what...at it again?...church says it's ok to believe in aliens

jverne

Reaction score
VATICAN CITY - Believing that the universe may contain alien life does not contradict a faith in God, the Vatican's chief astronomer said in an interview published Tuesday.

yeah whatever...sooner or later you'll interpret that homosexuality is ok

The Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, the Jesuit director of the Vatican Observatory, was quoted as saying the vastness of the universe means it is possible there could be other forms of life outside Earth, even intelligent ones.

hehe...i'd love to see when they visit us an take a big shit on our primitive believes

"How can we rule out that life may have developed elsewhere?" Funes said. "Just as we consider earthly creatures as 'a brother,' and 'sister,' why should we not talk about an 'extraterrestrial brother'? It would still be part of creation."

hokay...it reminds me of that south park episode where cartman lead a anti ginger kids cult...remember how he saved himself from the burning magma?

In the interview by the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano, Funes said that such a notion "doesn't contradict our faith" because aliens would still be God's creatures. Ruling out the existence of aliens would be like "putting limits" on God's creative freedom, he said.

hahaha

The Bible "is not a science book," Funes said, adding that he believes the Big Bang theory is the most "reasonable" explanation for the creation of the universe. The theory says the universe began billions of years ago in the explosion of a single, super-dense point that contained all matter.

you see that pisses me of...the bible is so poorly written that anybody can attach anything to it.

Funes urged the church and the scientific community to leave behind divisions caused by Galileo's persecution 400 years ago, saying the incident has "caused wounds."

In 1633 the astronomer was tried as a heretic and forced to recant his theory that the Earth revolved around the sun. Church teaching at the time placed Earth at the center of the universe.

"The church has somehow recognized its mistakes," he said. "Maybe it could have done it better, but now it's time to heal those wounds and this can be done through calm dialogue and collaboration."

Pope John Paul declared in 1992 that the ruling against Galileo was an error resulting from "tragic mutual incomprehension."

The Vatican Observatory has been at the forefront of efforts to bridge the gap between religion and science. Its scientist-clerics have generated top-notch research and its meteorite collection is considered one of the world's best.

"we're really, really sorry for killing hundreds of scientist and suppressing scientific thought for 1500 years. no hard feelings? say...i'like your big bang theory mind if i borrow it?"

Eejit...please just don't ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080513/ap_on_re_eu/vatican_aliens

This is like waiting for Britney to do something stupid.
Pointless.

The thing is, they believe that humans are the only ones with souls, they believe humans are God's favorite and superior creature, what happens when we discover intelligent life? Specism?

yeah whatever...sooner or later you'll interpret that homosexuality is ok

But... wouldn't that be a good thing?

you see that pisses me of...the bible is so poorly written that anybody can attach anything to it.

They're saying it's not to be taken over science, again, isn't that a good thing?

"we're really, really sorry for killing hundreds of scientist and suppressing scientific thought for 1500 years. no hard feelings? say...i'like your big bang theory mind if i borrow it?"

Lets hold grudges vs Germans too, I mean look at what the Nazis did!

Eejit...please just don't ;)

:p Where's the fun in that?
I'll defend them against bashing I consider unfair. There are plenty of topics I'd criticise them on myself but the Vatican's position on science is generally one I encourage.

well i wouldn't be surprised if we get the short end

But... wouldn't that be a good thing?

They're saying it's not to be taken over science, again, isn't that a good thing?

:p Where's the fun in that?
I'll defend them against bashing I consider unfair. There are plenty of topics I'd criticise them on myself but the Vatican's position on science is generally one I encourage.

well yes...but it would be kind of stupid and contradicting

oh...ok, i bet there are some septics in there but they like the church financial support too much.

well yeah...we can't hold grudges forever...but at least nazis are not such big hypocrites like the holy church

unfair...maybe, but i think this is the only way we'll stop the church for stealing other ideas and using them for their cause

They are taking baby steps, it's better than nothing.

Thing is, the actual people that did those horrible things during WW 1&2 are either dead or old and senile by now, so hold a grudge against who?

Thing is, the actual people that did those horrible things during WW 1&2 are either dead or old and senile by now, so hold a grudge against who?

Whereas Pope Urban VIII is immortal, amirite?

That's because "they" are prepping us for the "Great Invasion"....When the aliens land, we'll all be so saturated with the commonality of them, we won't resist, and we'll all become slaves..;)
(Sorry, I've been listening to Coast to Coast AM on my way to work in the mornings again....I wanted to call in and say that, but I was afraid someone would take me seriously...)

what if people start treating aliens like gods..........

what...at it again?...church says it's ok to believe in aliens

until they start handing out condoms at high schools, then it's "oh girl, no".

The church says this because they want to recruit more and more troops.

Yes, I'm sure you are an excellent scholar and you've read the Hebrew & Greek to make this deduction.

Clearly they are trying to compete with Scientology.

Yes, I'm sure you are an excellent scholar and you've read the Hebrew & Greek to make this deduction.

well no i'm not a scholar...but i was raised a catholic until the age of 11. i was baptised and administered in the holy communion...i managed to escape confirmation.

The Greek, yes. And it's exactly as he describes. Even if I write a statement in English now and in 2000 years time no-one speaks it, it would still be the statement I wrote, and as obscure as I write it.

The obscurity of the text is added to from the civilization difference. For all we know, Civilisations back then could have used metaphors to describe everything! "Jesus turned water into wine" could have meant "Jesus had some Evian which tasted almost as good as wine".

Further, translating the bible directly just makes you sound silly. There are things in there which people nowadays assume was meant to be abstract from the fact that they disagree with science or common sense. So how far does that abstraction go?

The thing is, they believe that humans are the only ones with souls, they believe humans are God's favorite and superior creature, what happens when we discover intelligent life? Specism?

Oh no, humans will kell themselves for sure before we find extra terrestrials.

Back