Obama admin proposes cuts to heading aid

Matorbogl

Reaction score
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama wants to cut $2.5 billion from a $5 billion home heating aid program for the poor, two people familiar with his 2012 budget proposal said Wednesday, halving the popular fund as he looks for places to rein in federal spending.

The proposal would cut the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program to its 2008 level of about $2.5 billion.

The individuals, including a congressional aide who was briefed on the proposal, discussed the details on condition of anonymity because Obama's spending plan has not been issued. It was being released on Monday, and covers the budget year beginning Oct. 1.

Separately, House Republicans on Wednesday outlined a plan for $35 billion in immediate spending cuts that would practically eliminate the program's contingency fund, cutting it by $400 million. The fund totaled $490 million, according to the program's website.

Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., urged Obama not to cut the funding. He said more than 3 million families would lose assistance.

"I've always supported serious efforts to restore fiscal sanity, but in the middle of a brutal, even historic, New England winter, home heating assistance is more critical than ever to the health and welfare of millions of Americans, especially senior citizens," Kerry said.

Obama has said tough choices must be made about how to spend scarce federal dollars to rein in spending and reduce the budget deficit and the nation's mounting debt.

The spending proposal was first reported by National Journal.

The association of state officials who administer the heating program says the number of households needing help paying energy bills is expected to hit a record high this year for the third straight year.

The National Energy Assistance Directors' Association opposes any program cuts. It says the number is expected to climb to 8.9 million households, up from 8.3 million last year and 7.7 million the year before. The association blames the increases on the weak economy and continued high energy prices.
Link to article

Obama has said tough choices must be made about how to spend scarce federal dollars to rein in spending and reduce the budget deficit and the nation's mounting debt.

I vomited in my mouth a little bit. Save pennies by slashing a program that provides heat to the elderly and poor but give the top 2% 800 billion in unnecessary tax cuts while escalating in Afghanistan.

I hope all this shit doesn't go hand-in-hand with those Death Panels I was hearing about months ago.

"We either deny this old lady healthcare and let her die or we fire 10 teachers to cover the cost", as Bill Gates suggested.

I'm just laughing because people thought Obama would Change(TM) a damn thing. The last president we had who actually understood how money works was Bill Clinton. I'd vote for anyone, regardless of affiliation, if I knew 100% that he'd fix the budget.

It doesn't matter which wing you choose, the flight-plan stays the same.

Good lord this is going to cause a stir.

Haha oh man. Everyone seems to agree that the defense budget is overblown, but lets cut heating aid for the poor.

but give the top 2% 800 billion in unnecessary tax cuts while escalating in Afghanistan.

Well... the first one was the opposite of what he wanted. If republicans had let the tax cuts expire, Obama might not have suggested this cut.

Considering the war in Afghanistan costs something like 3.5 billion dollars A MONTH, I don't see why we wouldn't cut down a little there over the year, to save the lives of people here. But of course, that wont happen because of war profiteering companies not wanting it, and our government is run by such companies.

Krynn! You only now need to find out that these company CEOs are usually related by blood to each other and working for off-shore banking cartel agendas and you would be as "Crazy" as I am.

Its a hard choice. Be ignorant, or be like Danimal. The decision will require many years of contemplation.

Well, to me, you're half-Danimal. <3

Half full of shit.

What a stupid ****ing thing to cut, honestly. Why can't you cut ****ing things that don't have such an incredible impact negatively on peoples lives? Like shaving 2.5 billion off the defense budget.

The right wing will probably get a kick out of supporting this. Poor people don't need the government holding them up by their bootstraps, they need to do it themselves!

Bad move Obama.

Obama is heading in the wrong direction with this heating bill. Get it? I made a play on your misspelled title!

Well... the first one was the opposite of what he wanted. If republicans had let the tax cuts expire, Obama might not have suggested this cut.

I don't think it was the opposite of what he wanted, if he didn't want tax cuts for the rich he would have fought against them. He chose not to.

I don't think it was the opposite of what he wanted, if he didn't want tax cuts for the rich he would have fought against them. He chose not to.

I'm pretty sure he went along with the extension as a show of bipartisanship, and to gain favor with republicans who wanted it. Probably an effort to try an gain support for something else.

I agree with you on the first sentence, not the second. This president has a complex with trying to get republicans to like him. He will bend over time and time again to get them to like him. But I don't buy the idea that this is some jedi chess move to try and get support for some of his other policies. It's clearly not. Because he has been playing this game ever since he came in to office and it has resulted in the same thing everytime (him giving in to republicans on just about every issue while they refuse to give in on just about anything). Also, if you were using something like the tax cuts as a bargaining chip you don't come out the gate saying that you will extend all taxes if you can't get any extended.

Back