What can it be?? Place your bets!

Warped

Reaction score
NASA to Reveal Big News From Planet-Hunting Spacecraft Thursday

milky-way-2.jpg

NASA is expected to make an announcement Thursday on the progress of its Kepler spacecraft, which has been staring at one patch of space for evidence of other worlds.

The space agency has scheduled an afternoon teleconference with reporters to announce the results from Kepler, which include the "discovery of an intriguing planetary system," NASA officials said Monday.

Participating in the teleconference will be senior NASA scientists and Kepler mission researchers, including principal investigator William Borucki, at the space agency's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif.

The Kepler space observatory hunts for Earth-like planets around other stars. In June, mission scientists announced it had found over 700 candidates, including five systems that appear to have more than one transiting planet.

The spacecraft monitors stars for subtle changes in their brightness, which could indicate that alien planets are passing in front of them as seen from Earth. To date, astronomers have discovered more than 400 planets lurking around stars beyond our solar system.

NASA launched the $600 million spacecraft in March 2009. It is currently staring at a patch of the Milky Way that contains over 156,000 stars – a star field in the constellations Cygnus and Lyra.

Astronomers have been using the data from Kepler to determine whether orbiting planets are responsible for the variation in brightness of several hundred stars.

Follow-up observations are necessary to distinguish between actual planets and false alarms such as binary stars, which are two stars that orbit each other.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/nasa-to-announce-latest-kepler-findings-100823.html

I really hope they officially announce that they have seen many many Earth like planets with H20/C02 and other similar compounds. Also the next batch of telescopes that will be billions of dollars are going to see with even greater detail with many more spectrums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvdCDOM4zuY

They've spotted an alien fleet on a direct course for earth.

They've spotted a giant asteroid on a direct course for earth.

They lost the Kepler, I'm calling it now.

Well. What's "big" that hasn't been discovered yet? Well the big one would be a water world or anything remotely habitable because all of the planets they have been found up until this point have been gassy or just very scary (omg it's raining molten iron). And we've already seen a planet in a visible spectrum even though it was a gigantic gas giant crazy far away from its star.

It could be a relatively close planet too since most have been really far away... which would be interesting... though irrelevant since we can barely get out of our solar system.

I guess the biggest one would be potentially inhabited planet but that wouldn't be any bullshit "wait til thursday" thing since everyone in the world would potentially be floored by proof.

My guess is that it's some water world or rocky block that's not on fire.

edit: Hah... it would be great if they lost Kepler...

They found the plans for an intergalactic highway.

They've spotted a giant asteroid on a direct course for earth.

I'm thinking that they've discovered Pandora. I'm determined to speak Na'vi as fluently as possible. Ahem, here goes.

"Smurf Smurf Smurf Smurf Smurf Smurf. Smurf, Smurf."

How did that sound?

They didn't find anything, this is just a late april fools joke.

They found the droids they were looking for.

And how the universe is shaped exactly like the earth, if you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were.

They've spotted the edge of the universe's skybox and proven that we're actually living in a simulation.

now wouldn't that be a mind trip. billions of years and we've finally realized this. I bet they're watching us up there laughing. I bet a few of us could wall hack eventually.

anyway i wonder if they saw anything spectacular as a planet as large as a massive star or a group of planets smashing into each other

Oh thanks Ravioli you piece of shit.

Guess it is my fault, though. :(

Il take some of the blame, i should of labeled the nature of the spoiler, but that would kind of counter-act the spoiler in the first place.

They've spotted the edge of the universe's skybox and proven that we're actually living in a simulation.

Welcome to the club.

I've been on that shtick for years. Nobody believes me. Though I am more conservative than you.

20100824021403capture.png

20100824021426capture.png

20100824021445capture.png

2015 will roll around in not too long and I will still be going strong!

Admin has kicked Kepler from the universe. Reason: noclipping through the heliosphere.

(Edit: wait I'm probably thinking of the voyager derp)

I bet the news is that the Kepler spacecraft has stopped responding and has been pronounced dead in space.

Maybe they found a loop where Valve time becomes real time. I certainly hope so!

Its either something extremely important, or extremely uninteresting, like a new star being discovered a few mm to the left of one we already knew about.

Im great at narrowing things down, I should solve crime, like Columbo, and just like Columbo, I know the answer in the first 5 minutes but I like to drag it out over an hour.

They probably made the first discovery of an earth-sized planet.

They found the colony ship that brought us all here. Goddamnit Moses, you said you scuttled that thing!

How about.... They found A PICTURE OF RAZIAAR AND THEY WILL BE SHOWING IT TO THE WHOLE WORLD!

they found some new tipe of mineral that dont do anything interesting except for being new

Joking aside, it would be awesome if they found a small planet, in living distance from its star, somewhere close, like Alpha Centauri. That's only four light-years away, it's not unfathomable that we might travel there some day.

what I meant to say is that it will be something that wont be that relevant to the general public,only to people really interesed in science

Joking aside, it would be awesome if they found a small planet, in living distance from its star, somewhere close, like Alpha Centauri. That's only four light-years away, it's not unfathomable that we might travel there some day.

Mind Worms

Back