Valvetime.net

IIRC correctly half of the tags people put on threads were "need a dispenser here."

Tag systems are pretty useless unless you have a good team of people tagging threads correctly and intuitively. Adding more stuff for the database to store and thus increasing load times ever so slightly doesn't seem worth it for a system that will ultimately be useless.

Has there ever been a feature that we've ever added in all the history of halflife2.net that you've actually liked?

I ain't talking about opinions here. I'm discussing this objectively, and you're welcome to refute my arguments instead of being sarcastic.

Yes, in fact I think the way images are implemented is the best feature I've seen. (minus the process itself of putting images in posts, which is a pain when you're doing a lot of big images)
The way they fill the width of the post, and can be viewed in full size right on the screen, or middle clicked if you prefer, is great. This is a good feature that I like. I also like a lot of other things about this new forum. If I didn't, you'd certainly be hearing about it, as I've already done.

Tag systems are pretty useless unless you have a good team of people tagging threads correctly and intuitively. Adding more stuff for the database to store and thus increasing load times ever so slightly doesn't seem worth it for a system that will ultimately be useless.

It doesn't put nearly as much of a train on the database as you think, especially for how much it benefits searching / SEO.

Shows how much I know. Does it really benefit SEO? I find it funny that our silly forum even cares about SEO.

This is the definitive news source for all things Valve, Vegeta.

Also I kind of agree with ktimekiller. I will continue to make humorous references to the halflife2.net name. HELPLIFE2.net VERSION 2!!!

We do have a steady inflow of new guys. You wouldn't want to overwork me would you? Bad things may happen.

Oh I work in the uh... department.. over there... with the things. I'm busy can we discuss this later?

It was self-deprecating humor about how I treat new members.

havent visited in a few weeks so I was surprised to see the new site/name change this morning. lol. the name is kinda awkward

"what time is it? it's valvetime!!!"

pros: blog news style is nice, more modern design to site, nicer color scheme, cleaner layout
cons: name (I can live with it), supersized avatars, supersized text, having to ignore people again

What supersized text? The post text, usernames and user info in the posts are all the same as before.

havent visited in a few weeks so I was surprised to see the new site/name change this morning. lol. the name is kinda awkward

"what time is it? it's valvetime!!!"

pros: blog news style is nice, more modern design to site, nicer color scheme, cleaner layout
cons: name (I can live with it), supersized avatars, supersized text, having to ignore people again
Thank you.

Regarding the name, in what way is it awkward?

it just doesnt seem like it's game related. or it implies that we're making fun of valve because of it's slow as molasses development time (WHERE'S EP 3??? it's done when it's done; they're on valvetime)

I'm constantly surprised by how many people don't get that - or else assume that we don't get it.

it just doesnt seem like it's game related. or it implies that we're making fun of valve because of it's slow as molasses development time (WHERE'S EP 3??? it's done when it's done; they're on valvetime)

I knew we should have gone for ValveVets.net!

Woah, holy crap! I leave for a couple of weeks and everything is all different and new now.

I for sure like the new design and I'll hopefully get used to navigating it. Hard to leave behind the old name of course (my bookmark for the site is going untouched), but I can see why it was changed and its probably for the better.

Just some questions though. For some reason the site loads very slowly on my computer and there tends to be a large delay when scrolling. Anyone else have this problem? Also, there is a large gap between the last post and the quick reply button at the bottom of the page (I feel like I shouldve searched this first).

No need to search, Wanted Bob this is the first time we've heard this.

Though it shouldn't matter, could you let us know what browser you're using, what version of your OS and a quick run down of your basic hardware specs?

We've tested the site on a pretty wide array of hardware and no similar problems have been reported.

Glad though that you like the new design :) Don't forget to also now Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter :)

Wanted Bob. You might want to change your sig. They're limited to 100px now so the spoiler tag makes the amount of content that fits in your sig less rather than more.

I use Firefox 3.6.28, as the newer Firefox breaks some of the add-ons that I use on a regular basis, and my OS is Vista 64-bit (should be up-to-date).

Hardware-wise, I should have more than enough to run demanding websites and the old site never gave me any trouble.

CPU: Intel T9900 3.06 Ghz
GPU: nVIDIA GeForce 260M GTX
RAM: 4.00 GB

Internet is 25 Mbps, so that shouldn't be an issue either.

Firefox 3.6 is pretty old now.

I will download and test.

I use Firefox 3.6.28, as the newer Firefox breaks some of the add-ons that I use on a regular basis.

I'd be willing to guess that's your issue. Your version is over a year old. There are bound to be issues with using outdated software. I'm surprised this is the first you've seen.

Ah well, I had hoped I could hang on to my old browser, but I guess its time to upgrade to the new one (shows how much I love you guys :))

I'll update here if that doesn't fix the issues I'm having.

Firefox 11 is reported to be seven times faster. Probably more secure too. If you're feeling experimental, try Chrome, we love it :)

What add ons were holding you back, out of interest?

Leechblock was pretty much the one app that I couldn't live without. For some reason it wouldn't work on Firefox 11 for me, though after some messing around I've gotten it to work now...

Upgrading fixed my problems by the way.

I'm sorry if I'm asking this in a stupid place, but is there an RSS feed for front-page news (news forum only I guess)? There was in the old one and I want to add the gadget to my iGoogle home page.

Oh FFS. It's the RSS link next to the subforum, not the one at the bottom right corner of every page. Works great, thanks!

Are the mods able to make a link to group chat somewhere on the home page? Look I'll do half the work for you:
<p><a href="steam://friends/joinchat/103582791432943084">Dicks</a></p>

BTW, what's the outlook on transparent avatars?

I thought Stylo was using one, but it looks like he just incorporated the page background into his. I'll see about doing it.

Are the mods able to make a link to group chat somewhere on the home page? Look I'll do half the work for you:
<p><a href="steam://friends/joinchat/103582791432943084">Dicks</a></p>

Good call. I'll get that done, too.

I didn't think my joke about the tags would actually launch a discussion about them.

Thread tags were removed because they were abused. And how gloriously abused they were. It was my brand of humour. That is, anonymous passive aggression.

Back