What did Valve do to make you mad?

Just wish that they would maybe put out an alert for the weekly/daily maintenance so we don't think our steam is broke, or maybe making it more obvious? I always get pissed and think I lost my internets or something.

Sometimes it happens by mistake! Steam community, Steam friends, and other Steam services were down for about an hour the other day due to an accident. The maintenance tends to not bother me as it's usually only for about 5-10 minutes. I think it'd be more annoying to be warned of it!

"Mad" is such a strong word. I've had a few annoyances with Valve over the years but at the end of the day I pay my money and get great games in return which I enjoy to the fullest, can't ask for much more than that.

They kicked my dog!
They kicked his dog!
valvekickdogey2.jpg

For me it would be them ditching pc exclusivity or atleast not releasing the pc version half a year before consoles.

At the same time I do not blame Valve since as a company you need to make the most money you can.

Nothing, If of all game companies you can get mad at Valve then you probably need anger management and a new hobby.

Seriously, sometimes I think the only reason some kids are gamers is so they can bitch and rage and rant at something.

Go into politics and STFU or whatever. :imu:

I HATE STEAM! IT IS A COMPLETE FALIURE, i mean, why would you have to go online to go offline, plus, if u didnt go offline, why do you have to be connected to the internet to play an offline game? it just dosent make sense and is not very helpfull for peoples without internet! It is so stupid!

I HATE STEAM! IT IS A COMPLETE FALIURE, i mean, why would you have to go online to go offline, plus, if u didnt go offline, why do you have to be connected to the internet to play an offline game? it just dosent make sense and is not very helpfull for peoples without internet! It is so stupid!

Erm...not to come across as a jerk, but how would an online distribution service ever be helpful for people without an Internet connection? I assumed by this that you meant they had no long term Internet access, by the way. If you just meant temporarily, then you can use Offline mode. I don't know why so many people are against it - it works fine as long as your games are updated.

To be honest, I think Valve are one of the most decent companies out there in the video games industry - customers get a lot of value for their money. I mean, TF2 is still receiving major updates, as will Left 4 Dead when it's released. However, if I had to pick something, the region locking is a bit annoying. Can't access Ubisoft games on Steam over here in the UK (except Far Cry 2).

Minimum system requirements on the box say : Internet connection required. If you can't read those and take that on board, I'm afraid the problem is with you, not Valve. And right now there are millions of Steam accounts, with hundreds of thousands of people playing on Steam 24/7. Valve must have done something right there don't you think?

I'm fine using steam. I just think that it isnt thought out that well and it is a pain for me because I dont have the net on the computer I will be playing on, so every time I get a new steam game i have to take my bulky pc over a mates house to install it.

They lied about the dynamic AI and deformable terrain that was supposed to present in HL2.
They never said anything about it after the E3 videos so when we finally played the demo/full game, we basically found out that everything we saw in the videos was all completely scripted.(combine soldiers kicking a door with a table in front of it, strider blasting apart buildings to navigate through them) basically we were supposed to be getting a new experience every time we played the game.

This.

Yeah when they lied about the ai I was pretty disappointed, I actually thought that ravenholm vid from back in the day was real ai but it turned out to be fake. Also I see where the guy is coming from about steam being online to play offline games. It wouldn't even let me play deus ex when the internet wasn't working due to a storm not too long ago. There's also the patches, where valve screws things up sometimes and there is no option to roll back the patch, and valve won't do it because they think it'll make them look bad. And can't forget about release dates, valve can never get them right. They need to stop telling people "it'll be out on x day/in x month" and then missing the release date (sometimes twice or more for the same game). Valve is a great company, one of my favorite game companies but they are far from perfect.

Valve made me spend more money than I should have!

Must wait thirty seconds...

They didnt lie about the AI, but i am pissed at them for making it hard to get a girlfriend!

I'm mad at them for making it hard for me to pull myself way from my computer.

I like Valve.
I mean they update frequently and the TF2 update thingys are free.
They haven't really pissed me off.
Although if someone knew my password, all my money would be lost.

