US to execute Nobel Peace prize nominee

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
"A US judge signed a death warrant for a former street gangster and convicted killer who went on to be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts in tackling youth violence....

...He was convicted and sentenced to death for committing four 1979 murders, but he has consistently maintained his innocence.

Williams, who presented an alibi for his whereabouts at the time of the killings, argued in his appeal that Los Angeles County prosecutors had engaged in racial discrimination by seeking to keep black people off his trial jury."

source

only the governator Ah-nold can intervene and save his life

seems to me that 24 years is too long to wait for justice to be served ..to execute a man who maintains his innocence, has served the last 24 years behind bars and has been rehabilitated to the point of being nominated for a nobel peace prize deserves a second chance

Someone should stop this, the guy obviously bettered his life :/

24 years on death row...what's the point? He's almost served a life sentence anyway by the sounds of it...

Well, he was tried by a jury, found guilty, and sentenced to death. If Arnold wants to stay/pardon the execution, that's fine, but the fact remains that he was found guilty of murdering four people. Unless the families of those people think he should be pardoned I don;t think he should be.

Icarusintel said:
Well, he was tried by a jury, found guilty, and sentenced to death. If Arnold wants to stay/pardon the execution, that's fine, but the fact remains that he was found guilty of murdering four people. Unless the families of those people think he should be pardoned I don;t think he should be.

if they're still alive ....26 years have passed since the murders ..he's done his time, to kill him now is useless and proves to the public that rehabilitation is meaningless in the eyes of the law

this guy permanently took someone elses rights away...why should he have any?

if I kill someone (illegally) guess what? I just forfeited all my rights..bye bye all gone

unless there is proof he didn't do it..besides the "racial" motivations of the cops... why glorify the criminal?

why allow someone in prison the ability to receive the Nobel in the first place?

oh wait...controversy! lets get people to argue over some off the wall thing instead of whats important...

I don't know if you realize or count this: but he's the co-founder of L.A.'s Crips gang.

Now executing him can either send a iron-fisted message to gang violence, or incite more violence in retaliation.

From wikipedia, it is almost of note that he negotiated a peace between the Crips and the Bloods (their largest rival) recently.

Javert said:
Now executing him can either send a iron-fisted message to gang violence, or incite more violence in retaliation.

not likely ..he hasnt been a member for decades

that doesnt matter imo. If you kill someone then you must pay for it no matter how long agao the murder was

but thats just my opinion.

You said he won the nobel prize in the title as if that mattered.

The Article said:
ut since receiving his death sentence, Williams, 51, has renounced his gang past, penned children's books, been the subject of a television movie starring Jamie Foxx and been nominated for the world's top peace prize.

"The Stanley Williams case is about a man who has done what I think is the most important thing a man can do in this country, and that is reach out to the youth of this country with books, with tapes ...," Williams lawyer, Peter Fleming, said outside the courtroom.
He's been fighting for 24 years to prevent exactly what happened to him... If that doesn't show remorse, I don't know what does.

ríomhaire said:
You said he won the nobel prize in the title as if that mattered.
Well it can certainly be called a mitigating factor.

I'd have a more definite opinion on this if there wasn't that inference of shady dealings in the trial. Anyone know what thats in reference to?

You can't kill people and then do good to get out of it. He gets what he deserves. Btw, everyone in prison is innocent. Its the white man keeping them down.:stare:

why should his life be saved if he offed 4 people? because he has some stupid bronze medal? whoopdee****ing do, i have a nobel prize i can go on a killing spree. please. let him rot for his crimes. he founded one of the biggest gangs in america and lead it to commit far worse crimes than he did. he should have been killed years ago. "rehabilitated". ha.

gh0st said:
why should his life be saved if he offed 4 people? because he has some stupid bronze medal? whoopdee****ing do, i have a nobel prize i can go on a killing spree. please. let him rot for his crimes. he founded one of the biggest gangs in america and lead it to commit far worse crimes than he did. he should have been killed years ago. "rehabilitated". ha.

