US Government to SHUT DOWN

Sulkdodds

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Apparently this is a thing that happens sometimes. I had no idea.

The White House is drawing up detailed plans to shut down the federal government from Saturday that would suspend an estimated 800,000 employees and disrupt hundreds of services ranging from processing of tax returns to the closure of national parks, senior Obama administration officials said.

The shutdown will begin at midnight on Friday unless the Democrats and Republicans compromise over this year's budget, part of an ideological battle being waged over the size of the federal government and the soaring national debt.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/06/us-government-shutdown-looms-budget

In essence the Republicans are demanding more and more federal budget cuts which the Democrats refuse to accept on top of the ones they have already agreed to. In the absence of a budget deal, they'll just...shut down the government? That's kind of badass. "Oh, you want a small state? You want no state 'interference'? See how much fun it is."

I for one welcome our new shut down government overlords.

I'm willing to bet a Gov't shutdown will cost the US taxpayers billions.

New York State Gov't took forever to pass our budget too.

Let's invade the White House AND TAKE AMERICA FOR OURSELVES.

If I understand correctly, Senators and Congressmen (not their staff) are still paid during a shutdown, but soldiers are not.

VIVA LE REVOLUTION

Or something like that. All the politicians shouldn't accept pay during this time though, pretty ridiculous if they do.

I guess this is a more extreme version of suspending parliament.

Thirteen posts in and still no Madagascar comic? I am disappoint.

If I understand correctly, Senators and Congressmen (not their staff) are still paid during a shutdown, but soldiers are not.

Soldiers will definitely get paid, and Congress probably won't. It's not a certain thing, but they never really let shitsack stupid things like that happen.

Soldiers will definitely get paid, and Congress probably won't. It's not a certain thing, but they never really let shitsack stupid things like that happen.
Soldiers get paid... half of what they should get, if the shutdown lasts until the 15th.
Clicky.

Military personnel would continue to earn pay, but they won't get paychecks until there is a budget agreement and government operations resume. They would receive one-week's pay instead of two in their next paycheck if the government closes.

I better stock up on subsidized condoms while I still can.

What the ****? Soldiers fighting and dying in Afganistan are going to get their pay halted? What about their Dependants?

I have a feeling that the Republicans, don't give a shit about them.

lol like when they send them to die in pointless wars?

Not today.

Washington (CNN) -- Democrats and Republicans narrowly averted a partial shutdown of the federal government Friday night, agreeing on a budget deal and a short-term funding extension little more than an hour before the clock struck midnight and time ran out.

The new funding extension, which cuts spending by $2 billion, will last through next Thursday.

"The government will be open for business," President Barack Obama said.

derp-derp-sonic-lol-4chan-b-demotivational-poster-1229975792.jpg

Total Relevance

I usually try to understand the opposite side, because there's two sides to everything you know? But I am really having trouble understanding the GOP lately. It's never been easy, but goddamn it is near impossible now. Like, I just don't get it.

The left-right paradigm is a bunch of bullshit. It's all the same scam, all bow down to the corporations.

That's a given with so many political maneuvers today. I'm just wondering if the GOP has a game plan beyond being obstinate cocksucks over everything.

Or maybe I'm a little bit envious of Republicans since their party seems to show so much more backbone (despite how misguided) than Democrats do.

Right-wing politics has always been more pragmatic than left. I'm not sure you can say that the latter are more ideologically driven - I mean, the 'small state' is pretty explicit ideology - but I'm sure that this is why, generally speaking, right wing politicians fare better in terms of solidarity, and the left tends to splinter.

The democrats are spineless cowards, and the republicans know that, the more unreasonable they are, the more the democrats will cave in to their agenda.

Yeah, because Democrats never vote for declarations of war...

you mean like how they voted to go to war based on bogus information given to them by the bush administration?

Back