summer! Click the image if you want to see my initial email.

Original Post: Dota 2 will be released prior to The International 3, according to the July 2013 issue of PC Gamer.

pcgamer-85-dota2-jpg.24232
dota-2-formal-release-excerpt-jpg.24231
Dota 2 will be formally released later this summer, prior to the International tournament in August.

Also, Reddit user exitwarp, who happens to be the author of the article, reiterated that Erik Johnson told him Dota 2 would be released this summer and it would be "free for everyone." Always keep in mind, though, that valve time is unpredictable. The goal to release the game this summer could stall if they decide that it needs a few more weeks or months of extra polish, but we're confident that this is going to be a done deal.​

The International 3 will be held August 7 - 11 in Seattle.

This information and image credit goes to /u/Kakkoister.

Attachments

• dota-2-formal-release-excerpt.jpg
    dota-2-formal-release-excerpt.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 19,020
  • pcgamer-85-dota2.jpg
    pcgamer-85-dota2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 18,949
  • erik-johnson-email.png
    erik-johnson-email.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 2,404
  • erik-johnson-email-cropped.png
    erik-johnson-email-cropped.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 17,820
" that PC Gamer never cited a source for the release quote"
Uhh, yes they did. The bulk of the article is about the talks the writer had with Erik Johnson while he spent the day at the studio. His cited source is talking to Erik himself.

You're right. I've removed that statement. I originally did not put that, but someone else thought it was necessary to include that in my post so they edited it in. I think part of it though was that it was this little nugget of information in the middle of an 11-page spread, so it raised an eyebrow.

Though, in the end, I think it's nice to have an additional direct confirmation.

" that PC Gamer never cited a source for the release quote"
Uhh, yes they did. The bulk of the article is about the talks the writer had with Erik Johnson while he spent the day at the studio. His cited source is talking to Erik himself.

The point for including that comment was because the actual discussion regarding the release date itself wasn't contained within any official quote from Erik. It was only very briefly touched upon, and sounded a lot more like someone making an estimate rather than a definitive statement.

Blurring the email address is kinda pointless. It can still be read. fyi

lol, I kind of thought this was out already

Am i the only one who thinks Dota 2 is not ready yet?
There is a simpler,yet more elegant solution to this.
Dota 2 is not ready for a release yet,there are a lot of things that need to be sorted out first. I do realize that they want it to be played as much as possible, but this way they will be hurting the game and the money it will generate for them.

Simply put the game into open beta. that way it will do the thing they want it to do without hurting the game. And when it's really ready release patch 1.0 or something similar.

Am i the only one who thinks Dota 2 is not ready yet?
There is a simpler,yet more elegant solution to this.
Dota 2 is not ready for a release yet,there are a lot of things that need to be sorted out first. I do realize that they want it to be played as much as possible, but this way they will be hurting the game and the money it will generate for them.

Simply put the game into open beta. that way it will do the thing they want it to do without hurting the game. And when it's really ready release patch 1.0 or something similar.
Explain to me how that is not what they're already doing.

It's not exactly open beta, you need to buy an invite from the store for about 2 cents which may sound like nothing, but some people do have nothing, or have a friend playing it to invite you. Or alternatively do the poll and wait like 3 months or pay up $35 iirc for a beta pass.

Beta invites are freely available to anyone right now. Not by official means, but that doesn't really matter. I don't see what would significantly change by Valve making the game officially free (at this stage).

Thank god for that, I want DOTA2 out the way so they can focus on more innovative stuff

It is not in open beta(i know we all have a ton of invites,it's like the game is out, but it isn't) and a game pass will cost you 30 dollars (i can't find it anywhere atm,might be removed) which is called a starter bundle,and yes it also gives you a lot of items for heroes,but that price is too much compared to something like lol or hon,which are free.

The open beta would remove the need to purchase the bundle,or beg and nag on forums for a beta invite,while giving them the opportunity to not be guilty of the state the game is in at the moment.
When you release a game people expect to be near perfect,right?

Anyone who is interested in playing the game right now will be able to acquire a key with no difficulty. A simple google search for 'dota 2 key' returns the first result as an automated steam account bot that hands out keys simply by sending it a message.

Point being, nobody who currently wants to play Dota 2 is unable to due to the fact that the game is not 'officially' free to acquire. Thus, nothing would really change by Valve offering keys for free. Even if it did, how would that affect the game's development and state upon release? Valve already has more than enough people playing the game for the purposes of stress-testing their servers and other game updates. What would change by making keys free to get on Steam? A very minor boost in player count. How does that aid their development process in any significant way? How is what they're doing now "hurting" anything, compared to what you're suggesting?

Back