sigh ...I wish you guys would take the time to read the 1st post, or even the title of the thread for that matter:

"US to execute Nobel Peace prize nominee"

Milkman said:
You can't kill people and then do good to get out of it.

so is prison about meteing out punishment or is about rehabilitation? ..because you dont seem to have room for the latter. Why put them in jail in the first place? why not just kill every single person committed of a crime ...there'd be no politicians that's fer sure

Milkman said:
He gets what he deserves. Btw, everyone in prison is innocent. Its the white man keeping them down.:stare:

so you're saying there's not one innocent person in prison? well you're sorta right

Wow nice thread title...boy you really do love stirring up some s*** stern...yes the us government is so horrible they want to kill a Nobel Peace prize nominee, oh wait lets forget the fact that he killed 4 people and also like gh0st said

gh0st said:
he founded one of the biggest gangs in america and lead it to commit far worse crimes than he did.

Zeus said:
Wow nice thread title...boy you really do love stirring up some s*** stern...yes the us government is so horrible they want to kill a Nobel Peace prize nominee, oh wait lets forget the fact that he killed 4 people and also like gh0st said

wtf? I'm getting tired of you knee-jerk reactionists jumping the gun without having bothered to read what the thread is about

jesus ****ing christ is it too much to ask to READ THE BLOODY LINKS:

the title of the article that's linked in the first post:

"US judge sets December date to execute Nobel Peace Prize nominee"

I just freakin shortened it

"US to execute Nobel Peace Prize nominee"

Even if he truly is guilty, it seems illogical and counter-productive to execute him. Leave him in jail if you must, but executing him would counter-act much of the work he has done. He has worked hard to keep children from turning to the life he led, hard enough for him to be deserving of a peace prize nomination. So if he is executed, what does that say to all of the people he has undoubtedly influenced? That it is pointless to change your life. He is the epitome of rehabilitation, and what does he get for changing his life and becoming a benefit to society? Death.

CptStern said:
so is prison about meteing out punishment or is about rehabilitation? ..because you dont seem to have room for the latter.
I think we are talking about two things here. I am talking about Capital Punishment, in which rehabilitation = death, society has deemed that certain crimes are not forgivible and the criminal has forfieted their social contract. Not all crimes are like this, and I would like to think that rehabilitation is possible, but there is a very large percentage of people in the US prision system who are repeat offenders.

CptStern said:
Why put them in jail in the first place? why not just kill every single person committed of a crime ...there'd be no politicians that's fer sure
That was not very intelligent stern, I don't know where you saw a "kill 'em all" mentality in my post.
There will always be politicians, always. One dies another takes his place, and not all of them are evil.

CptStern said:
so you're saying there's not one innocent person in prison? well you're sorta right
I never said ANYTHING about there being no innocents in prision. NO major system run by humans is perfect. We can only hope that the system of appeals filters out the innocent ones.

Let's also remember that Arafat recieved the Nobel Peace prize.

Pajari said:
Let's also remember that Arafat recieved the Nobel Peace prize.
that's a good point, i'd forgotten about that

i'd personally like death by firing squad if i was gonna get executed

Milkman said:
I think we are talking about two things here. I am talking about Capital Punishment, in which rehabilitation = death, society has deemed that certain crimes are not forgivible and the criminal has forfieted their social contract. Not all crimes are like this, and I would like to think that rehabilitation is possible, but there is a very large percentage of people in the US prision system who are repeat offenders.

but if there ever was a case for clemecy this is it ..he couldnt be any more rehabilitated if he tried ..he was nominated (for those who havent been paying attention) for a peace prize

Milkman said:
That was not very intelligent stern, I don't know where you saw a "kill 'em all" mentality in my post.
There will always be politicians, always. One dies another takes his place, and not all of them are evil.

dont get all serious on me now especially after making this flippant remark:

Milkman said:
Btw, everyone in prison is innocent. Its the white man keeping them down. :upstare:

Milkman said:
I never said ANYTHING about there being no innocents in prision. NO major system run by humans is perfect. We can only hope that the system of appeals filters out the innocent ones.

