Vikings vs Samurais

Who would win?

• Total voters
I feel kind of miffed that I voted before pirates showed up on the poll. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. But in any case pirates beat everybody. There's no room for discussion there.
Everyone apart from navy snipers.

BaDumTsh!

I've never quite liked pirates, except for AIRSHIP PIRATES.

AirshipBattleFleet.jpg

Goddamnet I love airships.

lol wut

A viking in full battle armor would literally be impervious to slashing attacks which is all the samurai would have up close, while a vikings axe would rip right through whatever the **** the samurai was wearing.

Edit: Also samurai steel back then was absolute SHIT.

Now that I think about it, vikings probably had access to steel. Wikipedia confirms this. Still, viking swords and axes were short and broad, and the steel they were made of had a high carbon content. They were likely extremely brittle. Viking armor was also made of iron.

Also, samurai armor was made of leather with steel or iron inlays, with chain mail and steel helmets. This would not withstand axe attacks at all. Samurai swords, on the other hand, were notoriously sharp, highly polished, and made of some of the most intensive steel smelting methods of the day. A samurai sword could cleanly cut off a man's head without too much force. Viking swords were heavier, and more brittle. They would have been good for sheer concussive force, rather than quick slices.

I think that the vikings and the samurai would be fairly evenly matched. It depends on exactly how each one was equipped, and whether or not they were riding horses. If the samurai were on a horse, the viking could dismount him using a spear. If the samurai were on foot, the viking might still be able to beat him if he got in close with sword and shield, or axe. Samurai would have been bad on foot against cavalry though, so if the viking were mounted with a spear and the samurai were on foot, the samurai wouldn't have much of a chance.

Tom Cruise was the last samurai, so clearly vikings win.

No , the 2x4 with a nail sticking out of it is.

LMAO!

I wouldn't want to be hit with either, the Katana or the 2x4, but both pale in comparison to that of the almighty... Pen.

-MRG

Samurai in a pitched battle, but Viking hit and run tactics would be hard for them to counter.
Vikings actually fought a lot of pitched battles - it's only on a large scale that their tactics consisting of hitting and running (going ashore, raiding, leaving by boat) and even that's not accurate since they founded and occupied many English towns, even getting their kings on the thonre at points.

Vikings actually fought a lot of pitched battles - it's only on a large scale that their tactics consisting of hitting and running (going ashore, raiding, leaving by boat) and even that's not accurate since they founded and occupied many English towns, even getting their kings on the thonre at points.

Yes I know that. They ruled big chunks of Ireland at one point too. I think the Samurai would be superior at a pitched battle not that the Vikings would be entirely incapable of fighting one.

I thought you might, but saying "Viking hit and run tactics" makes it sound like you believe those tactics to be quintessentially viking.

THESE THINGS ARE [strike]not really[/strike] IMPORTANT TO ME

No, but the whole amphibious guerilla warfare thing wouldn't have been something seen to such an extent in fuedal Japan, I imagine it wouldn't be easy for Samurai to counter.

I really wish this had actually happened now. Thinking about it, it might have. Maybe vikings got to America and then on to Japan. Maybe there were huge viking raids on the coast there and we just haven't found any archeological or cultural evidence of it yet. Maybe the truth was covered up by the ruling samurocracy.

there was a show on spikeTV where they tried to determine who was deadlier, samurais or vikings but i fell asleep before the end of the show

Shogunate would be a more apt word as Samurai were Shogun retainers, and not a ruling body in themselves... but I get it.

/pedantic ;)

I see Samurai are catching up in the poll (rike-u smor riding swiftry wallior, rightry armoured on horsu-backu, bow dlawn foory to cheeku, honour fulfiwedu)

there was a show on spikeTV where they tried to determine who was deadlier, samurais or vikings but i fell asleep before the end of the show
at the end they introduced Indians, which are what todays special forces are based on... those where some badass mofo... they throw one axe in your leg or whatever and then behead you.

-dodo

WTF at the third poll option. A Viking is basically a Scandinavian pirate, ammirite?

Vikings would probably kick samurai ass though.

A samurai has too many laws to follow.

It would be close though, a samurai's discipline and strict code of honor is what gives them morale on the battlefield. I'd say if it was a 1-on-1 match, then a Viking definitely, but in large platoons, then the samurai.

Then again, the Vikings have their Valhalla and Odin, which to them was a warrior's honor to die on the battlefield/high seas for, which made them a bunch of dangerous religious zealots. Plus they ate some special shroom concotion that made them beserkers and nigh invincible to pain.

The polls lack options tbh, but vikings for now.

WTF at the third poll option. A Viking is basically a Scandinavian pirate, ammirite?

The polls lack options tbh, but vikings for now.

A mod added Pirates in.

It doesn't lack options, its a simple poll between Vikings and Samurais.

