Valvetime.net

One other teensy thing is that I'm not sure I care for how threads posted in the news section have to be viewed as articles with comments instead of being able to see them as threads like you could on hl2.net. I'm guessing the staff agreed that this is better, but personally I don't like it. I say save that format for those who aren't going on the forum and just clicking and commenting on articles on the main page.

Yeah, the general idea was that it would look more like Editorials on a site and less like Comments on a Forum, and be more, ah, professional. I could certainly make it only appear that way for guests, which might be a decent solution. People who visit the forum regularly as members might be more happy with the uniformity across the boards, while it would still look as intended for visitors. I'll see what the others think.

And another not-as-teensy thing is the lack of multiquote. While you can press Reply for every post you want to quote and it adds the quote code to the quick reply box, it jumps you down every time so you have to keep scrolling up to add more posts.

I'm sorry I don't really understand the difference, I never used Multiquote before. In the circumstance like this where I'm quoting you twice, I just copy/paste the BBCode by hand. And usually I think of Multiquote as being quotes within quotes.

[EDIT] Oh wait you mean like adding Quotes to a Queue kind of thing?

Yes, say there are 3 posts I want to address, before I could just click the 3 multiquote buttons and then click Quote on one of them to start the post. In this case, just clicking the multiquote button should do the exact same thing as the Quote button except not jump down to the reply box.

I agree with Veg, I always found multiquote very useful in certain threads.

Otherwise I think the layout is very nice and sleek. Good job, guys. :)

Edit: Mother of god that smilie is terrifying.

Come on guys let's take it all the way and turn the forum into an RPG.

I just need 6 more awards to get to Lv 20! Oh hell yeah check my custom gear!

I agree with Veg, I always found multiquote very useful in certain threads.

Otherwise I think the layout is very nice and sleek. Good job, guys. :)

Edit: Mother of god that smilie is terrifying.

Not nearly as bad as :p
I can never use a smiley to indicate joking/silliness/sarcasm again. Now it looks like rapidly-licking-one's-nose.

Anyways, I'm mostly ok with the new forum. Would maybe like to be able to see page count on threads without having to mouse over it. Every thread looks brand spankin' new now, and I've been used to clicking the last page number to get to the last page (maybe I'm the only one that does that though) -- confusing to have to watch if a number pops up to see if it's a multi-page thread. Also, highlighting the RSS icon upon mouseover is a little distracting. Minor issues though.

and I've been used to clicking the last page number to get to the last page (maybe I'm the only one that does that though) -- confusing to have to watch if a number pops up to see if it's a multi-page thread.
I was doing the same at first, until someone indicated that the little blue dot to the left of the post titles is the "go to most recent post" button. It needs to be bigger and obvious and I think the staff is already aware.

I was doing the same at first, until someone indicated that the little blue dot to the left of the post titles is the "go to most recent post" button. It needs to be bigger and obvious and I think the staff is already aware.

You must have the image cached, I changed it to a larger red button yesterday.

I've been used to clicking the last page number to get to the last page (maybe I'm the only one that does that though) -- confusing to have to watch if a number pops up to see if it's a multi-page thread.
Me too. Maybe for multi-page threads, make the last page number always visible and fade in the preceding pages on mouseover? I think it'd look pretty neat.

Ah, I see it now. It's a little, well, misplaced. Perhaps it would be better on the end of where "pages" show up under the titles.

Everything seems a bit too jazzy for my taste (stuff happening on mouse-over, etc.). The preview on mouse-over like we had before is fine, but stuff like page numbers and post rating buttons popping up and other stuff lighting up is just distracting.

Let's see, what else... entire thing is too dark and too narrow, the red logo thing next to each forum looks like a rip-off of the Empire symbol from Star Wars, and the smilies suck so much I'll never use them.

I like it thus far, I missed all the cussin and the fighting between everyone. It was a very boring week. I wish the site was a little more vibrant color wise but I haven't seen any advanced options yet

too narrow
*cough*
http://www.valvetime.net/index.php?threads/full-width-temporary-fix.182150

By the way, I'm still finding it annoying that anything I paste carries its format, even if there is a button to remove the formatting. That's still extra work for me to simply just paste something. And I know Chrome has 'paste as plain text' but I use ctrl v way more often (and don't you tell me to hold shift!)

The point is, I just don't see what value carrying over the formatting has. When does anyone ever need to do this? How about just add a button to the toolbar that says 'paste with formatting' and then everyone's happy? Those rare cases when you actually do want to paste something with formatting, you'll be covered. But since the majority of times you don't want to carry formatting (and it is the vast majority) we don't have to be hassled.

By the way, I'm still finding it annoying that anything I paste carries its format, even if there is a button to remove the formatting. That's still extra work for me to simply just paste something. And I know Chrome has 'paste as plain text' but I use ctrl v way more often (and don't you tell me to hold shift!)

The point is, I just don't see what value carrying over the formatting has. When does anyone ever need to do this? How about just add a button to the toolbar that says 'paste with formatting' and then everyone's happy? Those rare cases when you actually do want to paste something with formatting, you'll be covered. But since the majority of times you don't want to carry formatting (and it is the vast majority) we don't have to be hassled.