yet in this case you have no doubt the person is guilty and should be punished despite having served 24 years in prison and being nominated for a nobel prize (which in iteself only goes to provide proof that he has been rehabilitated)

let him rot in jail if he doesnt have a case for a retrial, but to excute him now after 24 years is pointless

staticprimer said:
Even if he truly is guilty, it seems illogical and counter-productive to execute him. Leave him in jail if you must, but executing him would counter-act much of the work he has done. He has worked hard to keep children from turning to the life he led, hard enough for him to be deserving of a peace prize nomination. So if he is executed, what does that say to all of the people he has undoubtedly influenced? That it is pointless to change your life. He is the epitome of rehabilitation, and what does he get for changing his life and becoming a benefit to society? Death.

QFT

Stole the words from my mouth.

CptStern said:
yet in this case you have no doubt the person is guilty and should be punished despite having served 24 years in prison and being nominated for a nobel prize (which in iteself only goes to provide proof that he has been rehabilitated)
Nobel peace prize or not, do the crime, do the time (or in this case, do the death)
I am not 100% sure if hes guilty, but I have faith in the system. The only reason some seem to have any doubt about his guilt is because he did so much sucking up to make amends. Killers can feel remorse, just because they try to make amends doesn't mean they should escape punishment for what they have done. If he was just another uneducated gang banger noone would care if he was going to be executed after 24 years on death row.

CptStern said:
let him rot in jail if he doesnt have a case for a retrial, but to excute him now after 24 years is pointless
Personally, I agree with you that he should just keel over from old age, I hear that executions are quite expensive anyhow, but on principle I have to disagree. Justice has to be carried out, people have waited longer to be executed but it will be done.

Milkman said:
dont get all serious on me now especially after making this flippant remark
Fine, we are 1 for 1 on smartass comments, lets not do it again. *punishes self

Milkman said:
Personally, I agree with you that he should just keel over from old age, I hear that executions are quite expensive anyhow, but on principle I have to disagree. Justice has to be carried out, people have waited longer to be executed but it will be done.

It is wrong to take anyone's life. He learned that over his years in jail, but that doesn't make what he did right.

Neither does taking away his life, that makes the people in charge of that no better than he was BEFORE he was rehabilitated.

[sarcasm]
Capital Punishment's flawed logic FTW
[/sarcasm]

Not to mention that he might not even have done it, you dont know, I don't know, not even the court system knows, only he does, whether or not he's lying is a differen't story.

EDIT: ROFL the Sarcasm tags are actually something now oh man that's classic

theres a reason why he was only nominated stern. he's a vicious killing animal and you are blaming the US government for killing societies delinquents. gg.

gh0st said:
theres a reason why he was only nominated stern. he's a vicious killing animal and you are blaming the US government for killing societies delinquents. gg.

You fail to make the distinction between the past and present, ignoring any questionable legal aspect. gg

gh0st said:
he's a vicious killing animal and you are blaming the US government for killing societies (supposed -mrwhite edit) delinquents. gg.

GG. GG.

gh0st said:

He was a vicious killing animal before he changed. He was nominated for his acts after he changed. What possible good could come from his execution?

If he's it's been determined he's guilty and hasn't been able to prove otherwise he should be put to death as planned. They could use a firng squad for all I care. Oh and if he is guilty yet he has never accepted responsibilty by admitting to it then he has not been rehabilitated in any way shape or form. In that scenario he has simply gotten older.

If he has a valid reason to appeal then he will be successful. Most likely he is just throwing out the race card as a desperate last attempt.

staticprimer said:
He was a vicious killing animal before he changed. He was nominated for his acts after he changed. What possible good could come from his execution?

It doesn't matter what he is like now. It's justice. He can't undo anything no matter how much of a good boy he is now. Furthermore, the justice system was not created so that "good" will be the result. That is not the purpose nor should it be.

gh0st said:
Wow, i didn't think you could get any stupider. But you surprise me everytime you make a new post in the political forum.

Back