Really stupid comparison. Vikings would just mow down those short samurais. Not to mention, their katana swords wouldn't do well against viking chain mail armor.

They didn't FACTOR IN??!!

you must FACTOR IN!!

I haven't seen it yet.

Didn't account for alot of things, but I still think it's a pretty fun show.

The samurai won. It was like 522-478 out of the 1000 matches simulated, so it was really close.

Next week is Spartan vs. Ninja. I'm thinking the spartan may have that one.

Each week on Deadliest Warrior, a new episode will pit two of the most feared warriors civilization has ever known against each other. Along with the use of 21st century science and the latest in CGI technology, each episode enlists warrior-specific world-class fighters and experts to provide insight into what makes these combatants tick, analyzing every facet of their unique skills of destruction, culminating in a head-to-head final fight between two legends of the battlefield that will produce the deadliest warrior. Other highly-anticipated showdowns this season include: Pirate vs. Knight, Taliban vs. IRA, Yakuza vs. Mafia, Viking vs. Samurai, Green Beret vs. Spetznaz, Maori vs. Shaolin Monks, William Wallace vs. Shaka Zulu and Ninja vs. Spartan. Check out Deadliest Warrior on Facebook

Bad idea.

Didn't account for alot of things, but I still think it's a pretty fun show.

Yeah, this is like my favorite shit now. That was awesome as hell.

But I agree: the way they decided who would win was bogus. They didn't even explain how they got the results. During the show, they judged the vikings and the samurai as equals, based on weapons, and that is as far as they went as to any kind of score keeping. So by that score, we have a 50/50 chance either way.

If they used some other means to figure who would win, then they should have explained it. As I see it, the fact that they didn't explain how the victor was decided only shows that their method must have been flawed.

I'm still going to watch this show from now on though.

Yeah, this is like my favorite shit now. That was awesome as hell.

But I agree: the way they decided who would win was bogus. They didn't even explain how they got the results. During the show, they judged the vikings and the samurai as equals, based on weapons, and that is as far as they went as to any kind of score keeping. So by that score, we have a 50/50 chance either way.

If they used some other means to figure who would win, then they should have explained it. As I see it, the fact that they didn't explain how the victor was decided only shows that their method must have been flawed.

I'm still going to watch this show from now on though.

The way I think they do it is, the more edges the warrior has, the higher his percentage is to win a battle when they plug it into the computer. The thing is though that since it went 50/50 with the samurai and viking it pretty much boiled down too "Ok heads vikings win, and tails samurai win...TAILS"

The way I think they do it is, the more edges the warrior has, the higher his percentage is to win a battle when they plug it into the computer. The thing is though that since it went 50/50 with the samurai and viking it pretty much boiled down too "Ok heads vikings win, and tails samurai win...TAILS"

Yeah, that's what I said, or tried to say.

Later, I watched episode one and discovered that it's much more detailed than 50/50 heads/tails random integer kinda thing.

I don't know if it makes it any more accurate, but there are a lot of factors. On the computer screen I could see what looked like 'sword 20 damage', etc. Like 100 different variables. As far as I could see, they were all set to 20 though. All the variables. But we just don't know if they changed them before running it.

Even in the interests of keeping the show layman-like, I still think that if they had anything worth showing regarding the realism of the code they ran, they they would have 'showed their work'.

I think they at least tried to represent the data that they gathered into the computer model.

I disagree with quite a few of their conclusions. Like, I would have decided a different victor regarding weapons.

I seriously like this show though. I'm really fascinated by ancient battles and shit, so this is right up my alley.

And they guest star some bad ass weapons masters that strike ****ing HARD. Skull crushing heads exploding awesome. Son.

Good grief, this still going?

Man on horseback with ranged and melee weapon v man on foot with melee weapon only. No brainer. I demand a re-vote.

Entire show was bullshit despite the correct result. The only thing they tested was psi in impact gel using Samurai gear against a bunch of crap that wasn't even specific to the Vikings, only testing against armor once.

They compared a thrown spear to a bow at 25 (!) yards, and pronounced a longsword superior to a Naginata. 50% silly jokes and 50% arbitrary fudging.

I wasn't going to take it at all seriously, but then everyone in the show was so presumptuous. The reenactment at the end was hilarious, though. Each guy had more weapons than Gordon Freeman and cycled through them constantly.

I know, the samurai is the one on horseback...

OK, They showed that a viking could throw two spears at two targets simultaneously, and he did, and it went through 6 inches of wood. So the viking wasn't melee only.

OK, They showed that a viking could throw two spears at two targets simultaneously, and he did, and it went through 6 inches of wood.

I loved that about the "simulation" at the end because one of the spears hits the samurai's WOODEN armor dead on and bounces off. You'd think they'd try to somewhat base it off the results.

Back