Valvetime.net

Trophy points, ****ing really guys? I post here because I want to talk to you people, not because it strokes my e-dick. If I wanted to be patronized like an inattentive 12-year-old for my decision to post here, then I would go on the Steam Power forums. At the very least let me have the option of ignoring that shit.
Feel free to ignore it. They'll still be there. But you can ignore them if you wish.

I'm not a fan of the dotted sig line, but I might figure out how to adapt.

CHANGE! AAAARGH whatdoidowhatdoido I'm so confused please help me I think I wandered in here by mistake or something.

Like that time in the Musee d'Orsay when I was walking out of the ladies room while texting somebody and walked straight into the men's without realising and then looked up and realised that there were urinals everywhere. I think something similar has happened here, except with red things and large avatars and trophy points instead of urinals. I'm lost. *runs away*

Edit: This more or less sums up how I feel. Just replace the cupboard in the video with this website:

The second renaissance has begun! Let us all embrace the new enlightened ideas proposed by our merciful overlords!

raphael_schoolathens.jpg

The like/dislike post things seems like a good idea. Hopefully we should be able to keep track of people who post constructively rather than just add to their post count. That's if people actively rate things anyway.

Expect many Bad Spelling ratings from Curmudgeon_Man.

Whoa! **** isn't censored anymore!
I'm out of things that I can remember being censored.

Whoa! **** isn't censored anymore!
I'm out of things that I can remember being censored.

Er, well, I guess it wasn't earlier...

EDIT: Looks like the word filters need some work. They're still strict filters.

I'm so confused by the fact that we are now basically Facebook. 'Liking' people's posts when I like them is an overhead I never expected to have to deal with. (Also I think you should possibly disable likes and dislikes in the Politics forum)

It can't be disabled on a per forum basis.

We are looking at ways of improving the ratings system. Chances are the wording will be +1 and -1 and result in a rating for each post. I think this is much more suitable for our users, and is a common feature among forums and somewhat different from Facebook.

I see you've removed all the buttons except for like and dislike. Just so you know on the home page you still have:​
Ratings:[agree]/[middle one I'm not sure what it is perhaps likes?]/[disagree]

Like any other forum with such a system in place, the likes and dislikes will be abused for the degradation of one and the praise of another. We all know that anyone who openly admits to following Christianity or being a Republican will feel the weight of dozens of thumbs pointing down on them. This won't occur in just the Politics forum, either. We saw it everywhere at Halflife2.net. In order to prevent this, we should remove it. It's not who we are, and even a newbie who joined in July of 2009 with a little over 1400 posts can understand that.

I'll just copy pasta my facebook comments for discussion value:

Totally against this.
This is a feature nobody asked for and many people even said they didn't want.
Why do posts need ratings of any kind? Are we too stupid to read them and make our own judgement? Where's the integrity?

It doesn't matter that I don't have to use it. Of course I don't. I can hide the thing in my browser easily enough and never have to look at it again. That is entirely beside the point. As a long time member I feel it just lacks integrity to utilize a feature like this on a forum as long standing as ours. These features are for newbie forums full of people who can't appreciate traditional discussion and need some rating applied to everything they sputter out lest they feel unnoticed.

It's insulting to us long time members who have used and enjoyed the forums for years without applying numerical ratings to what we have contributed.

I'm at a loss for why anyone would want the majority opinion of the rest of the board to dictate or even influence their perceived quality of a post that they can read themselves.

We had great discussions on hl2.net without any of these 'enhancements'. We relied on our own opinions of posts, and vocalized them when necessary. If someone has something to say about a post, then they make a reply, not click a button. This is why I feel that, whether you intended to or not, a system like this is dumbing down the way intelligent discussion works. It disrupts the natural flow of discussion. You say it encourages posts but that's exactly the problem. People shouldn't make posts just to get ratings. I am vehemently against this principle.

I 'liked' your post and therefore feel no need to give any further response.

Ok this is what's going to happen:
  • We are going to make changes to the likes system. There will only be two. + and - (or +1 and -1 if you like).
  • We are going to change the way it looks, and make some heavy modifications to the way the add on is written.
  • We are going to remove it from the Politics forum.
  • After the changes have been made, we will be keeping it running for at least one month.
  • During that time we will monitor feedback, and also monitor its use.
  • If it is proved to be unused or unpopular then we will consider removing it completely.

I'd like to point out that, in this case, "unpopular" means "the vast majority of people actively disliking it" and not "a few vocal people disliking it".

