Valve Announces DOTA 2

Nice try.

You get access to everything in LoL except skins (FLAVOUR) without paying a cent. LoL is 100% free as long as you don't want hats.

As long as you have a friend's WC3 CD key, you can play DotA on lan for free, thus making each individual copy cost like $2.

And what does DotA's graphics have to do with its (lack of) price?

Well in HoN you get skins and stuff for free cause of the modding :p. How many hours does it take to get access to everything in LoL then? I assume it takes quite a while because otherwise using microtransactions to generate money wouldn't be very successful. In HoN you get access to everything the moment you buy it.
Isn't sharing the CD-key about as legal as pirating it in the first place? Also then you can only play with your friends which is fine if that's all you want to do. HoN has a good system for finding people around the same skill level as you and you can reconnect if you get disconnected and it has leaver protection etc. etc. there are many small features which make it much more enjoyable than DotA for a mere $30 (I have played both DotA and HoN...). The thing about DotA's graphics was that I was trying to justify the cost of HoN. Even the engine upgrade from DotA to HoN would be worth the money (which is a big selling point for DotA 2, the upgraded engine).

What this boils down to though is not HoN vs LoL vs DotA but rather the-normal-way-of-paying-for-a-game vs microtransactions. I guess we just have different opinions on that because I dislike microtransactions.

But you buy HoN for the Dota rehash. You don't buy Warcraft 3 for Dota(I hope). It's an addition that was free. Good for some, a waste of space on the custom game list for others.

Never played it. Thought I never heard of it either, until a friend reminded me that he's told me on a number of occasions.
I can't say I like or dislike it yet, but I am excited, mainly because Valve are involved. I will definitely give it a try, and I
expect interesting, new gameplay.

I am excited for this. I enjoyed playing DotA but latency due to WC3's terrible net code made it too much of a bother when I could play HoN beta for free.
LoL is a joke as far as balance is concerned, not to mention all the micro transactions, etc.

I also would have liked to see a futuristic Sci-fi setting for this and a few new features but over all it sounds like it's going to be good. I just hope that there will be more variation when it comes to maps, as the same map(x?) gets boring but nobody else likes to try out new things.

LoL is a joke as far as balance is concerned, not to mention all the micro transactions, etc.
But consider why that is: the LoL designers are intentionally trying to make a game that has different balance than DotA. DotA has had years and years to be balanced, while HoN and DotA 2 have the ease of just copy pasting those refinements. LoL sets out to have a different emphasis than the passive gameplay elements in DotA, and especially to reduce the Godlike importance of DPS. I am by no means celebrating Riot's approach to their game, but I appreciate that they are at least trying to change up the gameplay, while making the game free, considering how much more work it is to design new characters and an entirely new metagame.

very true. I'd say about 80-90% of the heroes in LoL are pretty well balanced. What determines the winners of the game is team cooperation, individual skill, and team composition, in that order.

This game's probably going to be great one way or another, that's just the nature of Valve.

My problem is: Valve as a company has a huge freaking problem with creativity. They latch on to good ideas made by other people and pump out sequels covered in Valve Polish™, and haven't made a truly original product in 10 years. At least they treat their employees better than Activision does, I hope.

Well, I'm happy for DOTA fans. But this doesn't affect me at all, so yeah, bit of a 'who cares?' attitude from me.

Do you think this counts as one of VALVe's three big surprises?

So..... Valve have not finished Ep3 because the entire company has been addicted to playing DOTA. Then someone decided it would be a good idea to swallow it up, so they can be addicted to their own DOTA. That's my theory. I wish DOTA had never been made :(

Why would they release this game when there are already two perfectly good versions of "DOTA" out there to fill the gap. I cant imagine they hope to attract enough people to justify this as anything but a cash grab...

Does Valve not understand what the word 'surprise' means? It means an unexpected occurrence.
Who said this was one of the surprises?

An interesting tid bit from the Reddit thread

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/dqr65/valves_new_game_announced_detailed_dota_2/c127cpl
http://icefrogtruth.blogspot.com/

Edit - the wrathofgod poster isn't actually the employee, he's just posting it in case the blog gets taken down.
Interesting. An eye should be kept on this.

It boggles the mind to think anyone would take that blog seriously! It's the biggest load of playground bollocks I have seen all week.

The moment you read something that starts with the line, "I am an employee of.." you can pretty much guarentee it is fake before reading any further.

It is clearly written from the POV of a frustrated and nieve gamer, who has based his entire life experience on shit he has seen on television.

This game's probably going to be great one way or another, that's just the nature of Valve.

My problem is: Valve as a company has a huge freaking problem with creativity. They latch on to good ideas made by other people and pump out sequels covered in Valve Polish™, and haven't made a truly original product in 10 years. At least they treat their employees better than Activision does, I hope.

Taking the ball of shit Narbacular Drop was and turning it into Portal was ****ing amazing -- that didn't take creativity?

The art direction in TF2 didn't take any creativity?

Steam..?

I hear these games have horrible communities that are ridden with Elitist douchebags.

I was wondering why Gabe thought the game fitted so perfectly into the Valve portfolio...

Ohohoho

My only real concern is that Valve's involvement in DOTA 2 will be minimized by IceFrog. Valve themselves have said they're leaving creative control to him. I understand Valve is a business, but I'm afraid their lack of involvement will produce a game that will tarnish Valve's track record. No one seems to be denying that IceFrog is pretty anti-social.

I am, however, completely looking forward to DOTA 2 because I love the Steam community and its integration with Steam should prove to be a wonderful match.

Any person who believe that shit written on that blog is a stupid.

Back