What can it be?? Place your bets!

Just one more day!! this has made me anxious..i just want to know!!

chances are they found a bunch of planets near a star. like similar to our solar system in terms of size and placement

they found some new tipe of mineral that dont do anything interesting except for being new
I don't know if you're being serious but let me say; they can and will get excited by things that wouldn't mean quite as much to us. I do envy that a bit. (**** yeah, a new rock!)

They discovered daddy never DID beat me as a child....

;(

Don't worry, Jeff Goldblum will upload a computer virus to their mainframe with his Mac Book.

retardedmovie.jpg

And fortunately he took the right USB cable, and the alien ship also had a USB port!

My guess is they have proof of liquid water on an exo-planet. As far as I know they've never had proof of that (though there are a few planets where they reckon their might be).

Obviously they found Xenu and are making a public apology for that rule e-mail they sent Tom Cruise at the Christmas party last year.

I bet they found the lost 12 colonizes of man-kind after a murderous bunch robots destroyed it

That thread is a huge disappointment, and a continuous reminder of why not a lot of us are going to survive after the NWO is established.

"Hey guys this former FBI Agent has some new information regarding the assassination of JFK, if you watch these videos he shows documents tha--"
"I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO READ IT BEFORE CONCLUDING THAT IT IS WRONG BECAUSE I LOVE MY TELEVISION. ALSO, YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST BLAMED THE MUSLIMS"

I mean, what?

They finally revealed it, this is what the telescope has been zoomed in on for over a year now:

gabe3.jpg

Keplar was facing the wrong way and found an ancient starship buried in the sand

Now I'm confused. Is it just the haze of bad science reporting, or has two become a bigger number than seven?.

Anyway, not unexciting.

edit: Seems to me that this boils down to different interpretations of 'confirmation', so that two different space agencies will be able to both look the best in their field. Everyone likes a good cock off.

Poor reporting I believe, according to the NASA release it's the first time more than one planet has been found transiting the same star - passing in front of it relative to us in other words. Also the two planets appear to be interacting gravitationally, kinda orbiting each other too as far as I understand.

"This discovery is the first clear detection of significant changes in the intervals from one planetary transit to the next, what we call transit timing variations," said Matthew Holman, a Kepler mission scientist from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Mass. "This is evidence of the gravitational interaction between the two planets as seen by the Kepler spacecraft."
'Kinda orbiting each other' is going too far but they affect each others solar orbit.

this is still pretty cool news nonetheless!! who knows someday we may be able to visit there and take a snapshot and send it back to Earth

Poor reporting I believe, according to the NASA release it's the first time more than one planet has been found transiting the same star - passing in front of it relative to us in other words. Also the two planets appear to be interacting gravitationally, kinda orbiting each other too as far as I understand.

Kinda. There are apparently two transiting saturnoids, orbiting a "sun-like star" in a 2:1 resonance of 38 days and 19 days. Orbital parameters change slightly over time, suggesting a third planet candidate. This is a possible hot-Earth of 1.5 Earth-diameters much closer in.

So the news are pretty much: "Demonstration of transit-timing alteration allowing for otherwise unseen planets to have their orbits calculated - allowing for 'discovery' of planets that may lie in the habitable zone of stars even if they're not seen transiting."

Not the earth-analogue people might have been expecting, but exciting nonetheless.

by the time you reach 50 you may be able to recreate your own organs. who knows what advancements we'll have when we are "old"

I don't know, technology never advances as fast as we think. For example read stories of people who envisioned by like 1980 we'd have flying cars and stuff.

That thread is a huge disappointment, and a continuous reminder of why not a lot of us are going to survive after the NWO is established.

"Hey guys this former FBI Agent has some new information regarding the assassination of JFK, if you watch these videos he shows documents tha--"
"I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO READ IT BEFORE CONCLUDING THAT IT IS WRONG BECAUSE I LOVE MY TELEVISION. ALSO, YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST BLAMED THE MUSLIMS"

I mean, what?

I feel your pain.

I'm thinking that they've discovered Pandora. I'm determined to speak Na'vi as fluently as possible. Ahem, here goes.

"Smurf Smurf Smurf Smurf Smurf Smurf. Smurf, Smurf."

How did that sound?

When anyone mentions pandora, borderlands comes to my mind before avatar.

Joking aside, honestly I don't find this all that exciting. I'll get excited when they find the first earth like planet.

Well the problem with all our current methods is that they're totally luck based. Planetary transits rely on the the axis being lined up just right and even at that earth-like planets are too small to be seen with this method, as you can see from this info. They can't actually see the small planet, only infer one is there from the orbits of the bigger ones.

I think gravitational lensing is better for seeing small planets, but that's luck based too. To do it you need two stars lines up perfectly with the Earth, and the one in the middle's gravity acts as a lens bending the light from the distant one towards us. But these events are totally random and if the star you're looking at doesn't happen to line up with a distant star after the initial alignment is over you can't take a second look.

I don't know, technology never advances as fast as we think. For example read stories of people who envisioned by like 1980 we'd have flying cars and stuff.

Well, you know, flying cars were viable in the 80s. Just not economically sound.

Incorrect. Technology almost never advances in the way we think. Yes, people thought we'd have flying cars in 1980, but they also thought computers the size of rooms would still be around today.

Incorrect. Technology almost never advances in the way we think. Yes, people thought we'd have flying cars in 1980, but they also thought computers the size of rooms would still be around today.

Exactly. I think technology advances way differently than we expect, and perhaps even faster than we expect.

Today we have small very powerful computers and medical technology that would seem truly star trek like to someone from the 50's or 60's.

But, oh noes we don't have flying cars!11 :|

Fair enough. Didn't word how I thought it.

Exactly what AJ said. Think about the advancements your parents alone have seen from growing up in the 1960's or so. Back then, people assumed things like "flying cars" were important, and would be important in the year 2000. Now we understand the application of flying cars is kind of stupid, at least right now. Instead we've made advancements in things that are much more useful. Like The I Pad.

Back