Upgrade to ValveTime.net - Planned Down Time

So do we get a new colour scheme?

New colour scheme. Completely new design. We're even moving away from vBulletin to something much better.

(Before the mass hysteria erupts, the new forum software will import every single one of you awful lot, and every single item from the cesspool you call "posts").

@Krynn (and others)

The guys approached me about designing them a logo for a revamped site which reflected more a broader view of Valves activities rather than having a Half-life central focus (which let's face it HL2.net has become over the years all but in name only). The original name was going to be Valved.net However during the process thinking about how to take the logo and turn it into an animation I thought about having a clock turn into a Valve and then revealing the site name and the guys like this idea and it seemed a natural fit to transition from Valved.net to ValveTime.net accordingly. When the site is up I'll probably make a post detailing the entire process, including showing the early concepts etc.

Apols if anyone feels aggrieved, but the point is they wanted a pro level design.

@Krynn (and others)

The guys approached me about designing them a logo for a revamped site which reflected more a broader view of Valves activities rather than having a Half-life central focus (which let's face it HL2.net has become over the years all but in name only). The original name was going to be Valved.net However during the process thinking about how to take the logo and turn it into an animation I thought about having a clock turn into a Valve and then revealing the site name and the guys like this idea and it seemed a natural fit to transition from Valved.net to ValveTime.net accordingly. When the site is up I'll probably make a post detailing the entire process, including showing the early concepts etc.

Apols if anyone feels aggrieved, but the point is they wanted a pro level design.
Actually that is not true. The name ValveTime.net was born well before the Valve-clock hybrid logo or the animation you helped us with. The old name was a placeholder which no one liked but was needed for when work started on the new site. Perhaps we will share the story of the finalised name from HL2.net staff steam chat some day soon...

After suitable censoring, of course!

Yeah I mean Valve****.net was never really a viable option... right?

Actually the name ValveTime.net was born well before the Valve-clock hybrid logo or the animation you helped us with.

Given I recall spit-balling it with Yorick when we we're working through the logo design, I'll stick with my version tbh Glenn.

hey, if we're sticking with our own made up versions of history, i invented Pi Mu Rho.

And I invented you.

Say hi to your Mum for me :eek:

The HL2.net family tree is getting pretty confusing. I had a dream before where Glenn turned out to be my cousin (is it a sign?)

The HL2.net family tree is getting pretty confusing. I had a dream before where Glenn turned out to be my cousin (is it a sign?)
It's more of a HL2.net Family Bowl of Spaghetti. All intertwined and twisted.

So who vetoed biozeminadelife2.net?

HammerTime was my first thought. I was the only one who thought that though. ¬_¬

A new design. Maybe I'll finally update my avatar since the smoke feathering was originally designed for the khaki-colored theme of when I joined ... HOW ABOUT NOPE.

So who vetoed biozeminadelife2.net?
Shhhh ...

At least then the site would have the power to look good.

Well I have been persuaded to put in my two cents and I don't care if I get death threats or trolled by posting again on this "community" fan site for Valve. Regardless of how I view this site I personally like the name "halflife2.net" and wish for it to remain that way. Since I visited the site in 2003 it has always been that way. In my opinion it would hurt the site by changing the name because everybody knows the #1 source for all things Valve is halflife2.net or hl2.net. It's the exact same place where Gabe Newell posted about the HL2 leak and asked the community for help. Even CNN reported about our site.

Changing the site name to a parody of Valve by using Valvetime.net is a direct contradiction to what this site stands for. The motto for the website I noticed was "valve news...on time...sometimes". That tells me that the new halflife2.net will most likely not have the latest news and I should look elsewhere for the latest news from Valve. It almost reads as "valve news...reported about...when we care about it". The current logo I like and the new one but it needs more colors in my opinion.

Well I have been persuaded to put in my two cents and I don't care if I get death threats or trolled by posting again on this "community" fan site for Valve. Regardless of how I view this site I personally like the name "halflife2.net" and wish for it to remain that way. Since I visited the site in 2003 it has always been that way. In my opinion it would hurt the site by changing the name because everybody knows the #1 source for all things Valve is halflife2.net or hl2.net. It's the exact same place where Gabe Newell posted about the HL2 leak and asked the community for help. Even CNN reported about our site.