They are giving people access to the Left 4 Dead demo if they've paid.

Although if someone knew my password, all my money would be lost.

This has happend to me before. but its so easy to fix. Just go to the Steam site and go to support. You can send out a message that only people from Steam can read. Just tell em your account got broken into, tell em all your account info, and give some of the Cd-keys to your games and theyll reset the password and send it to you via email.

So even if this problem occurs, not to worry.

Cause me to fail two tests the week HL2 came out.

They are giving people access to the Left 4 Dead demo if they've paid.

^^ this

Isn't the purpose of a demo to try to convince people to buy the game? Why is valve giving people who bought it already a chance to play it like a week before everyone else. It makes no sense.

Well it rewards the people who pre-ordered.

There is also a marketing aspect. Valve are pretty confident that they have something big on their hands and by releasing the demo to people predisposed to the game your going to generate a lot of hype. Enough to generate more pre-orders or have people very interested in the public demo release five days later.

The requirement of being online when playing offline games is absurd. What's the point of the "offline mode" if you can't even play your single-player games? Or use source SDK. What the hell, Valve?!

Also, Half-Life 2's "episodic releases" where we have to wait years for 4+ hours of play time and very few, if any new weapons/enemies. Oh, and treating the player like they're 7 years old. "Don't forget to reload, Gordon!" "Press fire 1 to shoot"..

Ok, episode 3 might be a change to this, but that will only be seen in the future.
At least Valve redeem themselves by giving us one of the greatest gifts of all : Source Development Kit <3 .

you do realize that valve puts in quality instead of quantity right? Note-facial exspressions, character voice acting, ect. So you sir, "Respectively", should shut your mouth.

They didn't make "the other half life 2" (for those who wonder: check up Raising the Bar).

Steam being a bitch sooooo much /dial-up angst

Forcing me to result to consoles because of glitches. :/ If I could keep updating my computer every two years I'd be fine.

Oh, and the lack of Mr. Friendly. :/

I order Mr. Friendly to rape you.

Forcing me to result to consoles because of glitches. :/ If I could keep updating my computer every two years I'd be fine.

Oh, and the lack of Mr. Friendly. :/

Enjoy the glitches you get in console games and the longer or lack of patching support to fix them.

I hear Gears 2 is pretty bugged out right now. Especially the multiplayer.

Yep, Off-line mode
-----
Steam is annoying as hell when you're stuck with dial-up. But believe me, it used to be a lot worse.

Edit: Steam offline mode doesn't always work. It used to work a lot less than it does not but it still doesn't always work. I've not had trouble getting Steam to start in offline mode in some time, but I still get games refusing to work offline. A couple weeks back HL2, EP2 and Portal were refusing to work offline until I updated them fully (which Valve claimed is no longer nessisary) but EP1 and TF2 were (and I know TF2 wasn't fully updated).

Steam. Yeesh.

Already, Portal isn't working? "this game can't be played in offline mode," "this game is unavailable, try again later." Such a pain. :(

OK, so the HL2 series *is* the first game I ever played that was not either 1) made in the mid-'90s or 2) made by a company that was either out of business or in the throes of bankruptcy when I bought it, and it certainly hasn't done anything to make me extensively regret the purchase, but I still don't like Steam.

Maybe I ought to go back to my old computer now and play some old games, where the only "DRM" scheme was the need to have the game CD to play it, and even that being a side-effect of the fact that games had more files than most computers had hard drive space. :D

All the problems that Steam has given me in the past, all the problems it is currently giving me, and all the problems it will, on doubt in the future, will give me.

Valve and their censorship... Bad enough that they fagged up Germany's Orange Box with their nazi-like censorship, but the censored games have gone to other parts of Europe as well. I know it's actually Germany's fault, but I think Valve should've had a little more backbone than that, considering that Dead Space is sold in Germany...

*Sigh* ***king censorship..

Well that's because that's what Germans are made of.

i have 2 main grievances with valve:

-their so called "speedy" episodic content.
-no love for the xbox as of yet.

Back