Bring back the other silly ratings.

I like to rate people, there's something oddly arousing about clicking a rating and seeing it appear and remain until the next Ice Age.
:hug:

btw the new smileys are creepy as ****

Rating posts is now unavailable to posts in the politics forum.

This is tags all over again.

edit: Also have the title been changed?

Trophy based. I think the highest is at 100 Trophy Points right now(?), but I'm not sure if I've even added enough Trophies that that is attainable. It's one of those things that we'll be tweaking.

The cool thing about the Trophy Points is they promote more than just having a high post count. There are trophies for talking to members on their profiles, Following them, liking posts / having posts liked. How often you log in, stuff like that.

(I love your avatar, by the way.)

The total trophy points is currently 204 according to this though it's not clear to me what some of them are. Is everyone likes validation for validating your email? Steampowered makes it seem like it'd be for posting your Steam ID on your profile but I don't have that one and I've done that. Staying connected is pretty vague too. Is that for coming back a lot or for linking your Facebook profile or something?

Will you be taking suggestions for trophies people could earn? What limitations are there in the trophy system? ie, what info is it able to access about a user?

I'm disappointed that we're no longer able to rate posts "funny" or "useful". I just don't see the downside to having those.

I was all amped up about pointing out bad spelling on this forum, but it looks like only one person got to receive the rating before it was removed.

IT WAS MEEEEEEEEEE D:

The total trophy points is currently 204 according to this though it's not clear to me what some of them are. Is everyone likes validation for validating your email? Steampowered makes it seem like it'd be for posting your Steam ID on your profile but I don't have that one and I've done that. Staying connected is pretty vague too. Is that for coming back a lot or for linking your Facebook profile or something?

Will you be taking suggestions for trophies people could earn? What limitations are there in the trophy system? ie, what info is it able to access about a user?

Here's the List.

"First Message" - for Posting on the Forums.
"Somebody Likes You" - for getting a Like.
"One Week Anniversary!" - for being registered (and signing in?) for a week.
"Happy Birthday" is for it being your birthday.
"Everyone Likes Validation" is supposed to kick in if you've Validated your email address.
"Keeps Coming Back" is having posted 30 times.
"Thanks for Staying connected" is for linking your Facebook profile.
"Can't Stop" is having posted 100 times.
"I like it a lot" is 25 likes on your posts.
"A year has gone by" is having been registered for a year.
"Good behaviour" is 10 positive post ratings.
"Steampowered" is supposed to work if your SteamProfile is entered.
"Seriously Likeable" is getting 100 likes.
"Addicted" is posting 1000 messages.
"Can't get enough" is 250 likes.
"Model Citizen" is 30 positive ratings.
"I love it" is 500 likes.
"Over 9000" is of course, 9001 posts.

I'd definitely be up for taking ideas for it, but it is at the moment a bit limited, unfortunately.

To save me explanations of what's available, let me show a couple of screenshots.

Trophy1.pngTrophy2.pngTrophy3.png

I am here to register my shock, disappointment and tears.

Well clearly there should be a 5000pt trophy for being a girl.

By the way, is a 'like' the same as a +1 now that we've gotten rid of likes?

We distilled it down to the two ratings - +1 and -1, or "Like" and "Dislike", whichever you think damages our integrity the least.

Which reminds me, there seems to be some discrepancy between ratings viewed in different places. If I click my name in this thread for example I get a popup saying I have +18 positive ratings. But if I actually go to my profile, it's only +11.

Which reminds me, there seems to be some discrepancy between ratings viewed in different places. If I click my name in this thread for example I get a popup saying I have +18 positive ratings. But if I actually go to my profile, it's only +11.

It's probably from the ones we've removed. Let me try something.

It's not actually. There was a difference in these values even before you got rid of the others.

Yeah I'm seeing it. It says now that you have 11 Positive Received, and 7 Positive Received. I just tried to force it to do a Recount and that's what it came back with. It's possibly because the other Positives are disabled, but not deleted?

One other teensy thing is that I'm not sure I care for how threads posted in the news section have to be viewed as articles with comments instead of being able to see them as threads like you could on hl2.net. I'm guessing the staff agreed that this is better, but personally I don't like it. I say save that format for those who aren't going on the forum and just clicking and commenting on articles on the main page.

And another not-as-teensy thing is the lack of multiquote. While you can press Reply for every post you want to quote and it adds the quote code to the quick reply box, it jumps you down every time so you have to keep scrolling up to add more posts.

Back