Changing the site name to a parody of Valve by using Valvetime.net is a direct contradiction to what this site stands for. The motto for the website I noticed was "valve news...on time...sometimes". That tells me that the new halflife2.net will most likely not have the latest news and I should look elsewhere for the latest news from Valve. It almost reads as "valve news...reported about...when we care about it". The current logo I like and the new one but it needs more colors in my opinion.

hmmmmm...

direct contradiction to what this site stands for
What the site stands for isn't really defined by you. What we are, and have been for a very long time, is a Valve news site. Which is what Valvetime.net will continue to be. However, we took your feelings into account and put it to a vote amongst the staff - switch to the new domain and new site that we've spent months working on, or stick with what we've got...

*drum roll*

...and you lost! Sorry about that.

So what happens if Valve starts releasing finished products on their scheduled dates, and the term "Valve Time" becomes a thing for only the oldest of fans to look back upon nostalgically?

Well that's my case for gabesarmy.net

hmmmmm...

What the site stands for isn't really defined by you. What we are, and have been for a very long time, is a Valve news site. Which is what Valvetime.net will continue to be. However, we took your feelings into account and put it to a vote amongst the staff - switch to the new domain and new site that we've spent months working on, or stick with what we've got...

*drum roll*

...and you lost! Sorry about that.
My favorite part is where you didn't even consider asking us!

My favorite part is where you didn't even consider asking us!

But what you don't understand is that what we are isn't defined by you. We're a news site, not a community. The primary reason people come to this site is for the semiannual valve-related news. I mean, most people dont even check the off-topic forums, the majority of the content on this site is valve related and thusly posted in the on-topic forums, not just a bunch of people talking with each other about non-valve stuff in the lounge or whatever. Its those many, many people that this site is for, not presumptuous dillwagons like yourself.

If we don't like it we can take our business elsewhere. Right? Is that what they say next?

So what happens if Valve starts releasing finished products on their scheduled dates, and the term "Valve Time" becomes a thing for only the oldest of fans to look back upon nostalgically?

Well that's my case for gabesarmy.net
It's 'Valve time' in terms of being fashionably late for the more dedicated fans. But otherwise, it's the time and place...for Valve to everyone else. Take whichever meaning you wish!

forum names and posts will be transferred over
this doesn't affect anything I give a shit about

0dmRI.jpg

It's 'Valve time' in terms of being fashionably late for the more dedicated fans. But otherwise, it's the time and place...for Valve to everyone else. Take whichever meaning you wish!

I'd like for it to mean that we'll need to brainstorm some new puns and word plays and nothing more.

But what you don't understand is that what we are isn't defined by you. We're a news site, not a community. The primary reason people come to this site is for the semiannual valve-related news. I mean, most people dont even check the off-topic forums, the majority of the content on this site is valve related and thusly posted in the on-topic forums, not just a bunch of people talking with each other about non-valve stuff in the lounge or whatever. Its those many, many people that this site is for, not presumptuous dillwagons like yourself.

While change is defiantly the root of ALL evil, I have to agree with this.
For people who come here a lot the name doesn't really define anything about the site because you remember the content not the name. I get people asking my why I'm looking at a site for such an old game all the time at uni and it's for those people that the name is most important. You want them to see the name and think that it might contain something relevant to what's happening now rather than a really old game.
Having said that Valetime.net would not have been my choice :S

No matter what the situation, there will always be people who are resistant to change. The "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type. Well, with that attitude there would never be any progress or innovation.

I for one embrace the change. The new name is far more representative of the site's current purpose and activities. Why keep the site named hl2.net when only maybe 5% of the news content is related to HL2. The vast majority is about new releases on Steam, and updates on Valves latest projects.

I don't get why people think it's a bad name either? I think valvetime.net is quite catchy. Good work. :thumbs:

Side note: Despite my account saying I've only been a member since January, I've been a regular visitor since hl2.net first launched. I assume my old account was deleted because of inactivity, or maybe I just forgot what my username was. I've only just bothered to sign up again.

For a few moments there I thought Half-Life 3 would be announced (because of the "Unforeseen Consequences" bit)....... ah well.

Back