I don't know why you assume that these things are done with the intent of making your life more difficult.
That's simply the way the WYSIWYG editor is set up within XenForo, and I have not found a way to change it.

I don't know why you assume that these things are done with the intent of making your life more difficult.
I didn't intend to come off that way. It's just that I hadn't received a solid response besides a workaround the first time I brought it up.
That's simply the way the WYSIWYG editor is set up within XenForo, and I have not found a way to change it.
Yeah I started looking into this myself and found others complaining with no solution.

It's really going to become a problem once we get multiple color schemes. Those copy and pasting text on one theme won't even realize that their text is unreadable or ugly on someone else's theme.

It's really going to become a problem once we get multiple color schemes. Those copy and pasting text on one theme won't even realize that their text is unreadable or ugly on someone else's theme.

This is the big problem, actually.

This limitation is with TinyMCE, the WYSIWYG software, not with XenForo itself. They have a plugin that are supposed to let you paste without the formatting being taken into consideration, but it seems a little limited. Right now it seems as though, at least with Firefox and Chrome, that copying and pasting text or links from other sites will change to the default colours. That's not the case for things like word documents, but I don't imagine we'll encounter that problem all that often.

For now at least the problem is mostly resolved. The list of options beyond this are all pretty extreme, so I'm hoping that this is a suitable fix for now.

Seems to be pretty good.

Only one more suggestion about the reply box. While the darkened normal text looks great, links are still in their native color and a pretty unreadable. It would be nice if you made these dark in the reply box as well.

Only one more suggestion about the reply box. While the darkened normal text looks great, links are still in their native color and a pretty unreadable. It would be nice if you made these dark in the reply box as well.

Yeah that's coming today.

I think Vegeta897 is going to be the first one to hit the 100 Trophy Point Title. Apparently I made it too easy!

Yeah I'm still working on some of these. I really want them to release an extension so that I can do far more things with the trophies.

I'm not sure if you're still working on it and just haven't reimplemented it, but I was always a user of the app Tapatalk. I looked for the new site name, but only came up with Halflife2.net which is broken due to obvious reasons. Are you still going to add that functionality back in?

Otherwise, you guys have done a fantastic job on the looks of this site. It's gorgeous to be honest with you. I'm proud of my little weeble wobbles of HL2.net. They're all growing up.

I'm not sure if you're still working on it and just haven't reimplemented it, but I was always a user of the app Tapatalk. I looked for the new site name, but only came up with Halflife2.net which is broken due to obvious reasons. Are you still going to add that functionality back in?

Otherwise, you guys have done a fantastic job on the looks of this site. It's gorgeous to be honest with you. I'm proud of my little weeble wobbles of HL2.net. They're all growing up.

Tapatalk says it supports XenForo, so absolutely I can implement that! I'll throw that together tonight.

Glad you like the new digs. :)

Thanks!

:D

Not sure if we've mentioned yet, but the next available colourour scheme is going to be the same colour scheme from Halflife2.net. But no ETA yet.

Looks great. There is one annoyance that I have. Could you add an option to have the forums automatically marked as "read" when viewed? Right now it seems like I have to either manually mark the forums as read, or view every single thread in that forum...

This is all very confusing, but I suppose I'll manage.

I like the color scheme, but I find how the posts are divided a bit awkward, and the red line that cuts across the avatars hurts my brain. Other than that looks great.

Though it's sad that I can't refer to this site as helplife2.net anymore.

Edit: Oh God the thread list hurts my eyes text is too bold arghads

This is all very confusing, but I suppose I'll manage.

I like the color scheme, but I find how the posts are divided a bit awkward, and the red line that cuts across the avatars hurts my brain. Other than that looks great.

Though it's sad that I can't refer to this site as helplife2.net anymore.

Edit: Oh God the thread list hurts my eyes text is too bold arghads
We'll have more colour schemes soon.

Though you should probably get your eyes tested or something. Brain and eyes hurting is not good!

Shamrock, this is installed now, so it should be good to go.

I'm sure this is my first post years, but thought I'd say the change was a good idea! But I certainly had to change the width from default to "fluid" or else I'd have gone insane.

ps bring tags back

ps bring tags back

I would love to but it's unfortunately not something that XenForo supports just yet. Unfortunately, I also have not heard if they ever will implement it, nor if it's something that someone else might be creating as an Addon. But rest assured that the moment something like that becomes available, we'll have it.

But rest assured that the moment something like that becomes available, we'll have it.
Really? Do you not remember why it was disabled shortly after it was implemented on hl2.net?

I for one prefer halflife2.net and will continue to refer it to as such.

Good news, I can browse the site on my phone without it being blocked by Vodafone for having adult content!

Using Tapatalk and working nicely. When trying to view the forums through the standard Android browser posts were appearing very wonky.

I for one prefer halflife2.net and will continue to refer it to as such.
Then you will be the odd one out.

We are bringing back a Halflife2.net theme as an option, but it will of course be called ValveTime.net still.

Back